ADVERTISEMENT

You Don't Walk My Halls

Current teams ineligible for the playoffs due to opt down.

B
South Sioux City = 2-3

C1
Schuyler = 0-5
Nebraska City = 3-2

C2
Gibbon = 3-2 (mid-cycle eligible)
Gordon-Rushville = 3-2 (mid-cycle eligible)
Valentine = 0-4

D1
Conestoga = 0-5
Madison = 1-4
Wakefield = 1-4
Palmyra = 4-1
Ravenna = 1-4 (mid-cycle eligible)

- If there were bullies in this scenario, there would only be one or two bullies. Majority of teams opting down are probably doing a service for the bottom of the receiving class. It gives them another team to be competitive with. Opt downs, for the most part, are not negatively impacting anyone. I do see both sides of it though. I'm sure teams have not enjoyed having Palmyra and Wakefield be on their schedule, especially when those games could impact other playoff eligible teams.

- Valid point about Power Points, you should receive the same bonus as playing up a class, especially when the state sets the schedule and you don't get to say no.

- What they should do is change the numbers for classification due to dropping football participation numbers nationwide. Football is not the "well everyone just goes out" sport anymore. I would say increase the 11-man/8-man/6-man cut off by 8-10 boys. Those who want to stay 11-man or 8-man will stay that way, and then those that need to drop will do so. You eliminate some of the opt-downs because they are now eligible. Those who continue to opt-down are probably not going to hurt anyone.

- Nebraska has an odd population problem. Co-ops and consolidations are a great solution but will not happen because they are not forced, communities fear losing identity, and sometimes distance is a huge turnoff. Wakefield was close to a co-op and balked at colors and mascot choices. That decision seems to have been made by a very select few that hurt the kids involved. I like the opt-down rule because it's an easy solution to lack of participation numbers, but getting rid of the opt-down rule could force the hand of some schools to find co-ops/consolidations. If it is truly about the kids and not just about wins and losses, you'll find a way to make a co-op so you're playing on Friday nights instead of Monday nights. I can't help but think that if Wakefield didn't have the opportunity to opt-down, they would have signed off on the co-op. IF they were that proud to be maroon Trojans, then they would be more than happy to do it on Monday night.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
So a team like Kimball who has a 3 year enrollment boy count of 43 becomes a "Bully" if they opt down to 6 man just to field a team? They only had 10 out, woof. Yes, it's 8 man going down to 6 man, but what is different? How could the NSAA justify your logic in one class but not others? Are they a "Bully" heavens no, it would be in the best interest of THEIR KIDS.
It easy to pull one team out and say but look at this, I can give many many examples of teams opting down and winning 50 to 0 for several years The need of the many must out way the need of the few
so this year you are correct but two years or a year ago you would be dead wrong I also believe allowing teams to drop down a class just prolongs what needs to happen, which is a coop or consolidation and shares the problem they have with other teams now, If it just about playing then why not just play each other ???????

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
So a team like Kimball who has a 3 year enrollment boy count of 43 becomes a "Bully" if they opt down to 6 man just to field a team? They only had 10 out, woof. Yes, it's 8 man going down to 6 man, but what is different? How could the NSAA justify your logic in one class but not others? Are they a "Bully" heavens no, it would be in the best interest of THEIR KIDS.
You keep stressing THEIR KIDS, why should other schools be forced to accommodate to other kids when they can not build a culture or support for football. If there is not internal support for football then maybe they just shouldn't play or co-op with a school down the road

It easy to pull one team out and say but look at this, I can give many many examples of teams opting down and winning 50 to 0 for several years The need of the many must out way the need of the few
so this year you are correct but two years or a year ago you would be dead wrong I also believe allowing teams to drop down a class just prolongs what needs to happen, which is a coop or consolidation and shares the problem they have with other teams now, If it just about playing then why not just play each other ???????
Give us the teams, records, and scores please.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I was clear. If a team CANNOT field a team, they can opt down. Form a chicken league and play others like them. No team should EVER be allowed to opt down and still play 11 man (or 8 man for that matter). For a team to do that, just to have a better chance to win, is beneath contempt, imo. I can't WAIT until wrestlers are allowed to do that. They can't qualify for state, but can eliminate a wrestler actually in that class... You, yourself, said it isn't fun to lose so that's why we should allow it. And if a team declares for 8 man (or 6), any school can decide not to play them. It isn't a school in D2's, or C2, fault that you can't field a team. Play in your class or suspend your program. Seems simple.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
Maybe we should just go back to when 6-man football wasn't associated with the NSAA so then any team can play and nobody can complain!!!! Didn't Hitchcock get like state runner-up one year but opted to play 6-man vs D2 8-man football? I would say that is all about the kids back then, and if I were you I'd be damn proud to be associated with a State Runner-up Team vs "they just shouldn't play". Pretty bold statement coming from an Alumni...
The 6 Man association didn't just let any team play. IIRC teams had to be voted in. I know of at least 2 examples of teams that were told "No." I guess they missed the memo and actually cared about fairness and less about "the kids".

What I see is that 12 scools had their seasons affected by losing to a team they shouldn't even have had to play. Too bad those little schools couldn't go build THEIR culture and had to lose.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
Why can't the kids of a C2 school who opt down and are ineligible for 8 man playoffs anyway just play a JV schedule in 11 man and gain their success and grow their program that way? Either way they aren't making playoffs, but by dropping down they now can impact the points of every team on their schedule that is eligible for playoffs. Culture doesn't need to be built by dropping down a class when your enrollment dictates that you should be in C2 playing 11man or D1 playing 8 man instead of 6.
NSAA will NOT allow a JV only schedule. Twin River tried desperately to do this. They were told that they are under contract to field a Varsity team and would not be allowed to play JV only.

It is actually a good idea (in my opinion).

I agree with other posts. Start giving the MANY MANY examples of opt down teams winning 50-0. I want to verify this because I don't believe it.

Nebraska City has a 61-14 win over Omaha Concordia. Palmyra has four wins by a combined 190 points (47.5 avg).

As for JV scheduling, two years ago Franklin and Wallace both played JV only schedules.

Nebraska City has a 47-0 win over Schuyler and a 61-14 win over Omaha Concordia. Palmyra has four wins by a combined 190 points (47.5 avg).

As for JV scheduling, two years ago Franklin and Wallace both played JV only schedules.
How ironic that you use NE City's win over Schuyler when they both opt down....

Ravenna (7-1)
DateOpponentClassW-LDivW/LScorePoints

08/30/19AmherstD12-63W54-1040
09/06/19@ CambridgeD18-01L40-7438
09/13/19Osceola-High PlainsD16-21W52-4550
09/27/19FullertonD17-11W36-1850
10/04/19@ SheltonD11-73W50-840
10/11/19PalmerD13-52W70-4845
10/18/19@ Nebraska ChristianD14-42W70-3045
10/25/19@ HeartlandD12-63W78-1440

Wakefield (7-1)

08/30/19CreightonD15-32W28-2245
09/13/19@ Howells-DodgeD18-01L28-3038
09/20/19Lutheran High NortheastD15-32W58-2445
09/27/19@ Omaha NationD10-83W68-640
10/04/19HomerD14-42W68-2645
10/11/19Guardian Angels Central CatholicD14-42W50-3645
10/18/19@ WinnebagoD11-73W86-2240
10/25/19@ Wisner-PilgerD17-11W62-2650

Reactions: nenebskers
Nebraska City has a 61-14 win over Omaha Concordia. Palmyra has four wins by a combined 190 points (47.5 avg).

Also, Schuyler has scored 8 total points in 5 games. Those darned bullies!

I'd run through a brick wall for a Coach like Hassler, you can't teach passion for winning, it's innate. I can understand someone who has been on the other side of the wall being upset at getting pounded by a Mike Hassler team, I think we know which side of the wall you've been on.
Have you watched hi antics on the sideline? Unless he is winning, he is constantly complaining about calls, yelling at officials and pouting. I have not been on the other side of his ways, but I have officiated him numerous times. He does not conduct himself in a manner that would be used as a role model to kids. I'm guessing you played for him, which is good for you, but be realistic.

I agree. Each school needs to do what is best for their kids. Now, does Kimball have a huge advantage playing 6 man against Banner County. Yes they do. I'm not sure what the answer is but I think we can all agree those two teams playing in the same district would be unfair. I'd be interested to see what Kimball has done in an effort to help the football team. If I recall they have been in the 16-20 range of suited up kids the last couple of years. What has that school done to get kids interested or excited about playing football? I realize getting beat and having little success does not help this out. Kids don't want to go out if they know they will just get beat on. Quitting or not going out can get pretty contagious for kids. All it takes is a couple of the better athletes to do it and it makes it easier for the marginal kids who fill out the jv and scout teams to say "no thanks". Its looks like its becoming more of an issue that coaches are going to have to recruit their own hallways more. If I'm Kimball or some of these other schools that are having to opt down, I'm having some serious discussions with every coach at my school about what we have to do to get kids out. Get them excited and have them buy in. In my opinion it is the job of the football coach to urge kids to go out for winter and spring sports as well and vice versa. Small schools need multi sport athletes to compete. It just really makes me wonder what high school football will look like in central and western nebraska in 10 years. Co-ops are much harder to work out than when the schools are 8-10 miles down the highway from each other.

Reactions: bballcoach15
Ravenna (7-1)

08/30/19AmherstD12-63W54-1040
09/06/19@ CambridgeD18-01L40-7438
09/13/19Osceola-High PlainsD16-21W52-4550
09/27/19FullertonD17-11W36-1850
10/04/19@ SheltonD11-73W50-840
10/11/19PalmerD13-52W70-4845
10/18/19@ Nebraska ChristianD14-42W70-3045
10/25/19@ HeartlandD12-63W78-1440
Ravenna isn't really an "opt-down" team in the sense that I believe this thread is referencing. They are playoff eligible.

Palmyra's win over Conestoga accounts for 58 of their points and Conestoga opted down from C1
I dont want this to turn into bash schools, the schools who opt down are following the rules and are playing by the current rule. The question is should some adjustments be made to the rule or should it be eliminated all together

Have you watched hi antics on the sideline? Unless he is winning, he is constantly complaining about calls, yelling at officials and pouting. I have not been on the other side of his ways, but I have officiated him numerous times. He does not conduct himself in a manner that would be used as a role model to kids. I'm guessing you played for him, which is good for you, but be realistic.
Riiiiiiiiight, because complaining about officiating is what determines a good coach. Sounds like your anti excellence because you've never been it

freak-out-crying-man.gif

They opt down and beat the hell out of people, then never go back up (as the system, in a perfect world, would be designed for). If they did it to build a program, and he is such an excellent coach, why haven't they moved up to where they belong? Instead they stay and break state rushing records against outmatched teams. Real Impressive.

Give other schools their due - they try to build their way out. SSC, for example, plays a schedule that is majority class A, and both of their wins are against class A schools, even though they are declared as class B.

Reactions: runningback43
A lot easier to have winning teams when your enrollment is higher than the schools you're playing against. I'm going to guess that there are quite a few schools in this state that would have better win loss records if they played down as well.

I absolutely respect coaching at every level. I happen to believe that the best coaches in this state, that I have personally seen/interacted with, are largely at the 6 and 8 man level, where they develop talent to compete. I believe a coach that consistently wins at those levels, with a very small pool of athletes that they have probably coached directly or indirectly from middle school on up, demonstrates the best of our profession.

What they don't do is say they have more struggles than other schools, drop down to play with schools half their size to "build their program and develop success" then decline to move back up to their appropriate enrollment class once they have "built their program and developed success".

Reactions: runningback43
Your players would still have a chance to play football, the can open option enroll into wayne or and other surrounding school and play football, or you can play a 8 game JV schedule ever year, you have many option, its just the easy option to opt down and share your problems and make them problems for others. I agree the enrollment cut off should be above 50 or at least 50, again your AD can write this proposal and submit to vote in your NSAA district, you can do this every year if you want and if the rest of the state agrees with a majority vote it will be. I did not see that increase proposal last year ?

How many games has class A lost after the games started being played? They have not lost more than any other class. NSAA had their chance to reschedule and put teams in different districts and chose not too. I'm not disagreeing with you and your statement about what NSAA said - I just think it's totally wrong to change only class A postseason and no other class. Cancellations and postponements have happened in every class and will for sure affect every class and their postseason. Sorry for the rant - just my opinion.

Case point 1. life is full of scarifies, you can not have your cake and eat too
Case point #2, see answer to one
Case point #3 your schools problem not other school, also see case point one answer
Case point #4 in life you dont get everything you want, and thats a fact
People like you and this feel sorry for me generation that doesn't want to work and wants a easier path, is why sports are declining as far as football it leads all sports in participation by double the amount
Higschooolfootballnut - I am a coach who has coached against Coach Hassler and Wakefield many times. I am sorry, but your take on this is not a realistic take. You seriously think that Wakefield should just not play football and that their students who want to play football should option enroll?? That may be the most uninformed opinion I have heard. Wakefield is doing what they need to give their kids a quality High School experience. I support them as an opposing coach even though I have won some and lost some against them. It is a choice they made to play 8-man, and they made it for noble reasons. They did not make it so they could put other schools at a disadvantage, they did it to give their kids the best experience they could. I see nothing wrong with what they did.

Higschooolfootballnut - I am a coach who has coached against Coach Hassler and Wakefield many times. I am sorry, but your take on this is not a realistic take. You seriously think that Wakefield should just not play football and that their students who want to play football should option enroll?? That may be the most uninformed opinion I have heard. Wakefield is doing what they need to give their kids a quality High School experience. I support them as an opposing coach even though I have won some and lost some against them. It is a choice they made to play 8-man, and they made it for noble reasons. They did not make it so they could put other schools at a disadvantage, they did it to give their kids the best experience they could. I see nothing wrong with what they did.
I'm not Nut, and for me it isn't about Wakefield. I know nothing about the place. So they HAVE to play 8 man? Only get 12, 13, 14 kids out for football? Nothing "noble" about choosing a course that involves unfair advantages. And being in a bigger school and choosing to play smaller ones is, by any definition, an unfair advantage. I know the rules allow for it, but the rules are wrong. It's an awful, illogical rule. Again, let's allow wrestlers who can compete in A, to choose their class. They can't qualify for state, but they can keep you from doing so, affect your bracket, etc. That would be "noble" I guess. And give THAT kid the best experience he can get.

I'm not Nut, and for me it isn't about Wakefield. I know nothing about the place. So they HAVE to play 8 man? Only get 12, 13, 14 kids out for football? Nothing "noble" about choosing a course that involves unfair advantages. And being in a bigger school and choosing to play smaller ones is, by any definition, an unfair advantage. I know the rules allow for it, but the rules are wrong. It's an awful, illogical rule. Again, let's allow wrestlers who can compete in A, to choose their class. They can't qualify for state, but they can keep you from doing so, affect your bracket, etc. That would be "noble" I guess. And give THAT kid the best experience he can get.
I agree

My point is that "successful coaching" is not about success in wins & losses, my high school football coach taught me how to work hard and strive for excellence no matter what class we're in. Do your best, be a team player and fight for what's right. That's what I believe Coach Hassler strives for. Ill say again, and one last time, you can't teach passion and that's what Mike has, don't condemn him for it.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
My point is that "successful coaching" is not about success in wins & losses, my high school football coach taught me how to work hard and strive for excellence no matter what class we're in. Do your best, be a team player and fight for what's right. That's what I believe Coach Hassler strives for. Ill say again, and one last time, you can't teach passion and that's what Mike has, don't condemn him for it.
Fine. They should do all that cool stuff in the class they BELONG in. Otherwise it just exposes their character.

If a C2 school needs to drop down to 8-man to field a team, let 'em. Living closer to a Casey's or Dollar General does not automatically make someone a more naturally gifted football player.

Reactions: coachlanum
What amazes me the most about this thread is that most of you bashing said program for opting down have no idea what the situation is at said school. Maybe if you guys would open your eyes a little bit and do some research - you would be able to understand and comprehend what this thread is all about.

What amazes me the most about this thread is that most of you bashing said program for opting down have no idea what the situation is at said school. Maybe if you guys would open your eyes a little bit and do some research - you would be able to understand and comprehend what this thread is all about.
Those schools are following the current rule and they are doing what they feel is best for their program. I believe a easy rule change would be schools that are eligible for their class, should have an option to play or not play teams opting down, what would that hurt ?

Y'all have made fun of the thread title, but what it means is don't judge players and coaches until you've walked mile in their shoes. You really think players/coaches can control the situation?
For those with the fake rage, just remember:
1- teams opting down are doing what the rules allow
2- if you have such an issue, have your AD put in a proposal to get rid of opting down

If a C2 school needs to drop down to 8-man to field a team, let 'em. Living closer to a Casey's or Dollar General does not automatically make someone a more naturally gifted football player.
Its more about having a much larger pool of students that get to participate being the issue. I've got no problem with the opt down deal, as very few of these schools have any success when they do. Honestly, I see several of these opt down schools on film and many of them have trouble adjusting to the 8 man game. They still like to sit in shotgun with 3 wide and sling the ball around. Some play gimmick defenses that don't make much sense either. Many of them struggle with physicality upfront, even when they have good looking players up there. Its pretty evident that for most of the schools it is a culture/heart problem. Opting down may give them a chance to rectify that, but some of these guys need to help themselves out and coach to their talent. Sometimes lining up and running the clock is the best thing you can do to help your kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT