ADVERTISEMENT

You Don't Walk My Halls

I completely forgot that they blew up that co-op. I'm sure there is more there than we know (I'm not really local to NE Nebraska) but still - word was that it was them that backed out. I guess they didn't want to solve all of those things that are apparently wrong, so they can play in the class they should be in. I'd like to believe better of him/that school, but it is what it is.
I'm going to eat some crow, as from what I can tell Wakefield's coach was one of the stronger supporters of that consolidation, and said so here on this site. I went back to read the thread about it because I had only seen heard about it in other locations, not on here. It really isn't fair of me to put the decisions of others on his back. When it comes down to it, I don't know why adults would mess with kids being able to have opportunities, and I need to stay in my lane and not blame him for it.

I'm going to eat some crow, as from what I can tell Wakefield's coach was one of the stronger supporters of that consolidation, and said so here on this site. I went back to read the thread about it because I had only seen heard about it in other locations, not on here. It really isn't fair of me to put the decisions of others on his back. When it comes down to it, I don't know why adults would mess with kids being able to have opportunities, and I need to stay in my lane and not blame him for it.
Well done. I have had to eat some crow myself and I commend you for publicly pointing this out.

Reactions: JAW20
I completely forgot that they blew up that co-op. I'm sure there is more there than we know (I'm not really local to NE Nebraska) but still - word was that it was them that backed out. I guess they didn't want to solve all of those things that are apparently wrong, so they can play in the class they should be in. I'd like to believe better of him/that school, but it is what it is.
The coach was all for the coop, said so publicly and I believe also on this forum at one time. Their board however ultimately was not. Their Superintendent ended up resigning a few weeks later after the decision.

Not "Deaf", exactly...just tired of the same old excuses by teams thinking somehow there problems are worse than anybody else's. I know several 11 man teams who would LOVE to have such "low" numbers as mid to upper 20's. I have no problems with Wakefield, specifically. Never been there, never going to make a special effort to do so. Pretty much a non-entity in my mind. The excuse making and trying to justifying just gets so incredibly tiresome. You know who you are. Everybody knows who you are. All those wins you're being "crucified" for? Those dare games that should never have been played. You keep any real Class D teams out of the playoffs? Affect any seeding that might have allowed a home game, or matchups that could have let a team win a game or two? Cause any injuries to an actual team in the class, in a game that shouldn't have been played in the first place? You get off on beating up Class D schools with roster numbers approaching 30, fine, whatever. Don't care. Just quit pretending you're doing it for some other reason than to gain a competitive advantage, ok? No team should be able to "opt down". IF it's a numbers requirement they should only play each other. No school that's excited about bullying little schools should ever be allowed to affect that school. Maybe these C2's having to forfeit should be able to demand an 8 man game, instead?
some very good points

Not "Deaf", exactly...just tired of the same old excuses by teams thinking somehow there problems are worse than anybody else's. I know several 11 man teams who would LOVE to have such "low" numbers as mid to upper 20's. I have no problems with Wakefield, specifically. Never been there, never going to make a special effort to do so. Pretty much a non-entity in my mind. The excuse making and trying to justifying just gets so incredibly tiresome. You know who you are. Everybody knows who you are. All those wins you're being "crucified" for? Those dare games that should never have been played. You keep any real Class D teams out of the playoffs? Affect any seeding that might have allowed a home game, or matchups that could have let a team win a game or two? Cause any injuries to an actual team in the class, in a game that shouldn't have been played in the first place? You get off on beating up Class D schools with roster numbers approaching 30, fine, whatever. Don't care. Just quit pretending you're doing it for some other reason than to gain a competitive advantage, ok? No team should be able to "opt down". IF it's a numbers requirement they should only play each other. No school that's excited about bullying little schools should ever be allowed to affect that school. Maybe these C2's having to forfeit should be able to demand an 8 man game, instead?
This response is from one with “deaf” ears. I’m sure you know all the answers to those questions and seem a little perturbed that you lost a game “that shouldn’t have even been played.” Sorry you missed out on ordering state playoff shirts. Doesn’t class D take 32 teams into the playoffs?

You're part of the reason that rural Nebraska is bleeding population. Stay in your little world where everything is perfect, and everyone lives in the same world as you.

Highplains dont worry, you made some good points and you know when you make good points when most of the answer backs are just insults, Like I said the schools that are doing what they are doing are following the current rules, they are also saying they will never build a program ever and will always just play a regular season and never compete for a single playoff win. Its a program in a direction but that direction is flat and never goes any where. Its their choice. Only in todays society is it seen as a forever choice. Some are stuck, with no one wanting to coop and they see this as their only choice. I Still say a 7-1 8-man team could win a few 11-man games and build a program but thats not how they see it. This is just my view right or wrong. I still say the school playing in their class should get to choose if they want to play opting down teams or not, just like that school got to choose not to play in their class and opt down, only seems fair doesnt it ?

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Highplains dont worry, you made some good points and you know when you make good points when most of the answer backs are just insults, Like I said the schools that are doing what they are doing are following the current rules, they are also saying they will never build a program ever and will always just play a regular season and never compete for a single playoff win. Its a program in a direction but that direction is flat and never goes any where. Its their choice. Only in todays society is it seen as a forever choice. Some are stuck, with no one wanting to coop and they see this as their only choice. I Still say a 7-1 8-man team could win a few 11-man games and build a program but thats not how they see it. This is just my view right or wrong. I still say the school playing in their class should get to choose if they want to play opting down teams or not, just like that school got to choose not to play in their class and opt down, only seems fair doesnt it ?
I have an honest question for you.....do you commend these teams that are forfeiting games for trying to build their program? Or are you upset that some team doesn't get a chance to play on Friday night? As far as scheduling goes - tell your AD to submit a proposal for this to happen. I've already stated to you that I could care less who plays who. But my only question would be - would you decline to play all teams that opt down or just the teams that are good? Records aren't indicating they are world beaters. I guess if I was trying to build a program and good culture - I would want my kids to embrace the challenges in front of them, rather than having to tell them that we don't want to play certain teams.

Here's another question.....what are your thoughts on a C-2 team playing a C-1 team during the regular season? An example would be Norfolk Catholic playing Pierce while they are C-2 - this could be for any class. They didn't seem to think that Pierce held an advantage since they were in a class above them - that's a championship program that isn't afraid to play anyone. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
The coach was all for the coop, said so publicly and I believe also on this forum at one time. Their board however ultimately was not. Their Superintendent ended up resigning a few weeks later after the decision.
Ding, ding, ding. You hit it on the head...... The Super was the one leading on these other schools and making promises he couldn't keep.... I can't deny the 11th hour crap that gave us a black eye, none of us that are still here can, it happened...... there was a reason why he "resigned"..... he was not good for the Wakefield school.

Reactions: Power_I_82
I said that I wasn't gonna get into anymore arguments on here, and I'm not. I stated some facts and you claim them as "excuses." I respect those opinions and you have that right......

I do hope that you aren't really a coach though..... It seems you hold some serious grudges, and don't really seem to have much respect for anyone else's situations but your own. If you are a coach, I pray that you can somehow change and learn to respect others' viewpoints that may vary from your own.

As we all know, kids come from many different cultures, backgrounds, living situations, etc. The last thing they need is someone this hardheaded and refuses to relate to others.

Actually the Wakefield school board had a “special” meeting the following Monday after they voted no. The Wakefield coach (Hassler) stood in front of the crowd of people that came and told them that people had been coming up to him asking if he was mad or disappointed it didn’t happen. He said he told them no he wasn’t mad or disappointed, in fact he was glad it didn’t happen now and he believed it was for the best that it didn’t. I know he said these things because I was at that meeting. He didn’t come on here and let you all know he said that did he? He came on here saying just the opposite of what he said at that meeting. I guess I just wouldn’t be feeling too sorry for him.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Looking at current rosters in the top 10 of D1, you will find roster sizes in the upper 20s and mid 30s. You will find roster sizes similar in the bottom half of C2. Serious question, would any of the current 8 man schools be opposed to bumping up cutoff numbers to reflect participation problems? I am not sure how they chose the current cutoff numbers but I think they should be adjusted based on the slipping participation numbers. It was a good starting point but definitely should be revisited. Bump 11man/8man cutoff to 57-60? And then bump 8man/6man cutoff to 35?

I have an honest question for you.....do you commend these teams that are forfeiting games for trying to build their program? Or are you upset that some team doesn't get a chance to play on Friday night? As far as scheduling goes - tell your AD to submit a proposal for this to happen. I've already stated to you that I could care less who plays who. But my only question would be - would you decline to play all teams that opt down or just the teams that are good? Records aren't indicating they are world beaters. I guess if I was trying to build a program and good culture - I would want my kids to embrace the challenges in front of them, rather than having to tell them that we don't want to play certain teams.

Here's another question.....what are your thoughts on a C-2 team playing a C-1 team during the regular season? An example would be Norfolk Catholic playing Pierce while they are C-2 - this could be for any class. They didn't seem to think that Pierce held an advantage since they were in a class above them - that's a championship program that isn't afraid to play anyone. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
C2 playing C1 is a choice Schools choose to play up, they submit to play that team, I agree if thats what a school wants to do, then fine let them, but it should be choice to play them or not, I would have no problem playing them but some schools maybe struggling and just do not want to, just like if a C2 plays a C1 its a choice to play and submitted to state, it should be a choice. I still feel that opting down has lots of effects on teams that only favor the opting down teams

Last edited:
If they are in the same class - yes. I'm beginning to wonder how bad your team got beat by a team opting down?
Great try. You are wrong. Parkview pulling their kids out of a population base of 250,000 is a bit of and advantage over Banner County pulling theirs from 150. I'm beginning to wonder how bad you got brainwashed at Catholic school growing up. It's ok to just admit you are wrong. Also, my school doesn't play opt down teams so come up with something else.

Riiiiiiiiight, because complaining about officiating is what determines a good coach. Sounds like your anti excellence because you've never been it

freak-out-crying-man.gif
when that's all he does is complain, it gets a little tiring. I too have been a coach for 20 years and officiating football was something I decided to try for a couple years. I won't get into anything else other than coach your kids and the rest will fall into place. Even when you lose, you still coach your kids, not sit on the sideline and pout.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
C2 playing C1 is a choice Schools choose to play up, they submit to play that team, I agree if thats what a school wants to do, then fine let them, but it should be choice to play them or not, I would have no problem playing them but some schools maybe struggling and just do not want to, just like if a C2 plays a C1 its a choice to play and submitted to state, it should be a choice. I still feel that opting down has lots of effects on teams that only favor the opting down teams
I should have used that example the other way - poor example by me. I guess I'm still curious of your answer about the forfeits?

Great try. You are wrong. Parkview pulling their kids out of a population base of 250,000 is a bit of and advantage over Banner County pulling theirs from 150. I'm beginning to wonder how bad you got brainwashed at Catholic school growing up. It's ok to just admit you are wrong. Also, my school doesn't play opt down teams so come up with something else.
HA I'm furthest from a Catholic or even attending a Catholic school. I would really hate to see the culture of your program - seems like you have every excuse in the book when your team loses. Maybe you should contact the NSAA and see if you can just hand pick the 7 worst teams in your area. It's ok to admit that you have tunnel vision on what's really happening.

HA I'm furthest from a Catholic or even attending a Catholic school. I would really hate to see the culture of your program - seems like you have every excuse in the book when your team loses. Maybe you should contact the NSAA and see if you can just hand pick the 7 worst teams in your area. It's ok to admit that you have tunnel vision on what's really happening.
JFC...you must be an open scroller on the Rivals page. All you guys spew the same crap. I'm done with this. Have a great day!

• Haha
Reactions: GoSkers3
I believe that all schools should be allowed to pick their non district opponents. I also believe that games against non playoff eligible teams should have no power point value. They count toward nothing so they can't hurt an opponents' wild card status. Remember, a win over a winless team CAN actually hurt a teams point average.

Looking at current rosters in the top 10 of D1, you will find roster sizes in the upper 20s and mid 30s. You will find roster sizes similar in the bottom half of C2. Serious question, would any of the current 8 man schools be opposed to bumping up cutoff numbers to reflect participation problems? I am not sure how they chose the current cutoff numbers but I think they should be adjusted based on the slipping participation numbers. It was a good starting point but definitely should be revisited. Bump 11man/8man cutoff to 57-60? And then bump 8man/6man cutoff to 35?
Yes, current 8 man schools oppose moving that number up. That is why it is so hard to move it. When it comes time to vote, the 8 and 6 man teams outnumber the C2 coaches by a lot.

This response is from one with “deaf” ears. I’m sure you know all the answers to those questions and seem a little perturbed that you lost a game “that shouldn’t have even been played.” Sorry you missed out on ordering state playoff shirts. Doesn’t class D take 32 teams into the playoffs?
% teams that qualify for the football play-offs, 2021 cycle year:
Class A= 16/31. 51.6%
Class B= 16/24. 66.6%
Class C-1= 16/41. 39.0%
Class C-2= 16/31. 51.6%
Class D-1= 32/53. 60.3%
Class D-2= 32/52. 61.5%
Class D-6= 16/35. 45.7%

Reactions: Yossarian23
29 is the highest roster we've had since 2011, but there have been years where we suited in the teens due to injuries and ineligibility. Can check with our coaches to see what our lowest number on that was, but I'm not a coach.
back in the day, opting down was not an option. Playing 11 man with no more than 25 was our year, every year. We had to play Wakefield when they had Justin Mackling and those teams. We won 8 games in 4 years in C-2 and never had more than 25 out, often times suiting less than 20. So why does it have to be an option now. I will tell you why, it's because we live in this world where everything has to be fair.

Opting down destroys so many teams chances at playoffs, which in D1 and D2 we give way to many playoff spots the way it is. If I recall, didn't Wakefield get their kids all District Championship rings a couple years ago when they won their district, but had to sit home for the playoffs. Never in my 40 years have I ever heard of a school doing that. That falls on coaches and how arrogant they are. My rant is over, enjoy your day and the last couple regular season games for all!

Reactions: Power_I_82
Class A= 16/31. 51.6%
Class B= 16/24. 66.6%
Class C-1= 16/41. 39.0%
Class C-2= 16/31. 51.6%
Class D-1= 32/53. 60.3%
Class D-2= 32/52. 61.5%
Class D-6= 16/35. 45.7%
look at the class A, B, D-1, D-2, and D6 numbers. That is ridiculous. The playoffs is a privilege, but it Nebraska it is a right, especially in those classes. What a joke. Its all about the money for the NSAA

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Class A= 16/31. 51.6%
Class B= 16/24. 66.6%
Class C-1= 16/41. 39.0%
Class C-2= 16/31. 51.6%
Class D-1= 32/53. 60.3%
Class D-2= 32/52. 61.5%
Class D-6= 16/35. 45.7%
Since it doesn't matter how many kids you have in school, only the number you get out for football according to some, lets do this:

Move the top 8 B teams to A (new total 39)
Move the bottom 16 B teams to C1 (new total of 44)
Move the bottom 13 C-1 teams to C-2 (total of 44)
Split D1 and D2
D-6 stays the same

Cut D1 and D2 to 24 teams with 1st round byes for the top 8

What were the never-used co-op name, colors, and nickname in the Wakefield deal?

back in the day, opting down was not an option. Playing 11 man with no more than 25 was our year, every year. We had to play Wakefield when they had Justin Mackling and those teams. We won 8 games in 4 years in C-2 and never had more than 25 out, often times suiting less than 20. So why does it have to be an option now. I will tell you why, it's because we live in this world where everything has to be fair.

Opting down destroys so many teams chances at playoffs, which in D1 and D2 we give way to many playoff spots the way it is. If I recall, didn't Wakefield get their kids all District Championship rings a couple years ago when they won their district, but had to sit home for the playoffs. Never in my 40 years have I ever heard of a school doing that. That falls on coaches and how arrogant they are. My rant is over, enjoy your day and the last couple regular season games for all!
I am not going to argue with you here yellowstone, but I am going to asks for some specifics for clarification purposes. Opting Down destroys so many teams chances of playoffs.....I am curious to know who all of these teams are. I don't know how to find that data or I would just look it up. 11 Man opting is a non factor because those teams are not hurting anyone. I am just curious who all of these teams are that have been getting their playoff dreams crushed by the opt down teams. Seeding, I understand.

Also, teach me how to look this stuff up.

I am not going to argue with you here yellowstone, but I am going to asks for some specifics for clarification purposes. Opting Down destroys so many teams chances of playoffs.....I am curious to know who all of these teams are. I don't know how to find that data or I would just look it up. 11 Man opting is a non factor because those teams are not hurting anyone. I am just curious who all of these teams are that have been getting their playoff dreams crushed by the opt down teams. Seeding, I understand.

Also, teach me how to look this stuff up.
nsaahome.org has all the listings of teams that are ineligible for the playoffs. Teams who are eligible or ineligible still follow the point system. So if a team is 0-7 and ineligible for the playoffs gets beat by a team who is on the bubble to make the playoffs, they could actually be penalized points because that team would fall into a lower tier.

Like it has been said before, if a team plays another team who has opted down, they should be awarded bonus points for playing a team who is actually in a higher class.

nsaahome.org has all the listings of teams that are ineligible for the playoffs. Teams who are eligible or ineligible still follow the point system. So if a team is 0-7 and ineligible for the playoffs gets beat by a team who is on the bubble to make the playoffs, they could actually be penalized points because that team would fall into a lower tier.

Like it has been said before, if a team plays another team who has opted down, they should be awarded bonus points for playing a team who is actually in a higher class.
Actually (my opinion) there should be NO points awarded for those games. Then the game doesn't help or hurt the average. Bonus points for beating a 0-6 team isn't going to do anything but cause teams to line up to play these ineligible teams.

I also believe it is important to note that any Class D team that is on the playoff bubble...come on. They are already taking 60% of the teams.

Really, I wasn't looking for the potential consequences. I was looking for specific examples of teams that had their playoff dreams crushed by an opt down team. I know it isn't easy to give those examples because the historic data is not easily available.

Opting down has been on option for a long, long time. In the late 90s Howells opted down to 8-man and was ineligible. This was prior to the NSAA doing scheduling, and many schools still played conference schools. Howells was a member of the Cornhusker conference and played those schools in games, but they were not eligible for the playoffs at that time.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Actually (my opinion) there should be NO points awarded for those games. Then the game doesn't help or hurt the average. Bonus points for beating a 0-6 team isn't going to do anything but cause teams to line up to play these ineligible teams.

I also believe it is important to note that any Class D team that is on the playoff bubble...come on. They are already taking 60% of the teams.

Really, I wasn't looking for the potential consequences. I was looking for specific examples of teams that had their playoff dreams crushed by an opt down team. I know it isn't easy to give those examples because the historic data is not easily available.
Opt down example in 2018-2019 seasons is Humphrey High/Lindsay Holy Family for 6 man football. Our team lost to them both years and it affected our seeding for state.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Were you able to determine (back then) how many spots it caused you to drop in the wildcard standings? Just curious.
You really wouldn't be able to tell. It would depend on the replacement opponent and the result of that game. It is very possible it could of helped them and not hurt them. They loss to a division 1 team. If replacement was a Division 2 and they loss then the game against HLHF actually helped their position. If replace with a Division 3 team and they beat them that would only be a 2 point boost. At end of day all the crying about costing playoff position is just nitpicking.

You really wouldn't be able to tell. It would depend on the replacement opponent and the result of that game. It is very possible it could of helped them and not hurt them. They loss to a division 1 team. If replacement was a Division 2 and they loss then the game against HLHF actually helped their position. If replace with a Division 3 team and they beat them that would only be a 2 point boost. At end of day all the crying about costing playoff position is just nitpicking.
its all risk with little to know reward

Is nitpicking the difference between having home field advantage 1st round versus an away game with a 7.5 hour drive?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT