ADVERTISEMENT

2020-2021 Enrollments

I’m not a fan of opting down at all, but I think there are programs that need to do that in order to save their program.

Quick observation- A majority of the schools that opt down in 11 man from B to C1, C1 to C2, or C2 to 8 man are schools/communities that have a diverse student/community population.

Schuyler is a great example. They struggle to be competitive in B. They played 2 C1 schools this year and lost to both of them (5-4 Neb City blew them out, 1-8 DC West beat them closely). When schools are in a situation like that there are 3 choices in my opinion.
1- stay the course and likely continue down the same path
2- opt down and be ineligible, but likely competitive
3- look for a coop

Schuyler, like many diverse communities/districts, struggles to get kids out. Looking for a coop makes sense for them, but most schools around them are going to avoid them because that school would be inheriting a large enrollment number with a participation percentage that is not proportionate to that number. In short, it isn’t a good deal for the other school. Madison had a run of decent teams when Wagner was there as the RB. They have since opted down. In the early 2000’s SSC had a perfect regular season. They have since opted down. Crete has gone through its cycles of quality teams and teams that have struggled. They have never opted down and have survived. Lex and Cozad have experienced similar runs as Crete from the 90s to now. Neither of those schools have opted down and they have survived. It is difficult, and it is hard on the program...but I think it makes it that much sweeter when that one successful season comes around.

Regarding points, I do think schools should get 2 bonus points for playing a school that opts down. Consider this.... to my knowledge the NSAA will not schedule cross class games unless both teams request the game on their wish list. From the example above (DC West/C1 vs Schuyler/B) it would mean that DC West asked to play a bigger school and the NSAA said “sure, and we will give you 2 points for it). Now that Schuyler opts down they could get paired with DC West in district or non-district play and DC West will have to play that game whether they want it or not. And there will be no bonus points for it. NSAA gives 2 points for games you want but none for games you don’t want? That doesn’t make much sense to me. The idea of awarding bonus points for playing teams that opt down was proposed as legislation through the proposal process a few years ago and it failed miserably.

Probably more info than you wanted, but lots to consider in this type of situation

Reactions: coachlanum
Why do schools get bonus points for playing someone in a larger class? Never have quite understood that one.

Why do schools get bonus points for playing someone in a larger class? Never have quite understood that one.
Boy, I don't know.... maybe because a school might have 2X-3X as many kids for a team? Should a C1 team get more points for beating Hastings, Skutt, Scottsbluff, or Battle Creek? Sorry to be harsh, but it only makes sense.

I honestly don't think there should be bonus points. You could play up a class and beat somebody that has zero wins, but with the bonus points it's like beating a 2nd division school.

I honestly don't think there should be bonus points. You could play up a class and beat somebody that has zero wins, but with the bonus points it's like beating a 2nd division school.
No. In hoops, beating a higher class 4 division team is 43 points. Beating a division 2 team in your own class is 47 points.

I’ve often wondered and never decided in my own head what the right thing to do with power points.

I never thought it was right that C2 schools got extra points for playing C1. In some cases the C2 that plays a C1 could be a difference of 1 boy in enrollment. But that C1 has to play the likes of an Aurora who is more than double the size of the bottom of C1.

Kind of an odd question here. What is the smallest town that has an 11 man team and largest town that has an 8 man team excluding towns that have multiple schools ala Falls City SH or O'Neil St Marys. The two that came to mind for me are Crofton with 726 and Kimball with 2,496. Those are their 2010 census populations. Are there others?

What made me think about it is was my playing days. I'm an old timer but back then 8 man schools were always in towns the size of a few hundred and smaller. Many of the 11 man schools, mostly C2, I remember are 8 man and even 6 man now.

An explanation for 8 man towns being bigger now could be this: Many rural town sizes have remained fairly constant, but schools in those towns have shrunk drastically. While you basically have the same number of town kids in schools there are no longer as many farm/country kids. 40-50 years ago, almost every section had 4 farmsteads with most likely pretty big families. Now you are lucky to find a section with even one farmstead on it, and if there is one the family size is most likely smaller.

Reactions: runningback43

Before the power point system was used to seed districts, everything was seeded on record alone. There was no incentive for a smaller class school to play a bigger class one. This hurt big schools who were surrounded by smaller schools who wouldn't play them if not in their conference. By going to power points strength of schedule came into play AND there was an incentive for smaller schools to play the bigger schools.

Power points came in with the playoff system in 1975. Points were awarded for playing up and subtracted for playing down. Before that all football competition had been by conference. There were particularly a lot of B teams (remember B was 64 teams) that played in primarily C conferences. The B's were afraid the C's would kick them out of conferences without some reward, and the other B's were afraid that B's in C conferences would lock up all the playoff spots against easier schedules. In the ratings era you often saw a 5-4 Crete/Faribury-like team (that played B's and some A's) ranked above an unbeaten B that had played all C's.

The same dynamic existed in C and D (remember that in 75 there was a D-11-man and D-8-man).

The playoff reward/penalty was a compromise in order to get more schools to vote for playoffs.

Reactions: Llama57
Updated the listing on Page 2 of this thread with the following declarations as of last Friday:

11-Man
Nebraska City (opt down to Class C1)
North Bend

8-Man
Ainsworth
Conestoga
Freeman
Lawrence-Nelson
Lutheran High Northeast
Maywood

6-Man
Spalding Academy
Sumner-Eddyville-Miller
Wallace

Declarations as of Friday, November 15, 2019

11-man
Adams Central
Alliance
Arlington
Ashland-Greenwood
Auburn
Aurora
Bancroft-Rosalie/Lyons-Decatur
Battle Creek
Beatrice
Bellevue East
Bellevue West
Bennington
Blair
Boone Central/Newman Grove
Boys Town
Bridgeport
Broken Bow
Centennial
Central City
Centura
Chadron
Chase County
Columbus
Columbus Lakeview
Columbus Scotus
Cozad
Crete
Crofton
David City
David City Aquinas
Douglas County West
Elkhorn
Elkhorn Mt. Michael
Elkhorn North
Elkhorn South
Fairbury
Falls City
Fillmore Central
Fort Calhoun
Fremont Bergan
Fremont
Gering
Gibbon
Gordon-Rushville
Gothenburg
Grand Island
Grand Island Central Catholic
Grand Island Northwest
Gretna
Hartington Cedar Catholic
Hastings
Hastings St. Cecilia
Hershey
Holdrege
Kearney
Kearney Catholic
Lexington
Lincoln Christian
Lincoln East
Lincoln High
Lincoln Lutheran
Lincoln North Star
Lincoln Northeast
Lincoln Pius X
Lincoln Southeast
Lincoln Southwest
Logan View/Scribner-Snyder
Louisville
Malcolm
McCook
Milford
Millard North
Millard South
Millard West
Minden
Mitchell
Nebraska City (opt down to Class C1)
Norfolk
Norfolk Catholic
Norris
North Bend
North Platte
O'Neill
Oakland-Craig
Ogallala
Omaha Benson
Omaha Burke
Omaha Central
Omaha Concordia
Omaha Creighton Prep
Omaha Gross/Cornerstone Christian
Omaha North
Omaha Northwest
Omaha Roncalli
Omaha Skutt
Omaha South
Omaha Westside
Ord
Papillion-LaVista
Papillion-LaVista South
Pierce
Platteview
Plattsmouth
Ralston
Raymond Central
Sandy Creek
Schuyler (opting down to Class C1)
Scottsbluff
Seward
Shelton/Wood River
Sidney
South Sioux City (opting down to Class B)
St. Paul
Sutton
Syracuse
Tekamah-Herman
Twin River
Valentine
Wahoo
Wahoo Neumann
Waverly
Wayne
West Point-Beemer
Wilber-Clatonia
York
Yutan

8-man
Ainsworth
Allen
Alma
Amherst
Anselmo-Merna
Ansley/Litchfield
Arapahoe
Arcadia/Loup City
Axtell
Bayard
Bertrand
Bloomfield
Blue Hill
Boyd County
Bruning-Davenport/Shickley
Burwell
Cambridge
Cedar Bluffs
Central Valley
Chambers/Wheeler Central
Clarkson/Leigh
Conestoga
Creighton
Cross County
Diller-Odell
Dundy County-Stratton
East Butler
Elgin/Elgin Pope John
Elkhorn Valley
Elm Creek
Elmwood-Murdock
Emerson-Hubbard
Exeter-Milligan/Friend
Falls City Sacred Heart
Freeman
Fullerton
Garden County
Giltner
Guardian Angels Central Catholic
Hartington-Newcastle
Heartland
Hemingford
Hershey
Hi-Line (Eustis-Farnam/Elwood)
High Plains
Hitchcock County
Homer
Howells-Dodge
Humboldt-Table Rock-Steinauer
Johnson-Brock
Kenesaw
Kimball
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
Lawrence-Nelson
Leyton
Loomis
Lutheran High Northeast
Madison
Maxwell
Maywood
Mead
Medicine Valley
Morrill
Mullen
Nebraska Christian
Nebraska City Lourdes
Neligh-Oakdale
Niobrara/Verdigre
North Central
O'Neill St. Mary's
Omaha Brownell-Talbot
Omaha Christian/Omaha Street School
Osceola
Osmond
Overton
Palmer
Palmyra
Pender
Plainview
Pleasanton
Randolph
Riverside
Sandhills Valley (Stapleton/McPherson County)
Sandhills/Thedford
Shelby/Rising City
South Loup
Southern
Southern Valley
Stanton
Summerland
Sutherland
Thayer Central
Tri County
Twin Loup
Wakefield
Walthill
Weeping Water
Winside
Wisner-Pilger

6-Man
Arthur County
Banner County
Crawford
Creek Valley
Deshler
Dorchester
Elba
Franklin
Hampton
Harvard
Hay Springs
Heartland Lutheran
Lewiston
McCool Junction
Meridian
Minatare
Parkview Christian
Pawnee City
Potter-Dix
Red Cloud
Santee
Silver Lake
Sioux County
South Platte
Southwest
Spalding Academy
St. Edward
Sterling
Stuart
Sumner-Eddyville-Miller
Wallace
Wilcox-Hildreth

Not Fielding NSAA Teams
Omaha Nation
Winnebago

No Declaration Yet
Atkinson West Holt
Brady
Cody-Kilgore
College View Academy
Doniphan-Trumbull
Hayes Center
Humphrey
Humphrey St. Francis
Hyannis
Johnson County Central
Lindsay Holy Family
Nebraska Lutheran
North Platte St. Patrick's
Paxton
Perkins County
Ponca
Quest Forward Academy
Ravenna
Superior
Wauneta-Palisade
Wausa
Wynot
Hershey is listed in both 11 and 8 man.

Updates from the NSAA site as of Nov. 19

8-Man
Atkinson West Holt
Johnson County Central
Perkins County
Wausa

6-Man
Cody-Kilgore
Paxton

According to Alum-Ni updates, these are all that remain of the undeclared teams.

No Declaration Yet

Brady
College View Academy
Doniphan-Trumbull (Poster in threads says 100% positive 11-man)
Humphrey
Humphrey St. Francis
Hyannis
Lindsay Holy Family
Nebraska Lutheran
North Platte St. Patrick's (Poster in thread says kids want 11-man)
Ponca
Quest Forward Academy
Ravenna
Superior
Wauneta-Palisade
Wynot

Are all football co-ops finalized? According to the declaration sheet Humphrey and LHF are not listed as a co-op. I believe in another thread, it was discussed they'd go 8-man? Didn't see the co-op approved in the NSAA board of directors meeting in November with a lot of the other football co-ops

The following article was in a local newspaper this week. Wausa has declared 8-man. If they end up forfeiting games over the next two years I almost wish there was a way to hold the decision makers accountable in some form.

WAUSA — Following a 1-7 football season that included a number of injuries and being left out of the playoffs, the Wausa High School program is at a crossroads:

Does it remain a member of the eight-man game or does it take the leap and drop to sixman football for the next classification cycle for the 2020 and 2021 seasons?

“They are considering it,” Wausa superintendent Brad Hoesing said about the district school board. “We have numbers for two years here where we won’t have lower numbers out, but we will be heavy freshmen/sophomore. If it does go, it will go for a two-year cycle only.”

Wausa head coach Adrian Alonzo has been dealing with dwindling numbers and that has fueled consideration for this move if not for the long term for just the near future.

“I am only going to have about 13 to 15 kids out next year and only six of them being upperclassmen,” Alonzo said. “We are always one or two injuries away from being non-competitive.

“(The move down) is being considered.”

Since the Nebraska School Activities Association took over the six-man code of football, the interest grew, according to Alonzo, and he says 29 teams have declared their intent to play at that level starting next year.

Alonzo said that the numbers look promising over the next couple of years, but that would mean that the program would almost be made primarily of underclassmen.

Thus, the ideal is to play a two-year cycle as a six-man varsity program while playing an eight-man junior varsity schedule, while the numbers grow from top to bottom.

“In the groups that we have coming, there are going to be some special athletes,” Alonzo said. “I think our participation is down because we are getting beat up. These younger kids know that there is an opportunity for them to play as a freshman and get tossed around by a senior for four quarters.”

The following article was in a local newspaper this week. Wausa has declared 8-man. If they end up forfeiting games over the next two years I almost wish there was a way to hold the decision makers accountable in some form.

WAUSA — Following a 1-7 football season that included a number of injuries and being left out of the playoffs, the Wausa High School program is at a crossroads:

Does it remain a member of the eight-man game or does it take the leap and drop to sixman football for the next classification cycle for the 2020 and 2021 seasons?

“They are considering it,” Wausa superintendent Brad Hoesing said about the district school board. “We have numbers for two years here where we won’t have lower numbers out, but we will be heavy freshmen/sophomore. If it does go, it will go for a two-year cycle only.”

Wausa head coach Adrian Alonzo has been dealing with dwindling numbers and that has fueled consideration for this move if not for the long term for just the near future.

“I am only going to have about 13 to 15 kids out next year and only six of them being upperclassmen,” Alonzo said. “We are always one or two injuries away from being non-competitive.

“(The move down) is being considered.”

Since the Nebraska School Activities Association took over the six-man code of football, the interest grew, according to Alonzo, and he says 29 teams have declared their intent to play at that level starting next year.

Alonzo said that the numbers look promising over the next couple of years, but that would mean that the program would almost be made primarily of underclassmen.

Thus, the ideal is to play a two-year cycle as a six-man varsity program while playing an eight-man junior varsity schedule, while the numbers grow from top to bottom.

“In the groups that we have coming, there are going to be some special athletes,” Alonzo said. “I think our participation is down because we are getting beat up. These younger kids know that there is an opportunity for them to play as a freshman and get tossed around by a senior for four quarters.”
I still can’t believe they haven’t at least attempted to co-op with Osmond it Bloomfield.

Could be wrong but I believe they have done junior high with Bloomfield for a number of years now.
The Wausa and Bloomfield school board members had a joint meeting to discuss a coop in all sports back in 2013. Both football coaches were in favor of the coop and Bloomfield's school board was in favor of the coop. Certain board members at Wausa did not want the coop, in which resulted in Wausa staying alone and not being competitive the following two years. They have had a coop in JH football only. I don't see Wausa-Bloomfield coop ever happening anytime soon.

The Wausa and Bloomfield school board members had a joint meeting to discuss a coop in all sports back in 2013. Both football coaches were in favor of the coop and Bloomfield's school board was in favor of the coop. Certain board members at Wausa did not want the coop, in which resulted in Wausa staying alone and not being competitive the following two years. They have had a coop in JH football only. I don't see Wausa-Bloomfield coop ever happening anytime soon.

Same story, differant schools. Played out over and over throughout the state.

So ridiculous. Those board members should have been removed. Why would you not co-op?

It wasn't just board members in Wausa that nixed this. There were some very "interesting" things said by the people of Wausa towards the people of Bloomfield at this meeting. The community as a whole was against the co-op, and they were sure to share their feelings at that "town hall" style board meeting.

The people of Wausa are passionate...........read into that what you may.

I’ve been watching the declaration list and I am stunned at the staggering level of stubbornness shown by some schools. When will people understand their decisions effect more than their schools?

School A only projects to have 15 out for football, including four 110 pound freshmen but insists on declaring 8 man. Now the 8 schools on their schedule have to pray School A stays healthy enough just to field a team. Now multiply this by the conservative estimate of 8-10 schools fitting this description and we again are looking at numerous forfeits in addition to dozens of games won by over 50 points. Don’t forget that this is a 2 year deal. Now School A only has 12 out because kids are tired of having the crap beat out of them because they spent their freshman year playing against kids 4 years older and 100 lbs heavier. I smell another round of forfeits.

There is no shame in moving from 11 to 8 or 8 to 6 if your numbers dictate. The real shame is giving your students zero chance to be successful for the sake of stubborn pride.

I’ve been watching the declaration list and I am stunned at the staggering level of stubbornness shown by some schools. When will people understand their decisions effect more than their schools?

School A only projects to have 15 out for football, including four 110 pound freshmen but insists on declaring 8 man. Now the 8 schools on their schedule have to pray School A stays healthy enough just to field a team. Now multiply this by the conservative estimate of 8-10 schools fitting this description and we again are looking at numerous forfeits in addition to dozens of games won by over 50 points. Don’t forget that this is a 2 year deal. Now School A only has 12 out because kids are tired of having the crap beat out of them because they spent their freshman year playing against kids 4 years older and 100 lbs heavier. I smell another round of forfeits.

There is no shame in moving from 11 to 8 or 8 to 6 if your numbers dictate. The real shame is giving your students zero chance to be successful for the sake of stubborn pride.

Spot on. There will always be undefeated teams and winless teams but some of these schools decisions make the lack of competitive balance ridiculous. Even if some of these schools dont forfeit they are so inept that they barely resemble a junior varsity team. If your eligible for the playoffs in 6 man, and you will struggle to field an 8 man team, why stick in 8 man? Yes, I understand travel may be slightly more but were talking about 4 road trips a year.

Choosing to not drop to six man or coop is hurting so many others and just the overall quality of play in the state. Yes Winside and Wausa, I'm looking at you. The Wausa coach just said that it will be a challenge to field a team for the next two years at 8 man and yet what do you know, they declared 8 man.

My ONLY issue with the opt up/down is when you're opting down a class in 11 man. If you have enough to play C2, you have enough to play C1. Chances are you're not going to be very good in either class.

According to Alum-Ni updates, these are all that remain of the undeclared teams.

No Declaration Yet

Brady
College View Academy
Doniphan-Trumbull (Poster in threads says 100% positive 11-man)
Humphrey
Humphrey St. Francis
Hyannis
Lindsay Holy Family
Nebraska Lutheran
North Platte St. Patrick's (Poster in thread says kids want 11-man)
Ponca
Quest Forward Academy
Ravenna
Superior
Wauneta-Palisade
Wynot

Are all football co-ops finalized? According to the declaration sheet Humphrey and LHF are not listed as a co-op. I believe in another thread, it was discussed they'd go 8-man? Didn't see the co-op approved in the NSAA board of directors meeting in November with a lot of the other football co-ops
So, how many total 8-man schools are there? Not including these that have not declared yet.

thats pretty close to what it was last cycle also
109 8man last cycle and 31 6man so not much has changed

That's 10 more teams, quite a bit of change IMO. Especially when you consider there are new coops being formed which combines and takes away from the numbers and we still get 10 more. How many less 11 man teams we looking at?

6 man will have more teams than class A and maybe C2 this next year. Making the C2 playoffs looks to be a 50% odds. Might start seeing teams with a 4-5 record in a tough district sneaking in.

That's 10 more teams, quite a bit of change IMO. Especially when you consider there are new coops being formed which combines and takes away from the numbers and we still get 10 more. How many less 11 man teams we looking at?

6 man will have more teams than class A and maybe C2 this next year. Making the C2 playoffs looks to be a 50% odds. Might start seeing teams with a 4-5 record in a tough district sneaking in.
not sure on your math but 8-man will be the same has last cycle and coop will cause more 8-man and less 11-man, eventually class C1 and C@ will become just like A and B and just one class. In the next 15 years Class A will grow and B and C will level off

not sure on your math but 8-man will be the same has last cycle and coop will cause more 8-man and less 11-man, eventually class C1 and C@ will become just like A and B and just one class. In the next 15 years Class A will grow and B and C will level off

My bad, I was thinking 101 for 8 man and 31 for 6 man on the current cycle. I wasnt factoring in the non playoff eligible teams.

D1 or D2? Seems like between them there are a lot of kids
Not sure. They’re 37 for basketball and the cutoff between D1 and D2 for football last cycle was 33 and 34. Don’t know their latest enrollment from this year

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT