ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 11 Man Football Declarations/Classifications Discussion

There are 36 teams. Six districts of six makes sense. I don't think 7 districts is out of the question, though
Make 7, so you don’t have to kick a team from the Kearney area clear out west. Then you make an easy 6 team district out of The tri city area.

Make 7, so you don’t have to kick a team from the Kearney area clear out west. Then you make an easy 6 team district out of The tri city area.
Agreed I still think you can have seven. Six districts with five teams, One district with six teams. No way you can make Amherst have their closest district game be Hershey.

District 1: Ponca, Norfolk Catholic, Battle Creek, West Holt, Cedar Catholic

District 2: OC, Tekamah, LVSS, Bergan, North Bend

District 3: Aquinas, David City, Yutan, Neumann, Louisville

District 4: Tri County, Wilber, Lincoln Lutheran, Malcolm, Milford

District 5: Centennial, Fillmore Central, GICC, Doniphan-Trumbull, HSC

District 6: Centura, Gibbon, KC, Ord, Amherst, Wood River (six teamer)

District 7: Chase County, Hershey, Gordon, Mitchell, Valentine

Reactions: Llama57 and balsy
Agreed I still think you can have seven. Six districts with five teams, One district with six teams. No way you can make Amherst have their closest district game be Hershey.

this looks much better I would say dead on

Because it's never been a problem to put Gibbon into a game with Bridgeport or Ord to Gordon-Rushville.

Or

Hastings to McCook
Gibbon has played Bridgeport in the regular season, never in district play. They have always been in a district around the Kearney-GI area.

Hastings to McCook is what is because they don't have another choice.

I guess I fail to see the point as to why it matters if its a district game or non district game.

In wrestling they are sending Mitchell to O'neill for districts. Basketball can have extreme travel distances in the "Sub State" games or whatever.

Travel time doesn't matter. That's also proven by not splitting playoffs East/West anymore.

Hershey played games against Wood River, Gibbon, Doniphan Trumbull, and Centura all in the same year before. So Amherst to Hershey isn't and shouldn't be a problem.

Then maybe we should reduce the number down to 9 districts and only 4 teams.

I'm playing devils advocate here.

Hershey played games against Wood River, Gibbon, Doniphan Trumbull, and Centura all in the same year before. So Amherst to Hershey isn't and shouldn't be a problem.
Amherst to Mitchell or Chase County or Gordon-Rushville is a jaunt for district play. I know it happens in substate all the time. But that isn't multiple weeks in a row. It's unnecessary to make Amherst travel that far when the NSAA could have them play Centura, Gibbon, KC, Ord, and , Wood River.

I don't see a problem with six districts with five teams, One district with six teams.

That's what I thought as well
yes sorry I meant 7. this is I believe what it will be

Reactions: northeastNebraska
yes sorry I meant 7. this is I believe what it will be

That is what it needs to be.

Amherst will likely play 2 out there ANYWAY.

Well they should. Because now Mitchell would get 4 bonus points for playing Alliance and Gering now. That is what isn't right and SHOULDN'T be a thing

Amherst will likely play 2 out there ANYWAY.

Well they should. Because now Mitchell would get 4 bonus points for playing Alliance and Gering now. That is what isn't right and SHOULDN'T be a thing
They probably will play two western teams you are correct. What option makes more sense?

Amherst @ Hershey (non district)
Chase County @ Amherst (non district)
Amherst @ GICC (non district)
Fillmore Central @ Amherst (non district)

Amherst @ Kearney Catholic (district)
Wood River @ Amherst (district)
Amherst @ Centura (district)
Ord @ Amherst (district)
Amerst @ Gibbon (district)

OR

Amherst @ Kearney Catholic (non district)
Wood River @ Amherst (non district)
Amherst @ Centura (non district)
Ord @ Amherst (non district)

Amherst @ Hershey (district)
Chase County @ Amherst (district)
Amherst @ Mitchell (district)
Valentine @ Amherst (district)
Amherst @ Gordon (district)

Valentine can play Ord, Broken Bow, West Holt, Todd County in non district games.
Gordon can play Ord, Chadron, Alliance and Ogallala in non district games.
Mitchell can play Alliance, Gering, Sidney, Chadron or a Wyoming School in non district games.
Hershey can play Amherst, Kearney Catholic, Sidney, Ogallala in non district games
Chase County can play Amherst, McCook, Ogallala and Sidney in non district games.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the # of districts, means of qualifying, # of wild cards, etc. is already spelled out in the football manual...????

They probably will play two western teams you are correct. What option makes more sense?

Amherst @ Hershey (non district)
Chase County @ Amherst (non district)
Amherst @ GICC (non district)
Fillmore Central @ Amherst (non district)

Amherst @ Kearney Catholic (district)
Wood River @ Amherst (district)
Amherst @ Centura (district)
Ord @ Amherst (district)
Amerst @ Gibbon (district)

OR

Amherst @ Kearney Catholic (non district)
Wood River @ Amherst (non district)
Amherst @ Centura (non district)
Ord @ Amherst (non district)

Amherst @ Hershey (district)
Chase County @ Amherst (district)
Amherst @ Mitchell (district)
Valentine @ Amherst (district)
Amherst @ Gordon (district)

Valentine can play Ord, Broken Bow, West Holt, Todd County in non district games.
Gordon can play Ord, Chadron, Alliance and Ogallala in non district games.
Mitchell can play Alliance, Gering, Sidney, Chadron or a Wyoming School in non district games.
Hershey can play Amherst, Kearney Catholic, Sidney, Ogallala in non district games
Chase County can play Amherst, McCook, Ogallala and Sidney in non district games.
Those 5 west teams could also play cozad, Gothenburg, mccook. All at least an hour closer in a bus than Amherst.

My best guess at C1 is this

Falls City-Auburn-Nebraska City-Syracuse-Platteview
Fairbury-Lincoln Christian-Raymond Central-Ashland Greenwood-Wahoo
DC West-Boys Town-Concordia-Roncalli-Fort Calhoun
Lakeview-Scotus-Schuyler-West Point-Wayne-Pierce
O'Neill-Boone Central-St Paul-Central City-Aurora
Broken Bow-Gothenburg-Cozad-Holdrege-Minden-Adams Central
Chadron-Sidney-McCook-Alliance-Ogallala
What about Arlington?

Those 5 west teams could also play cozad, Gothenburg, mccook. All at least an hour closer in a bus than Amherst.
I guess my point is that we shouldn’t be handing out bonus points for schools for the sake of travel. That gives unfair preference for wildcards. Like it or not. With even numbers in both classes there should not be bonus points handed out. I’ve held this opinion for a long time. Travel is not a big deal. It’s not. And those who think it is. Talk to North Platte.

Almost half the teams will make the playoffs. If you don’t make the playoffs, it’s not for a few bonus points. You prob didn’t have a winning record.

I grew up out there, the travel does matter. Anytime you can get a team and fans home before midnight is a good thing imo.

Chadron went undefeated last year with a couple wins over class b schools and still ended up a 5 seed. Those bonus points don’t matter much.
I think the bonus points matter in some instances, but not all. It is a really difficult situation, with a lot of things to consider. Teams that opt down from B to C1 are still class B enrollment, but teams that play them don't get credit for playing a class B team (no bonus points). It seems they should, but then I think of a school like Schuyler that opts down and wonder why anyone should get bonus points for playing them.

Reactions: PowerTfootball
I think the bonus points matter in some instances, but not all. It is a really difficult situation, with a lot of things to consider. Teams that opt down from B to C1 are still class B enrollment, but teams that play them don't get credit for playing a class B team (no bonus points). It seems they should, but then I think of a school like Schuyler that opts down and wonder why anyone should get bonus points for playing
I think the bonus points matter in some instances, but not all. It is a really difficult situation, with a lot of things to consider. Teams that opt down from B to C1 are still class B enrollment, but teams that play them don't get credit for playing a class B team (no bonus points). It seems they should, but then I think of a school like Schuyler that opts down and wonder why anyone should get bonus points for playing them.
It is not perfect, but I think the playoffs are inclusive enough with 16 teams to handle chase county Mitchell, and Gordon getting some bonus points playing couple c-1 teams a year. I don’t think c-2 needs to play class b out there, though. I think Gordon should get a couple points for playing Chadron. Chadron has more than twice their number of boys.

-can you think of an instance where a team got in because of bonus points? There’s prob been one. Mitchell was a 16 seed recently, maybe them? It’s hard to say they shouldn’t have been there when they gave Ashland/Greenwood all they wanted, if I’m remembering correctly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT