ADVERTISEMENT

Football 2022/2023 football schedules

well-waiting.gif

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Schools get access at 9:00. Probably about 11:00 or later before the schedules are released to the public.

so you want to penalize the school for being ineligible for the playoffs?

so you want to penalize the school for being ineligible for the playoffs?
Sure. Choices have consequences. I wouldn't even have them play teams actually belonging in that class. Set up a seperate chicken league. Or, at the very least the eligible school gets to decide after the game whether those results count towards power points. Every eligible school gets filled first. Another problem is allowing out of state games to be scheduled when in-state teams don't get full schedules.

One thing that drives me absolutely insane...No team should be allowed to play a team from another state if there is a team from Nebraska that is currently without a game that same week. As an example, Gering is currently playing a Wyoming team in week 3 while North Platte has nobody to play. The NSAA has an obligation to serve its member schools before it serves out of state schools.

Sure. Choices have consequences. I wouldn't even have them play teams actually belonging in that class. Set up a seperate chicken league. Or, at the very least the eligible school gets to decide after the game whether those results count towards power points. Every eligible school gets filled first. Another problem is allowing out of state games to be scheduled when in-state teams don't get full schedules.
i agree with the other state teams, BUT by the rule those schools are not doing anything wrong, so we all have our opinions on those teams but putting that aside. We can at least agree teams who are eligible should have full schedules before these teams do.

Reactions: roh44
One thing that drives me absolutely insane...No team should be allowed to play a team from another state if there is a team from Nebraska that is currently without a game that same week. As an example, Gering is currently playing a Wyoming team in week 3 while North Platte has nobody to play. The NSAA has an obligation to serve its member schools before it serves out of state schools.
agree 100% Hailvitors

i agree with the other state teams, BUT by the rule those schools are not doing anything wrong, so we all have our opinions on those teams but putting that aside. We can at least agree teams who are eligible should have full schedules before these teams do.
There is that. Have I ever mentioned that I don't for the rules as currently written? :) But you are correct. Those schools are within their rights.

I agree, but it isn't even just THAT particular week. If they played somebody, even the empty school, that would open another slot with COULD be filled by someone else.

Not sure how the NSAA didn't schedule McCook vs Aurora and Clarkson/Leigh vs Howells/Dodge.

Just curious. But do you guys feel the same way about the teams that are over the number but are eligible due to the 2 year exemption. Last year I believe Clarkson/Leigh was playing with a number of 61 and I didn't see anybody complain about them.

Just curious. But do you guys feel the same way about the teams that are over the number but are eligible due to the 2 year exemption. Last year I believe Clarkson/Leigh was playing with a number of 61 and I didn't see anybody complain about them.
I do not if they are in the exempt because they are eligible.

Personally, I do. When the mid-year number drops and they belong in the class they are assigned to (in this case chose) no worries. Nothing wrong with being among the biggest in a class. Very definitely something wrong with choosing to play below your class if it's allow to affect those teams season's.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Why McCook vs aurora? Those top teams in c-1 this next year?
McCook and Aurora have a long standing rivalry. They have played every year I can remember except the two years Aurora went down to C1 and McCook stayed in B. Figured their proximity to each other geographically (Aurora is one of the 5 or 6 closest schools to McCook that isn't in district), similarity in size, being in the same class, and program prestige would make that game a no brainer.

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
What is a "chicken league"? I have never heard that term. What does that mean?

Teams unwilling to play in their correct classification.
Unwilling, or unable? Pretty tough for a team with 16 kids to play 11 man football.

Or better yet, that team refuses to drop to 8 man, and has to start forfeiting games half way through...then everyone bitches about how they have destroyed someone's season and playoff hopes because their opponents didn't get that desperately needed last win.

Man I am telling you, these schools with low football participation numbers just can't get no love.

So basically, Chicken League is a derogatory descriptive term you have come up with to describe a school district that for whatever reason struggles for numbers. Honestly, I expected better from you. I actually agree with a great deal of your posts here.

Choosing to play in C2 rather than C1, or B to C1, isn't right. Nor is playing 8 man, with 11 man enrollment. Maybe these are schools that needs not to offer football? If it's REALLY about health/safety/low numbers there should be zero problems just playing each other, right? OR the state offers potential opponents the option of playing said school. OR if the game is forced upon the schools doing things right, they get the option, after the game is played of using it for their power points or not, as they wish. We don't let wrestlers choose their class or weight class, we shouldn't make a bad exception for football. But I need to apologize. This is a different disagreement for a different thread. Sorry for threadjacking.

Choosing to play in C2 rather than C1, or B to C1, isn't right. Nor is playing 8 man, with 11 man enrollment. Maybe these are schools that needs not to offer football? If it's REALLY about health/safety/low numbers there should be zero problems just playing each other, right? OR the state offers potential opponents the option of playing said school. OR if the game is forced upon the schools doing things right, they get the option, after the game is played of using it for their power points or not, as they wish. We don't let wrestlers choose their class or weight class, we shouldn't make a bad exception for football.
I will agree, I do not like the option down rule at all, it shares one schools problem and now makes it a potential problem for 7 other schools. I know this is the rule and these schools are doing what they feel is best. I wish they would do a couple of things to this rule. One make sure all teams that are eligible for playoffs have a full schedule before these teams do, Second do not place these teams in a district. Third schedule these teams vs each other as much as possible. Some of these teams have been playing down for as long as a decade now and many more than 4 years, it is obvious they have a culture problem and some issues I will not pretend I have walk in their shoes or know the situation. I will say any reason given for why they can not get kids out is the exact reason I believe we should explore a multiplier or see if the reason they give are a disadvantage or an excuse

Last edited:
Choosing to play in C2 rather than C1, or B to C1, isn't right. Nor is playing 8 man, with 11 man enrollment. Maybe these are schools that needs not to offer football? If it's REALLY about health/safety/low numbers there should be zero problems just playing each other, right? OR the state offers potential opponents the option of playing said school. OR if the game is forced upon the schools doing things right, they get the option, after the game is played of using it for their power points or not, as they wish. We don't let wrestlers choose their class or weight class, we shouldn't make a bad exception for football. But I need to apologize. This is a different disagreement for a different thread. Sorry for threadjacking.
I don't know, look at the teams that are doing this. Seriously, look at them.

These teams aren't going to hurt anyone along the way. I looked at the Twin River schedule, 8 games and half are against Ineligible or Exemption opponents. That is pretty good as far as scheduling. But here's the thing, they STILL will be lucky to win a game. They are just not good at football. Last year half the state was pissed at them because they were forfeiting games because they were so thin. There were times when they had 9 freshmen on the field. They tried to make 11 man work, until our opponents started calling the school encouraging our staff to opt the football team down.

I don't know how many in this forum have coaching experience. I do. It is really hard to coach against an opponent that lacks numbers, experience, and skill. On one hand, my starters deserve to get on the field because they have worked hard and earned that. On the other hand, it does those players absolutely NO good to play against that opponent. I want my players to go hard, because they have earned the right to do that. But I don't want them to hurt kids that weigh LITERALLY half what my kids weigh. I want to help my struggling opponent, not destroy their program.

I am not against opting down. I am against games against Ineligible AND Exemption period teams having any Wild Card Implications. Simply put, the opponent gets no points for the game...win or lose. Then these games don't effect the opponent's average. I also agree with scheduling the Ineligible teams against one another wherever possible.

I just don't understand all of the high blood pressure over these opt down teams.

Reactions: sportscabbie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT