ADVERTISEMENT

Class A football schedules, byes & out of state games....

Feb 27, 2017
@PeliniTheCrutch from the @huskerboard is reporting some scheduling controversy at the NSAA this off-season. Short story is 3 teams possibly affected everyone's schedules by wanting to play out of state during a bye week. Anybody have more info on what's really going on?

Millard South reportedly playing Basha Bears of Chandler, AZ
Millard North reportedly playing Englwood Cherry Creek of Colorado.
Not sure who the third school is.
I don't see how it could create any controversy unless an in-state team ends up without a game because we are accommodating out of state requests. That isn't new though. Teams have been playing out of state for years.

Valentine used to play Winner, SD all the time.
Frequent games with Holyoke, CO for panhandle teams.
Bayard and Bridgeport have played Southeast Goshem, WY.
Scottsbluff played Frederick, CO this past cycle.
I think Franklin has gone into Kansas before. If not Franklin, one of those teams on the southern border of Nebraska.

I don't see how it could create any controversy unless an in-state team ends up without a game because we are accommodating out of state requests. That isn't new though. Teams have been playing out of state for years.

I think Franklin has gone into Kansas before. If not Franklin, one of those teams on the southern border of Nebraska.
And I'm pretty confident South Sioux City plays other Sioux City schools.

Looking at the referenced thread, it seemed like the issue was that they KNEW when they'd be playing, that these games was scheduled into their bye weeks, and that implied advance knowledge of their schedules and perhaps influence in the schedules.

The problem I see with his theory is that when you schedule out of state you contact the school and you let the NSAA know the date you are trying to play. Then I believe the NSAA attempts to build the schedule around that date. I think the requesting schools could very much have an idea that they know one of their dates on the schedule from the get go. Plus, depending on the scheduling process of other states (of which, I know nothing about) there's likely a point between December and February where you have to let the schools or other state organization know if the game was scheduled or not, so they can move forward with their own schedules.

Looking at the referenced thread, it seemed like the issue was that they KNEW when they'd be playing, that these games was scheduled into their bye weeks, and that implied advance knowledge of their schedules and perhaps influence in the schedules.

The problem I see with his theory is that when you schedule out of state you contact the school and you let the NSAA know the date you are trying to play. Then I believe the NSAA attempts to build the schedule around that date. I think the requesting schools could very much have an idea that they know one of their dates on the schedule from the get go. Plus, depending on the scheduling process of other states (of which, I know nothing about) there's likely a point between December and February where you have to let the schools or other state organization know if the game was scheduled or not, so they can move forward with their own schedules.
This is accurate. The original poster on the other thread has no clue how this works.
1- There is no such thing as a bye week in 11-man footbal. The NSAA gives all 11 man teams a 9-game schedule and they start week 1. Occassionally teams will play week 0, but that isn't a bye week for those that don't play week 0.
2- The NSAA assigns districts, then asks schools to submit a. "non-district request list". It was 7 schools this year. When you submit that list you prioritize 7 schools that you want to play outside of district play. You also submit a form that states whether you share your field with another team, AND whether you have made arrangements with a team in another state to play. If so, what is the date and where is the game. "PeliniTheCrutch" has absolutely no clue how this works, and suggesting the NSAA has corrupt individuals that leaked schedules to Millard schools early is a far-fetched accusation at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT