D1 ineligible teams:

Omaha Brownell-Talbot/Cornerstone Christian
Conestoga
Wakefield
Lutheran High Northeast
Palmyra
Superior
Twin River

Have these seven team play a six team regular season and call it good. If they want to play another game, play a JV team from another area school.
I bet every single one of those schools would have no issue with that.

Remember, 65% of Class D gets an extra game with their Round 1 format.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
D1 ineligible teams:

Omaha Brownell-Talbot/Cornerstone Christian
Conestoga
Wakefield
Lutheran High Northeast
Palmyra
Superior
Twin River

Have these seven team play a six team regular season and call it good. If they want to play another game, play a JV team from another area school.
We all get our panties in a wad over the dumbest stuff when it comes to HS Sports. I have my own hang ups too, I am not claiming an exemption here. But the thing is, these schools, communities, and coaches just want their kids to have an opportunity to play football. That's it, just give the kids that so desire the experience of playing football.

I live in the Twin River school district. I don't have kids in school anymore. We have been so thin on numbers forever, but just refused to opt down. Last year was not a good deal. Kids got seriously injured, half of the team were freshmen, we played 1 JV game, and it was just plain dangerous. I will say that a couple of our opponents were absolutely supportive and understanding. One team played a kid at QB that wasn't even listed as one of the 3 QB's on their roster. Another opposing coach called when he heard we had to forfeit and offered a JV game against our entire team. Even with the situation we had last year, we still divided our community with the decision to opt down.

My point is, don't these kids all deserve a chance to experience HS football? Rather than get all worked up about it, shouldn't we try to remember what the overall goal is?

We all get our panties in a wad over the dumbest stuff when it comes to HS Sports. I have my own hang ups too, I am not claiming an exemption here. But the thing is, these schools, communities, and coaches just want their kids to have an opportunity to play football. That's it, just give the kids that so desire the experience of playing football.

I live in the Twin River school district. I don't have kids in school anymore. We have been so thin on numbers forever, but just refused to opt down. Last year was not a good deal. Kids got seriously injured, half of the team were freshmen, we played 1 JV game, and it was just plain dangerous. I will say that a couple of our opponents were absolutely supportive and understanding. One team played a kid at QB that wasn't even listed as one of the 3 QB's on their roster. Another opposing coach called when he heard we had to forfeit and offered a JV game against our entire team. Even with the situation we had last year, we still divided our community with the decision to opt down.

My point is, don't these kids all deserve a chance to experience HS football? Rather than get all worked up about it, shouldn't we try to remember what the overall goal is?
I get where you are coming from, but wouldn't you rather play schools in the same predicament as you? Putting all the ineligible teams in one district solves a lot of problems. I get Twin River has issues, and that sucks. But at the same time, the kids at Ord and St. Paul (teams who lost games due to Twin River low numbers) want to play a full schedule too.

Maybe they extend a branch to St. Ed or Fullerton to co-op? Not saying that will solve their losing issues, but it may help get a few more kids out.

I get where you are coming from, but wouldn't you rather play schools in the same predicament as you? Putting all the ineligible teams in one district solves a lot of problems. I get Twin River has issues, and that sucks. But at the same time, the kids at Ord and St. Paul (teams who lost games due to Twin River low numbers) want to play a full schedule too.

Maybe they extend a branch to St. Ed or Fullerton to co-op? Not saying that will solve their losing issues, but it may help get a few more kids out.
See that's my point. You opt down and you're a "Chicken", you don't and you're a season wrecker. Yes putting those teams together makes perfect sense but there is absolutely no way that would pass NSAA Legislation.

St Edward and Fullerton don't want to co-op. St Ed is worried their kids won't get to play and Fullerton has no interest in Class C1. It's just really hard to find solutions but I believe the first thing we have to do is figure out if we REALLY have a problem that needs solving. The spirit of the NSAA is on full display in their commercials that play during state playoffs and tournaments. Opting down is absolutely in alignment with that spirit. That's why this is complicated.

Last edited:
I don't know, look at the teams that are doing this. Seriously, look at them.

These teams aren't going to hurt anyone along the way. I looked at the Twin River schedule, 8 games and half are against Ineligible or Exemption opponents. That is pretty good as far as scheduling. But here's the thing, they STILL will be lucky to win a game. They are just not good at football. Last year half the state was pissed at them because they were forfeiting games because they were so thin. There were times when they had 9 freshmen on the field. They tried to make 11 man work, until our opponents started calling the school encouraging our staff to opt the football team down.

I don't know how many in this forum have coaching experience. I do. It is really hard to coach against an opponent that lacks numbers, experience, and skill. On one hand, my starters deserve to get on the field because they have worked hard and earned that. On the other hand, it does those players absolutely NO good to play against that opponent. I want my players to go hard, because they have earned the right to do that. But I don't want them to hurt kids that weigh LITERALLY half what my kids weigh. I want to help my struggling opponent, not destroy their program.

I am not against opting down. I am against games against Ineligible AND Exemption period teams having any Wild Card Implications. Simply put, the opponent gets no points for the game...win or lose. Then these games don't effect the opponent's average. I also agree with scheduling the Ineligible teams against one another wherever possible.

I just don't understand all of the high blood pressure over these opt down teams.
Again I agree with some of your points, I would say that a JV schedule for two years may do more good than opting down, but regardless I completely agree these teams are doing what they feel is best for their school. I am very curouis what are the reasons these schools struggle and what are the similarities these school have. I just believe some real research by these schools may shed a light on a true issue But I dont see any by them or the state Instead I feel we just pass the problem around. I would also say if it truly about just wanting to play, then put those teams together and play each other as much as possible. I just feel like the entire problem is just passed off and never really looked out or researched because of the opting down option

Again I agree with some of your points, I would say that a JV schedule for two years may do more good than opting down, but regardless I completely agree these teams are doing what they feel is best for their school. I am very curouis what are the reasons these schools struggle and what are the similarities these school have. I just believe some real research by these schools may shed a light on a true issue But I dont see any by them or the state Instead I feel we just pass the problem around. I would also say if it truly about just wanting to play, then put those teams together and play each other as much as possible. I just feel like the entire problem is just passed off and never really looked out or researched because of the opting down option
Last year our administration desperately tried to drop us to a JV Only schedule due to the fact that Freshmen made up 60% of our roster. Stay 11 man, just play a JV schedule. We tried to do exactly what you suggested above. NSAA said absolutely not, you are obligated to play Varsity first, JV second. So that didn't work.

I agree that scheduling these teams exclusively with one another makes sense. I also believe the exemption should go away. Post season eligibility is for schools that are playing within the Class that their enrollment matches. No exceptions. That would make that scheduling even easier. However, that would require a vote and there's NO WAY THAT WOULD PASS. Remember the shot clock thing that Class A and B want... payback time. Plus, unaffected schools look at the big picture and say "are we really having this conversation... Schuyler still can't win a game, Winnebago still struggles, Twin River probably won't win an 8 man game, can we please talk about something that really matters". Throw in the fact that the schedule is already being done this way to the degree that it makes sense. Again, we have our panties in a wad but the people with a vote don't see it as nearly the issue we make it out to be.

Your suggestion about trying to get to the root of the problem is great. I know our school district has tried this repeatedly. They have pulled families, met with every single boy in the HS, tried hosting picnics and events, etc.. Some schools just don't have kids that want to play football. Since the decision to opt down, we (supposedly) have had several new kids come forward and state that they will be playing next year. However, we have also had (supposedly) some families state that they are switching schools because they want their kids to play "real football"??

I want to thank you for your posts and replies. You are respectfully bringing good ideas without all of the emotion and brain damage that many of these threads can cause. I sincerely appreciate it.

Last year our administration desperately tried to drop us to a JV Only schedule due to the fact that Freshmen made up 60% of our roster. Stay 11 man, just play a JV schedule. We tried to do exactly what you suggested above. NSAA said absolutely not, you are obligated to play Varsity first, JV second. So that didn't work.

I agree that scheduling these teams exclusively with one another makes sense. I also believe the exemption should go away. Post season eligibility is for schools that are playing within the Class that their enrollment matches. No exceptions. That would make that scheduling even easier. However, that would require a vote and there's NO WAY THAT WOULD PASS. Remember the shot clock thing that Class A and B want... payback time. Plus, unaffected schools look at the big picture and say "are we really having this conversation... Schuyler still can't win a game, Winnebago still struggles, Twin River probably won't win an 8 man game, can we please talk about something that really matters". Throw in the fact that the schedule is already being done this way to the degree that it makes sense. Again, we have our panties in a wad but the people with a vote don't see it as nearly the issue we make it out to be.

Your suggestion about trying to get to the root of the problem is great. I know our school district has tried this repeatedly. They have pulled families, met with every single boy in the HS, tried hosting picnics and events, etc.. Some schools just don't have kids that want to play football. Since the decision to opt down, we (supposedly) have had several new kids come forward and state that they will be playing next year. However, we have also had (supposedly) some families state that they are switching schools because they want their kids to play "real football"??

I want to thank you for your posts and replies. You are respectfully bringing good ideas without all of the emotion and brain damage that many of these threads can cause. I sincerely appreciate it.
I appreciate the discussion and I respect your opinion. I often wonder what these schools have in common, has to be something. I wish more discussion was on that and the possibilities of these teams playing each other more. Some of these schools have never won and some have been 8-man opting down for years and have won but never tried to go back up. I am fortunate enough to be at a school that 99 out 100 times we dont want to play these schools just because they are usually not good and just do not do us any good to play them because just becomes a jv game after the first quarter.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I appreciate the discussion and I respect your opinion. I often wonder what these schools have in common, has to be something. I wish more discussion was on that and the possibilities of these teams playing each other more. Some of these schools have never won and some have been 8-man opting down for years and have won but never tried to go back up. I am fortunate enough to be at a school that 99 out 100 times we dont want to play these schools just because they are usually not good and just do not do us any good to play them because just becomes a jv game after the first quarter.
I believe there are a lot of different factors. 10-15 years ago (for us), it was the students' desire to have a strong basketball team. We would have 30+ kids out for basketball, and 25 or less for football. We had kids that focused on basketball and that was the only sport they played. It payed off with a long string of 17+ win seasons. I recall being at a basketball game and not one of our players on the floor was a football player. This was a basketball team that won 20+ games.

In 20-ish years, we have never had a winning season. 4-5 is the best we have ever done, and mostly it is 2-6 or 1-7 with the occasional 0-8 in there. So our numbers are horrible, our tradition is horrible, and any reasonably athletic incoming freshmen knows that they are going to be thrown to the Varsity wolves at a ripe old age of 14 years old. These Jr High kids watch their Freshmen friends get lit up on Friday night, they see them walking the halls in shoulder slings, they see them standing on the sidelines in concussion protocol. These kids are plain and simple afraid to play because of what is happening to their friends. Can anyone really blame them?

I would also be interested in knowing if there are common traits between these schools.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT