ADVERTISEMENT

Football Coaching Changes

I think this was brewing about midseason. Falls City went from heavy run (single wing) to 5 wide Empty. That move wasn't made without some administrative pressure.

Falls City now open

Terry Clark, former Peru State College head coach was the DC down there this year. Will he take it over?

Reactions: coachsloup
Alex Lowther replaced Greg Welch at Hershey as HC with four games left and will remain HC next year. He's been an assistant to Greg for a few years and also played for Welch at Seward. He had success in CO before coming to Hershey and I'm biased but I think he can get them competitive again. Tough ending for Welch as he's been very successful in other stops in his career.

Alex Lowther replaced Greg Welch at Hershey as HC with four games left and will remain HC next year. He's been an assistant to Greg for a few years and also played for Welch at Seward. He had success in CO before coming to Hershey and I'm biased but I think he can get them competitive again. Tough ending for Welch as he's been very successful in other stops in his career.
Lowther is the AD as well?

Lowther is the AD as well?
No, Welch was the assistant principal and AD. He won a state title at Seward in 2001, the same year of the tragic bus accident on Dodge Street. I think he left Nebraska for a while, Hershey was his first job since coming back.

Reactions: Llama57
Coach Welch is a tremendous human being as well as coach. He's one of the many that has dedicated decades to building boys into men. My knowledge of the situation as a whole is limited, but I do know he has a multitude of responsibilities, both personal & professional that would take a toll on any human being. I wish him and his family well along with the Hershey athletic program.

Coach Welch is a tremendous human being as well as coach. He's one of the many that has dedicated decades to building boys into men. My knowledge of the situation as a whole is limited, but I do know he has a multitude of responsibilities, both personal & professional that would take a toll on any human being. I wish him and his family well along with the Hershey athletic program.
That makes two tremendous human beings that Hershey has removed from head FB. Ryan Smith is about as good of a guy as you will ever meet.

Falls City now open

Coach Fritz is a stand up guy! I always appreciated his positivity and genuine interest in the progress of our program during our post game conversations. Best of luck to him in whatever the future holds.

Reactions: hailvictors2
I hadn't heard Welch was relieved of his coaching duties at Hershey. Is he still there as assitant principal or AD. Can someone tell me what happened there with him?

I hadn't heard Welch was relieved of his coaching duties at Hershey. Is he still there as assitant principal or AD. Can someone tell me what happened there with him?
Still asst. principal and AD. Was decided for the betterment of the program to let Lowther take over and there wasn't much argument from Welch as I'm told.

Hershey doesn't sound like a real good situation right now
Hershey also "relieved" there girls basketball coach last year as well just a few games into the season. Setting a bad precedent. Zero young coaches are going to want to move there to coach knowing you could be let go in the middle of the season.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Hershey also "relieved" there girls basketball coach last year as well just a few games into the season. Setting a bad precedent. Zero young coaches are going to want to move there to coach knowing you could be let go in the middle of the season.
Agreed. Young coaches can find better spots to be. Welch should have been allowed to coach the rest of the year, especially if this was going to be his last year. For the betterment of the program? Yeah I am not buying that, I can bet this was led by disgruntled parents.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Agreed. Young coaches can find better spots to be. Welch should have been allowed to coach the rest of the year, especially if this was going to be his last year. For the betterment of the program? Yeah I am not buying that, I can bet this was led by disgruntled parents.
It doesn't make any sense. He's let go after the loss to Valentine I believe. That made them 0-6 which is already taking you out of post season contention. What is the difference between Welch finishing the year 0-9 and the interim finishing 0-9. Gained absolutely nothing by letting him go early.

It doesn't make any sense. He's let go after the loss to Valentine I believe. That made them 0-6 which is already taking you out of post season contention. What is the difference between Welch finishing the year 0-9 and the interim finishing 0-9. Gained absolutely nothing by letting him go early.
Parents gained an excuse Thats all this is

Hershey -- Alex Lowther
Falls City
Pleasanton
Syracuse
West Point Beemer

Last edited:
I have been exhausting resources to find out the WP-Beemer situation with Kliment and can’t find anything.
Nothing earth shattering, it just wasn't a good fit. Sounds like some inorganization and being in a little over his head came into play. When you have guys around that program like Bob Fuller and Bill McAllister you should lean on and learn from them like a sponge IMO.

Nothing earth shattering, it just wasn't a good fit. Sounds like some inorganization and being in a little over his head came into play. When you have guys around that program like Bob Fuller and Bill McAllister you should lean on and learn from them like a sponge IMO.
Sounds like too many cooks in the kitchen. What even happened to the old coach (Schlueter?) before Kliment? He did a great job of creating success and a hard nosed culture. Guessing Fuller takes over now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT