ADVERTISEMENT

D

Whats with all the teams 3/4 court trapping and pressing up 30-40 points against team with less talent? Im watching a game right now and its 37-3 with 4 min left in the second period and they are still 3/4 court trapping?!! What does that prove? We were full court pressed by the starters in a game last week with a running clock until 4 min left in the game?! Am I old school to think that is not good for anyone? And yes I get its our job to stop it but still when its an obvious mismatch in experience, Im curious if these teams press like that when they are getting smacked by schools with equal talent?
Lots of a hole coaches out there, sorry

Reactions: baseball31ne
Whats with all the teams 3/4 court trapping and pressing up 30-40 points against team with less talent? Im watching a game right now and it’s 37-3 with 4 min left in the second period and they are still 3/4 court trapping?!! What does that prove? We were full court pressed by the starters in a game last week with a running clock until 4 min left in the game?! Am I old school to think that is not good for anyone? And yes I get its our job to stop it but still when its an obvious mismatch in experience, Im curious if these teams press like that when they are getting smacked by schools with equal talent?
Second period??? You think maybe the coach is wanting their kids to get in the rhythm of playing competitive by keeping them in the game and running their plan to at least the half in hopes that they get their basketball legs by mid season? I understand your frustration of your team losing but you can’t blame the opposing coach for running a game plan you can’t stop. Second half is a different story.

Second period??? You think maybe the coach is wanting their kids to get in the rhythm of playing competitive by keeping them in the game and running their plan to at least the half in hopes that they get their basketball legs by mid season? I understand your frustration of your team losing but you can’t blame the opposing coach for running a game plan you can’t stop. Second half is a different story.
IF Its second period, not very concerned. After all it say running clock not till 40 so I would say get to 40 then sub and stop pressing

I agree you need to get the kids legs in shape for full games, but wouldn't it make more sense to drop the press and settle into your base defense? You would get more time on the floor that way. Also, I'm guessing they aren't getting through their offensive set at all and most points are coming from transition after a steal. How does that help your team long term?

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Being up 37-3 and trapping is asinine. You as a coach are trying to embarrass the other team. It's pretty obvious from the start of the game a game like that one will be lopsided. If the defense gets a fast break stealing at the three point line, that is different than trapping 3/4 court. Fast break layups against bad teams will not help a team at the state tournament in March.

In hoops, teams with a big lead should be able to work their offense and different sets around if they know the game is over early. Gives the better team more time on the court to get different looks and more consistent with their offense, it also doesn't' completely embarrass the other team. I'm not saying hold the ball if you are the better team. Get right, set up yours plays and work it around and find the best shot.

I agree you need to get the kids legs in shape for full games, but wouldn't it make more sense to drop the press and settle into your base defense? You would get more time on the floor that way. Also, I'm guessing they aren't getting through their offensive set at all and most points are coming from transition after a steal. How does that help your team long term?
so why is the running clock not till 40, maybe that coach wanted to get it to 40 then sub all out for rest of the game, because maybe they had three games that week, just think since its the second quarter there are a lot of reason why depending on the circumstances I personally dont have a problem at all in the first half of play
Being up 37-3 and trapping is asinine. You as a coach are trying to embarrass the other team. It's pretty obvious from the start of the game a game like that one will be lopsided. If the defense gets a fast break stealing at the three point line, that is different than trapping 3/4 court. Fast break layups against bad teams will not help a team at the state tournament in March.

In hoops, teams with a big lead should be able to work their offense and different sets around if they know the game is over early. Gives the better team more time on the court to get different looks and more consistent with their offense, it also doesn't' completely embarrass the other team. I'm not saying hold the ball if you are the better team. Get right, set up yours plays and work it around and find the best shot.

so why is the running clock not till 40, maybe that coach wanted to get it to 40 then sub all out for rest of the game, because maybe they had three games that week, just think since its the second quarter there are a lot of reason why depending on the circumstances I personally dont have a problem at all in the first half of play
Why not play your bench and save legs that way?

Why not play your bench and save legs that way?
I dont know I have no clue, but maybe he wanted to work on some stuff, maybe 10 years ago that school did the same. i dont know. I dont care, I just think in first half a coach can do what he or she feels best for them in that situation, I wonder what the final was of the game and what teams are they talking about

I dont know I have no clue, but maybe he wanted to work on some stuff, maybe 10 years ago that school did the same. i dont know. I dont care, I just think in first half a coach can do what he or she feels best for them in that situation, I wonder what the final was of the game and what teams are they talking about
I'm curious of that myself as to who it was. I am all for working on what you need to, and I agree especially in the first half. I just think at 37-3 you have probably gotten all you are going to get out of it already.

I'm curious of that myself as to who it was. I am all for working on what you need to, and I agree especially in the first half. I just think at 37-3 you have probably gotten all you are going to get out of it already.
I cant really agrue with that, its just so much more could be in play and since we dont know who or any of the background on it, I would say its the first half of play, if you dont like it get better

Reactions: mikeneujahr
Just seems like poor sportsmanship. Not sure what the amount you should be up before pulling off the press It use to seem like between 20-25 pt lead out of respect for the game you pull it off and work on other aspects of the game

Just seems like poor sportsmanship. Not sure what the amount you should be up before pulling off the press It use to seem like between 20-25 pt lead out of respect for the game you pull it off and work on other aspects of the game
again I would like to know what and game and what was the final just not enough info to say it was bad

Whats with all the teams 3/4 court trapping and pressing up 30-40 points against team with less talent? Im watching a game right now and its 37-3 with 4 min left in the second period and they are still 3/4 court trapping?!! What does that prove? We were full court pressed by the starters in a game last week with a running clock until 4 min left in the game?! Am I old school to think that is not good for anyone? And yes I get its our job to stop it but still when its an obvious mismatch in experience, Im curious if these teams press like that when they are getting smacked by schools with equal talent?
what game and who was playing. do you know the final more info, if unwilling to give this information, then must be a mad parent that does want to admit, maybe you should have made jimmy practice more at home

Last edited:
Anything goes for the most part in the 1st half, second half all reserves and pull the pressure back, just like what most football coaches do.

I guess I didn't see it happen, but wow that seems excessive.

I know the OP said 3/4 Court Trap, but wonder if it was really a 1/2 court 1-3-1 in which the 1 Defender just happened to pick up the ball past midcourt. I say this because there a some teams that run a 1/2 Court 1-3-1 Trap as their base defense (Humphrey St Francis as an example). It is basically the only defense they know.

I would think that no matter what the case a defense could be pulled back. I hate these deals because absolutely nobody benefits. The lesser skilled team learns nothing, and the more skilled team does even worse than not learning anything.

It was 64-16 final. Solid advice I will try that
I have seen schuyler play, I am not sure how any team thats decent keeps the score respectful with that team, sorry but wow they are not good at all. I still say first half. NO problem with it all.
must been a JV game then
12/01/22MadisonC23-22L37-4736
12/02/22@ Douglas County WestC13-11L31-8039
12/06/22David CityC12-22L33-5636
12/10/22@ PlattsmouthB1-33L28-6633
12/13/22BlairB3-22L17-7036

I have seen schuyler play, I am not sure how any team thats decent keeps the score respectful with that team, sorry but wow they are not good at all. I still say first half. NO problem with it all.
must been a JV game then
12/01/22MadisonC23-22L37-4736
12/02/22@ Douglas County WestC13-11L31-8039
12/06/22David CityC12-22L33-5636
12/10/22@ PlattsmouthB1-33L28-6633
12/13/22BlairB3-22L17-7036
Girls

I say the same doesn't seem to be an unusual event for schuyler and in first half so be it To be honest if I am a team, I am not scheduling schuyler, its a no win situation
12/01/22MadisonC12-33L20-2933
12/02/22@ Douglas County WestC13-22L16-6436
12/06/22David CityC12-33L10-5133
12/10/22@ PlattsmouthB2-22L16-5436
12/13/22BlairB5-11L8-5139

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT