ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley needs your help.

This might be a problem. 1st the number of boys participating in football across the state is dwindling. 2nd if we do have good potential players out there, Nebraska seems to be the last team to the table. Our best small school players find a home somewhere else and its amazing how they seem to do very well for other teams. Maybe we should first find someone to put on Nebraska's staff that has Nebraska roots in football to help recruit the instate kids.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
This might be a problem. 1st the number of boys participating in football across the state is dwindling. 2nd if we do have good potential players out there, Nebraska seems to be the last team to the table. Our best small school players find a home somewhere else and its amazing how they seem to do very well for other teams. Maybe we should first find someone to put on Nebraska's staff that has Nebraska roots in football to help recruit the instate kids.
That was a Bo problem of low balling kids like Drew Ott.

I think that will change with the new staff. Kids who I think may get a late Nebraska offer are Jake Matthews from Millard North (LB) and David Engelhaupt (OLB). As far as lineman go, we are in on some good talent out of state, hopefully a few Nebraska kids can walk on.

Are there any good young linemen out there like Nebraska used to produce in fairly adequate numbers for our running teams of the '90's? Especially outside of Omaha and Lincoln? Juniors and sophs?
Most of those guys walked on, redshirted and see playing time until their Jr. or Sr. years. A lot of NU fans don't have that kind of patience anymore.

OP, I appreciate your effort to jump start recruiting of Nebraska kids to Lincoln. I guess my question is, how is bringing our farm boys to the Huskers going to help if Riley's staff chooses to pass 70% of the time? This is most likely not the board for me to make this comment, but Mike Riley needs help hiring a new OC who understands the weather in the Midwest.

That was a Bo problem of low balling kids like Drew Ott.

I think that will change with the new staff. Kids who I think may get a late Nebraska offer are Jake Matthews from Millard North (LB) and David Engelhaupt (OLB). As far as lineman go, we are in on some good talent out of state, hopefully a few Nebraska kids can walk on.

Jake Matthews looked very good at linebacker (new position for him). But he has missed the last three or four games due to injury. He still plays FB and I'm a big fan so I hope the Huskers offer. Maybe Andy Janovich's recent work at FB for the Huskers could help big #33 for the Mustangs.

By the way, I think Millard North Junior Center Cody Ritterbush looks good on HUDL film. He is already 280 pounds. He is only listed at 6'1 but so was former Husker and Mustang center, Mike Caputo.

OP, I appreciate your effort to jump start recruiting of Nebraska kids to Lincoln. I guess my question is, how is bringing our farm boys to the Huskers going to help if Riley's staff chooses to pass 70% of the time? This is most likely not the board for me to make this comment, but Mike Riley needs help hiring a new OC who understands the weather in the Midwest.

Maybe, hopefully HCMR will realize running the ball 70% of the time is the only way Nebraska can compete.

This is interesting. Who are some former Nebraska High School lineman making an impact at Division 1 schools other than UNL? Would be interesting to see that list.

This is interesting. Who are some former Nebraska High School lineman making an impact at Division 1 schools other than UNL? Would be interesting to see that list.

Casey Sayles DE (Ohio)
Chritian LaCoutre DE (LSU) oh well
Nathan Bazata DT (Iowa)
Drew Ott (Iowa)
Harrison Phillips (Stanford)

Adam Holtorf (K-St) is the only o-lineman I can think of. But he's just a freshman.

Casey Sayles DE (Ohio)
Chritian LaCoutre DE (LSU) oh well
Nathan Bazata DT (Iowa)
Drew Ott (Iowa)
Harrison Phillips (Stanford)

Adam Holtorf (K-St) is the only o-lineman I can think of. But he's just a freshman.

Thanks Catch 50

Chritian LaCoutre committed to Texas A&M before committing to Nebraska...then he decommitted and committed to LSU. He lived in Nebraska for a year (after committing to UNL) so he's not a Nebraska native.

Reactions: Hskr23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT