ADVERTISEMENT

Possible conference shakeup?

To me Skutt and SSC should be in the Eastern Midlands going forward.

Auburn and Falls City would be good pair, just not sure where.

In the Lewis and Clark, Allen and Emerson Hubbard will be one.

Always surprised the Mid-States doesnt have a 10th. Lutheran High in Norfolk? Ponca? Madison and Stanton both left not too many years ago. West Point Beemer always seems like a great fit to me but it seems like as long as Guarduan Angels is there it wont happen. Thinking out of the box here but....Winnebago? They continue to grow in enrollment which in theory should help their competitiveness in some of the secondary sports.

Reactions: northeastNebraska

Always surprised the Mid-States doesnt have a 10th. Lutheran High in Norfolk? Ponca? Madison and Stanton both left not too many years ago. West Point Beemer always seems like a great fit to me but it seems like as long as Guarduan Angels is there it wont happen. Thinking out of the box here but....Winnebago? They continue to grow in enrollment which in theory should help their competitiveness in some of the secondary sports.

I think several years ago LHNE was maybe considered. No idea if anyone is now or not

Falls City and Auburn would be good fits in the Capital. Ashland-Greenwood will leave soon (2 years max) to join the Trailblazer. That will put the Capital at 9.

I think EMC and River Cities will eventually merge.

Allen and EH will put the Lewis and Clark at 16.

WPB should be in the Mid State. GACC should be in the EHC. I’ve said that for years.

I think EMC and River Cities will eventually merge.

Allen and EH will put the Lewis and Clark at 16.

WPB should be in the Mid State. GACC should be in the EHC. I’ve said that for years.

I've often wondered the same.....though GACC has more than been competitive in the Mid-State, especially on the girls side.

I've often wondered the same.....though GACC has more than been competitive in the Mid-State, especially on the girls side.
Agree. Competition isn’t an issue. And I know GACC has good relationships with the schools, it’s just from a size standpoint.

Playing against Wayne, Pierce, Boone, and Battle Creek is going to keep growing is somewhat crazy to me. If GACC wasn’t as good as they have been the last 20 years I don’t think they’d be in the league anymore. I like GACC in the league, but WPB seems like a natural fit. Especially now with LVSS leaving the EHC.

WPB is by far the largest in the EHC. NBC is behind them but if the Tigers get a chance to join the Capitol when Ashland-Greenwood leaves...the Cadets will have a very full D1-C2 conference schedule.

Link: https://journalstar.com/sports/high...cle_38847c9d-b353-517e-85a7-96362a9fa060.html

Ron Powell of the Lincoln Journal Star is calling for the Lincoln schools to break away from the HAC and form their own Class A conference.

Lincoln Public Schools will be adding two new high schools, one opening in 2022 and the other in 2023. That would give Lincoln nine Class A schools (eight public schools plus Pius X). He also suggests that with growth, someday Norris and Waverly could very well be Class A schools, and this new "Star City Conference" would be a natural landing spot for them.

He then proposes the remaining HAC members (Columbus, Fremont, Grand Island, Kearney, Norfolk) could pick up Hastings, North Platte and South Sioux City to have their own 8-team league.

Reactions: nenebskers
Link: https://journalstar.com/sports/high...cle_38847c9d-b353-517e-85a7-96362a9fa060.html

Ron Powell of the Lincoln Journal Star is calling for the Lincoln schools to break away from the HAC and form their own Class A conference.

Lincoln Public Schools will be adding two new high schools, one opening in 2022 and the other in 2023. That would give Lincoln nine Class A schools (eight public schools plus Pius X). He also suggests that with growth, someday Norris and Waverly could very well be Class A schools, and this new "Star City Conference" would be a natural landing spot for them.

He then proposes the remaining HAC members (Columbus, Fremont, Grand Island, Kearney, Norfolk) could pick up Hastings, North Platte and South Sioux City to have their own 8-team league.
Interesting, I wouldn’t hate that.

Yes! No need for these huge conferences. No large TV deals are in place like the colleges. The Metro should do the same with OPS and non OPS schools.

Still odd to me Falls City is in the ECNC. Falls City playing Mead and Weeping Water? That conference need to reorganize IMO.

8:30 am on Easter morning, and digging up a thread that hasn't been posted in since early July of 2020? Must be very concerning for you. Then again, I'm replying to it at 10:00 pm on Easter too.

Looking it up, Falls City split with Weeping Water and Mead in Volleyball (had a cancellation with Weeping Water in the ECNC VB tournament and lost to Mead...then beat Weeping Water regular season), Boys Basketball beat Weeping Water and lost to Mead, and Girls Basketball lost to Weeping Water twice and didn't play Mead.

There might be a reason that a conference with some smaller schools like the ECNC would be enticing to Falls City, vs. a Trailblazer or a Capitol Conference.

8:30 am on Easter morning, and digging up a thread that hasn't been posted in since early July of 2020? Must be very concerning for you. Then again, I'm replying to it at 10:00 pm on Easter too.

Looking it up, Falls City split with Weeping Water and Mead in Volleyball (had a cancellation with Weeping Water in the ECNC VB tournament and lost to Mead...then beat Weeping Water regular season), Boys Basketball beat Weeping Water and lost to Mead, and Girls Basketball lost to Weeping Water twice and didn't play Mead.

There might be a reason that a conference with some smaller schools like the ECNC would be enticing to Falls City, vs. a Trailblazer or a Capitol Conference.
Honestly, I am making a spreadsheet of conference reorganization, I remembered this thread from the past and the Falls City post was the last post in it. So...

It just seems odd a large C1 school is playing D2 schools that are over an hour away, when they could play similar sized schools the same distance. But, FC hasn't had a conference home in years, so maybe there was a reason for that.

Reactions: saluno22
Honestly, I am making a spreadsheet of conference reorganization, I remembered this thread from the past and the Falls City post was the last post in it. So...

It just seems odd a large C1 school is playing D2 schools that are over an hour away, when they could play similar sized schools the same distance. But, FC hasn't had a conference home in years, so maybe there was a reason for that.

Fair enough.

And to be fair to the small school's they are both D1 in basketball this year. And on the girls side, Mead has been in C2 as recently as last year, and Weeping Water was a normal C2 not too long ago. But those schools definitely fluctuate a bit.

Hey while we are on the subject, did anyone catch Ansley/Litchfield moving to the Fort Kearny Conference this year? Was supprised to see them leave the MNAC

Reactions: TC53
Interesting about Ansley/Litchfield. Co-ops put another piece of spin on conference calculus. How confident are the other schools that you are going to keep the co-op going, etc.... Interesting.

Litchfield was in the FKC before forming the co-op with Ansley. So I guess the move makes sense. Ansley leaves a lot of old conference rivals from the LVC/MNAC.

Why wouldn't Falls City try to get into that southern conference with Fairbury and all of them?

Someone mentioned the Capitol Conference. I don't think that fits at all geographically but neither did GNAC as a whole.

Falls City is in such a tough spot geographically. I think no matter what conf they are in they are going to have some significant travel. I always look at the team in the conference (or district) that is as far away as possible. I remember one year (Power T will remember this, too) that a football district had Southern Valley and Ord. Not too uncommon for the far west district, but usually that second district from the west doesn't have that type of travel for in-district play. That is something like 140 miles and 2:30 drive time. That is one thing on a Friday night, but it is another when you have to do that on a Tuesday night for Vball or Bball (not that my SV-Ord example did). At one point the Trailblazer Conf was talking about adding Hastings. Neb City to Hastings for a Tuesday basketball game is not ideal. I know the western part of the state does that all the time. I think the HAC and Centennial do it, but again...if you can avoid it I think you avoid it.

Hey while we are on the subject, did anyone catch Ansley/Litchfield moving to the Fort Kearny Conference this year? Was supprised to see them leave the MNAC
This is year 2 of A-L being in the FKC. They filled the void left by the coop of Elwood and Eustis Farnam. Would love to see Bertrand join and Amherst move on.

Reactions: ashley.rohde
This is year 2 of A-L being in the FKC. They filled the void left by the coop of Elwood and Eustis Farnam. Would love to see Bertrand join and Amherst move on.
At one point the LouPlatte was looking at Amherst as a member. That would be a great fit, especially now that Kearney Catholic and Adams Central have moved on. There are some schools that are very similar in size there.

At one point the LouPlatte was looking at Amherst as a member. That would be a great fit, especially now that Kearney Catholic and Adams Central have moved on. There are some schools that are very similar in size there.
Isnt Amherst a D1 school. why wouldnt they just stay in a D1/D2 conference ? legit asking here

They are C2 in some sports I think. I know they were C in wrestling for a year or two recently, but not sure if they still are. They are D1 football.

When Kearney decided to build a new school on the south side of town. Amhersts numbers have exploded. You should see their JH numbers.
Yeah Amherst would be a nice fit in the LouPlatte. Amherst will benefit in the long run with Kearney’s continued growth and Kearney only wanting one public HS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT