ADVERTISEMENT

September 20th High School games getting moved

kaz36

All-State
May 2, 2005
Any other schools looking at moving their games so they don’t compete with the Husker game that night?

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Why not both? If schools can move to Thursday, they should. Friday night college football isn’t going away.
In my opinion it’s stupid to move a game because of a college game. Moving a game from Friday to Thursday causes a lot of conflicts within your own school. I know I wouldn’t be happy to have a son playing football on Thursday night in one community and a daughter playing volleyball in a different community. Local school and kids in the community should be the priority, not a game in Lincoln.

Reactions: EndzoneView
In my opinion it’s stupid to move a game because of a college game. Moving a game from Friday to Thursday causes a lot of conflicts within your own school. I know I wouldn’t be happy to have a son playing football on Thursday night in one community and a daughter playing volleyball in a different community. Local school and kids in the community should be the priority, not a game in Lincoln.
I agree with this.
I also think it is important to note that any outrage about Nebraska playing on Friday night needs to be directed towards the Big 10, not Nebraska. Rhule and staff didn't ask for this.

Happens frequently now, especially outside the metro areas, due to officiating shortages.

People can be upset at the B1G with this, but at the end of the day, you have to adapt. Nebraska isn’t going to say no to television dollars. This game is going to draw big numbers and hopefully be a three hour advertisement for Matt Rhule and the program with no other games being played. If it was on the next day it would be buried at 11 AM on BTN.

It may be inconvenient, (it’s one game) but is the reality of CFB in 2024 and beyond.

I agree with this.
I also think it is important to note that any outrage about Nebraska playing on Friday night needs to be directed towards the Big 10, not Nebraska. Rhule and staff didn't ask for this.
I have zero outrage about Nebraska playing on a Friday. I just disagree with moving high school football games because of a college game.

I have zero outrage about Nebraska playing on a Friday. I just disagree with moving high school football games because of a college game.
I know I wouldn’t be happy to have a son playing football on Thursday night in one community and a daughter playing volleyball in a different community. Local school and kids in the community should be the priority, not a game in Lincoln.
Due to a shortage of officials, we have had high school football games played on Thursday night (6pm), Friday afternoon (2 - 4pm), and Saturday night (7pm).

In fact, this is basically an every week occurrence. I can turn on a local radio station (or 2) in the fall on almost any Thursday night and Friday afternoon to listen to a high school football game in my area.

Why is this any different? Games are moved all the time. When I was in school in the 90s, our HS girls vb was played at 6pm with the HS boys fb game to follow at 7:30pm. This allowed the vb teams to have a lot of fans watching that attended both events.

Now with the games being played on different days, the vb teams don't even get half the fans to come watch. 95% of the time it is only us parents there to support our girls vb team. No other fans.

Maybe a couple times a year we run into issues with high school volleyball conflicting with football, so moving a game due to a college fb game would not change much.

Our AD has scheduled Junior High games while high school games are being played in both volleyball and basketball.

My wife and I have had to choose to either both go to one game and not the other or to split up and one of us go to each game.

With this happening several times a year, I have no issues with a Friday night football game getting moved due to a college game. It's an easy move that doesn't change much at all, as long as it is scheduled ahead of time to let people know so they can make plans to attend.

I think some schools will shift games, but not the majority. The reason is a bit ironic. NU and other colleges are playing Fridays because they HAVE TO offer more TV content, and they can't say no to any of the money in order to keep operating like they are. Many high schools will not move because the FB gate isn't existential to them anymore. It used to be. In pre-Title IX times, football and basketball gates were expected to support those programs plus track and any tennis/golf/XC/wrestling programs around. This was still the thinking in the 70s and that's why the energy crisis was seen as so threatening to high school athletics. FB/BB gates were already falling short now that girls programs had been added, and more travel expenses were unimaginable to the admins. Reagan-era education cuts in the 80s did the same. The solution that developed, slowly and painfully at times, was the disconnect between athletic funding and the FB/BB gate. It just wouldn't work anymore, but communities made it clear that they still wanted athletics. So, school budgets (and athlete activity fees) had to pick up more than just the slack. In olden times that was unthinkable, but now it is the norm of how things work. Many ADs will be more worried about complicating their already complicated myriad schedules by shifting a big event like football than they will about the loss of a percentage of ticket sales on one Friday night.

BWest and Westside have a different motivation. That is likely to be the biggest game in the state. Playing Friday would make it #2 to NU. They are moving to keep the big-big-big game atmosphere they expect.

I prefer to have several games each season where I have to rely on the radio. It reminds me of my youth and keeps my blood pressure down. Everyone hates the TV crews anyway. I say find your grandpa's transistor radio with the one-year head phone and go to a high school game. It was always a blast to hear a crowd roar at a Hastings College game when I was a kid that didn't have anything to do with the game in the stadium, but was rather everyone listening to NU on their radios.

I prefer to have several games each season where I have to rely on the radio. It reminds me of my youth and keeps my blood pressure down. Everyone hates the TV crews anyway. I say find your grandpa's transistor radio with the one-year head phone and go to a high school game. It was always a blast to hear a crowd roar at a Hastings College game when I was a kid that didn't have anything to do with the game in the stadium, but was rather everyone listening to NU on their radios.
Also great for when your sibling has their wedding during a Husker game. 😁

Reactions: TC53 and TwinsRRUs
I see both sides and they both make sense.

Here is the reality no matter what event (wedding, HS football, fund raiser, etc.) is going up against Husker Football...the other event will suffer. I have seen wedding dances almost empty because everyone is huddled up in the bar or a hotel room watching the Husker Game. I have seen fund raisers suffer because people leave in favor of Husker Football.

I personally agree with schools rescheduling as opposed to an entire grandstand full of people watching the Husker Game on their phones or worse yet, and empty grandstand.

Here is the reality no matter what event (wedding, HS football, fund raiser, etc.) is going up against Husker Football...the other event will suffer. I have seen wedding dances almost empty because everyone is huddled up in the bar or a hotel room watching the Husker Game. I have seen fund raisers suffer because people leave in favor of Husker Football.

I personally agree with schools rescheduling as opposed to an entire grandstand full of people watching the Husker Game on their phones or worse yet, and empty grandstand.
This.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs

I have never seen any of that happen. Been to weddings in the fall and there might be some that do what you talked about but the majority put the couple first. Never seen my local high school have empty stands either. Maybe what you’re talking about is a Lincoln and Omaha problem and not a rural problem.

I have never seen any of that happen. Been to weddings in the fall and there might be some that do what you talked about but the majority put the couple first. Never seen my local high school have empty stands either. Maybe what you’re talking about is a Lincoln and Omaha problem and not a rural problem.
I have seen it at weddings plenty of times in rural Nebraska. Especially if it's a 2:30 kick and the game is tight at the end. Many people are on their phones or trying to find a tv right when they get to the reception.

I have seen it at weddings plenty of times in rural Nebraska. Especially if it's a 2:30 kick and the game is tight at the end. Many people are on their phones or trying to find a tv right when they get to the reception.
People must have their priorities straight at the weddings I go to in in rural Nebraska then, because I have never seen what you are talking about.

People must have their priorities straight at the weddings I go to in in rural Nebraska then, because I have never seen what you are talking about.
It still happens, but not as common as it used to be due to the quality of the Husker teams and seasons.

If this season starts off great for the Huskers, I could see it happening more again.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you could have not seen it if you were at a wedding/reception during a Husker football game over the last 40 years.

Plenty of times the groom or groomsmen themselves are the ones doing it, but almost always a small group of guys listening and/or watching the game.

Either you are a big fan of the Huskers and care about what is happening in the game, or you are not a big fan of the Cornhuskers and I would blame most of that on their lack of winning. I, myself, no longer leave the field (fall harvest) to go watch the games at home. Started about 3 years ago, but I am over 40 now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT