Last Team In

#16 Papillion-LaVista (4-5) - 37.8889

First Five Out
Papillion-LaVista South (5-4) - 39.1111
Lincoln Northeast (5-4) - 37.7778
Norfolk (4-5) - 37.2222
Gretna (3-6) - 37.0000
Millard North (3-6) - 37.0000

Papilllion-LaVista won a point tie-breaker within their district to grab the second automatic qualifying spot from that district over Millard North and Gretna

===================================

CLASS B

Last Team In

#16 Bennington (3-5) - 37.6667

First Five Out
Plattsmouth (3-6) - 36.3333
Crete (3-6) - 36.0000
Omaha Gross (2-7) - 35.1111
Beatrice (1-8) - 34.2222
Gering (0-9) - 33.3333

CLASS C1

Last Teams In

#15 Chadron (5-4) - 38.5556
#16 Arlington (4-5) - 37.2222

First Five Out (+ others)
Columbus Lakeview (6-3) - 40.6667
Cozad (5-4) - 40.0000
Broken Bow (5-4) - 39.4444
Columbus Scotus (4-5) - 39.2222
Boys Town (5-4) - 38.7778
#15 Chadron (5-4) - 38.5556
Boone Central/Newman Grove (4-5) - 38.5556
Valentine (4-5) - 38.2222
Kearney Catholic (4-5) - 38.2222
Chase County (4-5) - 38.1111
Nebraska City (4-5) - 37.7778
Ogallala (4-5) - 37.5556
Omaha Concordia (4-5) - 37.4444

Arlington and Chadron earned playoff berths by being district champions

CLASS C2

Last Team In

#16 North Platte St. Patrick's (6-3) - 39.7778

First Five Out
Grand Island Central Catholic (5-4) - 39.6667
Wood River (5-4) - 39.1111
Centura (5-4) - 39.0000
Hartington Cedar Catholic (4-5) - 38.2222
Johnson County Central (4-5) - 37.2222

CLASS D1

Last Teams In

#16 Palmer (2-6) - 37.8750
#16 Southern (4-4) - 37.7500

First Teams Out
Wakefield (6-2) - 43.8705 (ineligible)
Ravenna (6-2) - 42.0000 (ineligible)
Palmyra (5-3) - 39.2500 (ineligible)
Kimball (4-4) - 39.0000 (ineligible)
Winnebago (3-5) - 38.7500 (ineligible)
---------------------------------------
Atkinson West Holt (2-6) - 37.2500
Homer (1-7) - 37.0000
Shelton (3-5) - 36.8750
Bayard (3-5) - 36.8750
Alma (2-6) - 36.6250

CLASS D2

Last Teams In

#15 Twin Loup (3-5) - 38.7500
#16 Wausa (3-5) - 38.7500
#16 Paxton (2-6) - 38.1250

First Five Teams Out
Anselmo-Merna (3-5) - 38.1250
Axtell (5-3) - 38.0000
Maxwell (3-5) - 37.7500
O'Neill St. Mary's (2-6) - 37.5000
Elgin/Elgin Pope John (2-6) - 37.5000

Paxton won tie-breaker over Anselmo-Merna for final playoff spot

CLASS D6

Last Team In

#16 Red Cloud (5-3) - 38.6250

First Five Out
Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family (6-2) - 41.3750 (ineligible)
--------------------------------------
Heartland Lutheran (4-4) - 38.3750
South Platte (3-5) - 38.1250
McPherson County/Stapleton (3-5) - 38.1250 (ineligible)
St. Edward (2-6) - 36.6250
Maywood/Hayes Center (2-6) - 36.6250
Dorchester (3-5) - 36.2500
Crawford (2-6) - 36.0000

Columbus Lakeview got a raw deal in C-1 when their only losses are to Nuemann, Wahoo and Pierce. The powers that be need to adjust the point totals to match basketball. Losing to the #1 or #2 team in the State shouldn't be 36 pts when beating the worst team is worth 41. They are a top 10 team easily and are in a district with Wahoo, Neumann, Lakeview, Scotus and Raymond Central. Serpentined districts perhaps on the horizon? I think they need to consider a remedy for this situation. Its not fair to a really good team who should be hosting a playoff game instead of checking in their gear.

Columbus Lakeview got a raw deal in C-1 when their only losses are to Nuemann, Wahoo and Pierce. The powers that be need to adjust the point totals to match basketball. Losing to the #1 or #2 team in the State shouldn't be 36 pts when beating the worst team is worth 41. They are a top 10 team easily and are in a district with Wahoo, Neumann, Lakeview, Scotus and Raymond Central. Serpentined districts perhaps on the horizon? I think they need to consider a remedy for this situation. Its not fair to a really good team who should be hosting a playoff game instead of checking in their gear.

I understand what your saying, and agree to an extent, but ultimately Lakeview had three chances to prove it on the field and they didnt.

Someone will always be left out, no matter how many teams are in the field or what the formula is. I agree that the formula could be better, 100% for improving it if we can. But again, Lakeview had chances to show that they belong and never proved it where it matters most, on the field, not by a formula.

Reactions: runningback43

Did Milford beating Doniphan-Trumbull affect this?

Also 3 teams that would normally be division 1 or 2 teams(Scotus, Wayne, Boone)all were division 3 wins for Lakeview.

I am with you hd. The NSAA has to come up with a better way of rewarding teams that play a more difficult schedule. Logistically we know all teams can not play the same strength of schedule and some districts are loaded, while others are weak, so that's why we have power points. But you are exactly right, there is too much difference between losing to a top team and beating a lower team. And saying " just beat them on the field" is all fine and dandy. But the complaint isn't about the top level teams that Lakeview lost to and got in. It's about the poorer team that played a weaker schedule, but got in because of their WEAKER schedule. And I don't understand what the complaint is if a team with a 4-5 record gets in over a team with a 5-4 record. It seems we are more concerned about an "unworthy" getting than, leaving out a truly "worthy" team missing out. An unworthy team will soon be eliminated. The worthy team sitting on the sidelines is the one getting the shaft. (rant over)

Did Arlington "prove it on the field"? They lost to DC West 42-7 in week 9.
Lakeview beat DC West by 3 scores. This does not seem like a playoff
team that "proved it on the field".

Ask Neumann, Pierce, and Wahoo if they think Lakeview belongs. I bet all
three schools would agree that Lakeview belongs.

Serpentine the districts or push the number of playoff teams to 24 teams.

I am with you hd. The NSAA has to come up with a better way of rewarding teams that play a more difficult schedule. Logistically we know all teams can not play the same strength of schedule and some districts are loaded, while others are weak, so that's why we have power points. But you are exactly right, there is too much difference between losing to a top team and beating a lower team. And saying " just beat them on the field" is all fine and dandy. But the complaint isn't about the top level teams that Lakeview lost to and got in. It's about the poorer team that played a weaker schedule, but got in because of their WEAKER schedule. And I don't understand what the complaint is if a team with a 4-5 record gets in over a team with a 5-4 record. It seems we are more concerned about an "unworthy" getting than, leaving out a truly "worthy" team missing out. An unworthy team will soon be eliminated. The worthy team sitting on the sidelines is the one getting the shaft. (rant over)
Not sure on this one, they played three teams with a winning record and lost to all three, schedule was only tough for 3 games, rest was average to weak

Not sure on this one, they played three teams with a winning record and lost to all three, schedule was only tough for 3 games, rest was average to weak
That may be. And I understand both sides on this to a point. But we tend to hold these teams up for comparison to the top teams in the class rather than the teams that barely beat them out to get in the playoffs. And it makes it tough when 1 or 2 teams win their districts with fewer playoff points than several teams that don't get in. Not picking on Chadron and Arlington, they were just the last 2 in, but were their schedules better than "average to weak"?

I know its 2018 but...

Lakeview vs. #3 Ord Lakeview 2-0 in 2016 and 2017
Lakeview vs. #5 AC Lakeview 2-0 in 2016 and 2017
Lakeview vs. #13 Milford Lakeview 2-0 in 2016 and 2017

I know its a new year with different circumstances but these results
over the last two years do not make it any easier for the Lakeview faithful
to accept that they are not in the 2018 State Playoffs.

I know its 2018 but...

Lakeview vs. #3 Ord Lakeview 2-0 in 2016 and 2017
Lakeview vs. #5 AC Lakeview 2-0 in 2016 and 2017
Lakeview vs. #13 Milford Lakeview 2-0 in 2016 and 2017

I know its a new year with different circumstances but these results
over the last two years do not make it any easier for the Lakeview faithful
to accept that they are not in the 2018 State Playoffs.
I can see your complaint

There will always be districts in the state that are a lot harder than some districts. I still think it should be the top 16 in points that consist of the playoffs.

Just change it to top 16 teams in points make the playoffs. With some of these districts being a lot weaker than other districts, I don't see why a team that wins a really weak district gets in over somebody that had to play a lot tougher schedule. Hopefully somebody will make a proposal to end the district champions getting in just because they won a weak district. Teams like North Platte St. Pats, Chadron and Arlington probably played in 3 of the weakest districts in C-1 and C-2. All 3 of them will get their butts kicked in the first round.

You have to penalize the C1 teams that get wins over C2 teams, especially if the C2 teams finish the season with a losing record.

Look at the bonus points that C1 teams get when they win or lose to a B school. There must be a penalty when you step down to play C2, especially when they have a losing record.

Force C1 to play C1, even if it means more travel - maybe meet 1/2 way at a neutral field.

Just change it to top 16 teams in points make the playoffs. With some of these districts being a lot weaker than other districts, I don't see why a team that wins a really weak district gets in over somebody that had to play a lot tougher schedule. Hopefully somebody will make a proposal to end the district champions getting in just because they won a weak district. Teams like North Platte St. Pats, Chadron and Arlington probably played in 3 of the weakest districts in C-1 and C-2. All 3 of them will get their butts kicked in the first round.
I agree. Give them their District Champion plaque, and take the top 16 teams. Or if we have to have all district champions in, expand back to a 32 team field or possibly just a 24 team field with first round byes for the top seeds. We bend over backward for the weak districts and penalize teams who play a tough regular season schedule.

Be careful. You can’t take the top 16 in points and get the best 16. The current points system rewards wins and the weighting’s for the points does not take in quality of opponents or class rankings. A team can win against a really weak schedule and make it to ten or twelve in the rankings.

Play against weak opponents and you get rewarded right now, so the NSAA hasn’t your playoff fate sealed when they send you your schedule. Teams that don’t play down with C2 teams are not rewarded.

Be careful. You can’t take the top 16 in points and get the best 16. The current points system rewards wins and the weighting’s for the points does not take in quality of opponents or class rankings. A team can win against a really weak schedule and make it to ten or twelve in the rankings.

Play against weak opponents and you get rewarded right now, so the NSAA hasn’t your playoff fate sealed when they send you your schedule. Teams that don’t play down with C2 teams are not rewarded.
I have already expressed my views on that. Beating a division 4 team is worth too many points, in my opinion, compared to losing to a division one team. It rewards weaker schedules. If you expand the field, you can keep the point system. If you want to keep the point system, expand the field to 24 and let the first round feature the 4-5 teams with the tougher schedule ,play the 5-4 or 6-3 teams that played an easier schedule. The top teams are rewarded with a bye week.

Reactions: hdendzonecam
If you don't want to expand the field, change the point system rewarding schedule difficulty, and don't be forced into taking weak district champs into the field of 16.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
NSAA only sets your district schedule play high qaulity non district schedule win games and you will be rewarded

NSAA has to approve your non district schedule they don't set it.
Your AD has to go find the non district games to play.

You only have 4 non district games you get 3 of the 4 win those games end of story. I give NPSP a ton of credit they could be eligible for 8-man yet they chose to play up. They will lose first round but, they played their schedule and made it to the playoffs.

You only have 4 non district games you get 3 of the 4 win those games end of story. I give NPSP a ton of credit they could be eligible for 8-man yet they chose to play up. They will lose first round but, they played their schedule and made it to the playoffs.
You can have 4 or 5 non district games, depending on number of teams in your district, you dont get them all, sometimes only one or two

I really don't care whether the NSAA sets your schedule or approves your schedule. Teams with a more challenging schedule should be rewarded for it, whether they chose it or had it handed to them. Right now, if you beat a good team, you will be rewarded with more points, if you lose to a good team you are penalized for challenging your squad, especially if you are already in a tough district. That just doesn't sit right with me.

I really don't care whether the NSAA sets your schedule or approves your schedule. Teams with a more challenging schedule should be rewarded for it, whether they chose it or had it handed to them. Right now, if you beat a good team, you will be rewarded with more points, if you lose to a good team you are penalized for challenging your squad, especially if you are already in a tough district. That just doesn't sit right with me.
I agree that the system should be different and I think a simple change of 39 for lossing to a one and 40 for beating a 4 would do the trick

Reactions: bruiser84

Not true. The NSAA does all the of the scheduling in football. Each school puts down teams on a wish list for non district games. I have heard from AD's that at most they get two or three of the teams they put down on the wish list on their non district schedule. I had one AD tell me that for this cycle they got two of the teams they put down on their wish list and he had no idea how they ended up with their other two non district games.

Reactions: cavalot and orafino
Biggest thing in the Lakeview snub I my opinion, ended up being the extra points Sidney was given for playing Scottsbluff.

Here is a quote from Stu in his article October 21st regarding this situation.
"f those teams missing the cut, Lakeview has the biggest beef. The last at-large team into the C-1 field was Sidney, which got a two-point bonus for being assigned Scottsbluff (a 53-3 win for the undefeated Bearcats) to ease scheduling issues in Class B. Take the bonus away, and Lakeview would have won a tiebreaker against the Red Raiders."

Here is a quote from Stu in his article October 21st regarding this situation.
"f those teams missing the cut, Lakeview has the biggest beef. The last at-large team into the C-1 field was Sidney, which got a two-point bonus for being assigned Scottsbluff (a 53-3 win for the undefeated Bearcats) to ease scheduling issues in Class B. Take the bonus away, and Lakeview would have won a tiebreaker against the Red Raiders."
and considering Sidney played two poor C2 teams also

One of lakeview's wins was against Fillmore Central that got beat by the second worst team in class C2. I'm not sure how good Lakeview is cuz I have not got to see them play a game but their resume is not real strong

I watched Lakeview play this year. They have a nice team, I wouldn't say a great team. I feel bad for those kids and families that feel as if the system is flawed and kept them out.

I just want to remind everyone what we are talking about here. We are talking about a team that just barely missed the opportunity to be the #16 seed and play 9-0 Aurora (or maybe Pierce) in a couple days. I understand that it is more than the butt kicking they would likely have taken. It is about the T-Shirts, the experience, the opportunity. I am fine with that.

I just don't want to get into a situation in which the "flaws" in the system start being blamed for causing the wrong Champion being crowned.

Reactions: nenebskers
I watched Lakeview play this year. They have a nice team, I wouldn't say a great team. I feel bad for those kids and families that feel as if the system is flawed and kept them out.

I just want to remind everyone what we are talking about here. We are talking about a team that just barely missed the opportunity to be the #16 seed and play 9-0 Aurora (or maybe Pierce) in a couple days. I understand that it is more than the butt kicking they would likely have taken. It is about the T-Shirts, the experience, the opportunity. I am fine with that.

I just don't want to get into a situation in which the "flaws" in the system start being blamed for causing the wrong Champion being crowned.
AGREE with that

You can request teams, but the NSAA sets the schedule, and you don't get all the teams you request. And as far as Lakeview goes, they would not have been the 16, they would have been a 13 or 14 seed. A 24 team bracket isn't hard to visualize. Reward the top 8 with a bye and let all those teams that get in prove their worth. OR do like the others have said and tweak the points to make a Division 1 loss 39 points, and taper it down from there. I think if its good enough for basketball, why not all levels of football? Fairness in competition doesn't change with the the shape of the ball or the size of the school. The Class D points system is not good, how can that be considered fair?

Last edited:
Ya, You are wrong.. I put in for 3 non-District teams each year (My AD sends them in) And we are lucky if you get 1 of the three you request. Most years it is 0. We drive through towns we should be playing to get to ones that are an hour away. So "Yes" the state selects the non-Dist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT