ADVERTISEMENT

2020-2021 Enrollments

Agreed, but wasn't sure if this was the case of Lyons-Decator declaring 11-man with the understanding they were still co-oping, but maybe Bancroft-Rosalie had other plans. IF this were the plan, why would they have not declared already? Waiting on a school board decision? Has the co-op been renewed and approved by the NSAA? As I said earlier, it probably doesn't mean anything. Didn't know if somebody knew something different

Last edited:
Not that it means anything, but also found it interesting that Lyons-Decator has declared 11-man, but Bancroft-Rosalie has not declared. Are they possibly not renewing the BRLD football co-op?

The BRLD co-op is still in place. If you look at the document and scroll to the far right of the school name you see the coop listed.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Heard Stuart will be dropping to 6 man. Board to vote at next meeting.

For whatever reason they are stubborn to cooping with West Holt 8 miles away on Hwy 20 in Atkinson. Would be a middle to upper half of C2.

If the Wood River/Shelton coop goes through any idea on if they will rename the coop or would they stay the Wood River/Shelton Eagles? I know the JH football teams that are cooped are the Bird Dogs but I find that hard to believe they would do that for varsity football.

Shelton voted in favor 6-0 last night at their board meeting.

No clue what will happen with mascot. Doubt it stays Eagles though

Talked to someone with connections at Winside, sounds like they are going to try to stick out at 8-man for the next cycle. They were turned down by Randolph for a coop, and supposedly talked to two other school districts about combining, but it appears they will stay where they are at for the next cycle.

If the Wood River/Shelton coop goes through any idea on if they will rename the coop or would they stay the Wood River/Shelton Eagles? I know the JH football teams that are cooped are the Bird Dogs but I find that hard to believe they would do that for varsity football.

Working on colors and mascots now. Should know by the end of next week.

Reactions: nenebskers
I'll go on record as saying this is a bad decision by Winside. They have 6-man participation numbers and are 6-man eligible. I sure hope their decision doesn't negatively affect teams in the next 2-year cycle with forfeits.

I agree. I am surprised they made it through this year without any forfeits. I don't know what their future numbers look like, but maybe they have a little bit of growth. Or they are kicking the can down the road for two years to see if Randolph wants to come back on board.

Not sure why they are averse to 6-man? Lack of teams in the area, perhaps.

I'd say that's a poor excuse to stay 8-man, continue not to play JV level games, and risk being able to play varsity games from week-to-week.

Give your kids a chance.

Looks like C2 could be very small.

Is the Wood River/Shelton Co-Op happening?

Anybody hear about decisions from:
NP St. Pat's
Hastings St. Cecilia
Doniphan-Trumbull
Johnson County Central
Conestoga
Stanton
Superior
Sandy Creek
Freeman
Gordon Rushville (Could be C1?)

Teams that were 8man, but could have C2 numbers:
Ainsworth
Ravenna
Palmyra
Lutheran High Northeast
Perkins County
Wakefield

C2 Dropping to 8-man:
Shelby-Rising City
Southern Valley

C2 teams bumping up to C1? -
St. Paul
North Bend?
Battle Creek?
Gibbon?
Gordon-Rushville? (Maybe 8-man?)

C1 teams close to dropping to C2?
Lincoln Lutheran?
Neumann?
Ord?
Fillmore Central?
Kearney Catholic?
Lincoln Christian?
Chase County?

C2 could be in the low to mid 30's pretty easily.
Doniphan-Trumbull will play 11 man

I'd say that's a poor excuse to stay 8-man, continue not to play JV level games, and risk being able to play varsity games from week-to-week.

Give your kids a chance.

Do 6-man teams in the state play JV games?

Any word on Ponca, Crofton, or Stanton? Thought Crofton might be able to be playoff eligible. The other two would likely be opt downs.

Winside going 6 man or cooping with Randolph? Thought they had talks previously?

The word is Randolph and Winside are both going 6 man

The word is Randolph and Winside are both going 6 man

Interesting. I had heard they were gonna try to stay at 8-man. Heard they had also reached out to LHNE about a coop, but nothing came of it.

And per the NSAA, Randolph has already declared for 8-man

Do 6-man teams in the state play JV games?
It is rare for 6-man to play JV games. Numbers and depth are already thin to razor thin. That is why they are playing 6-man. Usually see jv games as a result of an 8-man team forfeiting their schedule and asking 6-man schools to schedule them in a jv contest.

Wallace did that this season and I think they were able to pick up 5ish jv games.

Reactions: Alum-Ni
Lincoln Christian
Kearney Catholic
Wahoo Neumann
David City Aquinas
Fremont Bergan
Grand Island Central Catholic
Hartington Cedar Catholic
Norfolk Catholic
Lincoln Lutheran
Hastings St. Cecilia
North Platte St. Pat’s

Could all be in one class next year.

Undeclared teams that could be in C2 in 2020
1. Ainsworth undecided still
. Arcadia/Loup City declared 8-man

3. Conestoga undecided still
4. Freeman undecided still
5. Hastings St. Cecilia declared 11-man
6. Johnson County Central undecided still
7. LHNE undecided still
8. North Platte St. Pat’s undecided still
. Palmyra declared 8-man

10. Perkins County undecided still
11. Ponca undecided still
13. Sandy Creek declared 11-man
14. Stanton undecided still
15. Superior undecided still
16. Wakefield declared 8-man

NSAA has updated their declaration spreadsheet (which I have listed and updated on Page 2 of this thread). Recent additions are:

11-Man
Hastings St. Cecilia
Sandy Creek
Shelton/Wood River

8-Man
Leyton
Palmyra
Wakefield

6-Man
Meridian
St. Edward

Kind of an odd question here. What is the smallest town that has an 11 man team and largest town that has an 8 man team excluding towns that have multiple schools ala Falls City SH or O'Neil St Marys. The two that came to mind for me are Crofton with 726 and Kimball with 2,496. Those are their 2010 census populations. Are there others?

What made me think about it is was my playing days. I'm an old timer but back then 8 man schools were always in towns the size of a few hundred and smaller. Many of the 11 man schools, mostly C2, I remember are 8 man and even 6 man now.

Updated the list back on Page 2 after the NSAA updated its declarations list today.

Recent changes:

11-man
Gordon-Rushville (opting up to C2)

8-man
Exeter-Milligan/Friend
Heartland
Hitchcock County
Maxwell
Stanton
Winside

6-man
Deshler
Heartland Lutheran
Parkview Christian
Pawnee City
Red Cloud
Stuart

Kind of an odd question here. What is the smallest town that has an 11 man team and largest town that has an 8 man team excluding towns that have multiple schools ala Falls City SH or O'Neil St Marys. The two that came to mind for me are Crofton with 726 and Kimball with 2,496. Those are their 2010 census populations. Are there others?

What made me think about it is was my playing days. I'm an old timer but back then 8 man schools were always in towns the size of a few hundred and smaller. Many of the 11 man schools, mostly C2, I remember are 8 man and even 6 man now.
Dundy County based in Benkelman has a population around 950.

Perkins County based in Grant us over 1,150.

For 6 man, Crawford has over 900 people.

Last edited:
This opt down thing from B to C1 or C1 to C2 is ridiculous.

If their number warrants a bigger class. Shouldn’t a team that is being forced to play them be awarded extra points?

it’s bad enough that the C1 gap was awful when this was created 2 years ago. But what if a school of 70 has to play Schuyler? Thats absolutely not right.

Hail victors has touched on this before. I’d like to hear his thoughts again

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT