ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting in the Shotgun

wsc-oline

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2014
As far as I know, the rule book states that you can cut block if you are in the shotgun if you are in a 3 point stance and at the onset of the play. Why is it so widely believed by officials that if you shotgun snap you cannot cut block? They eliminated clipping in the tackle box this year, did I miss this rule? We carry a copy of the page in the rulebook laminated with us to games to protect us if officials who say we cannot cut.....

You can't cut if you are in the gun. Period. The rule that applies here is 2-17-4. It reads "The free-blocking zone disintegrates and the exception for a player to block below the waist and/or the exception for an offensive linemen to block in the back is not to continue after the ball has left the zone".

The only ways it would be legal to cut while in the gun are as follows:
1- If your QB is within 3 yards of the center (free blocking zone is 4 yards wide of center and 3 yards deep of center each way). If he is deeper than 3 yards the ball is leaving the free blocking zone, which then disintegrates it.

2- if your linemen are Usain Bolt and can cut block in the milliseconds it takes for the ball to leave the free blocking zone via shotgun snap.

3- your center snaps the ball at an incredibly slow speed.

Throw away your laminated rule sheet, you are wrong.

Not trying to strike any nerves here, just a conversation.
Very next page it goes onto say it is impossible for a linemen in a two point stance to cut, then "for linemen in a three or four point stance they must block their opponents immediately after the snap for a low block to be legal in this situation" it says in the rule book how it CAN be legal. Your saying there is no way a linemen can anticipate the snap and cut right away? Plus why is there any advantage to cutting when the ball is shotgun snapped? Is it time to look at the rule again with so many teams using the shotgun now?

Now that is from 2015 rulebook and 2016 has much less about it, does not address the shotgun snap at all. I believe that if the snap in anticipated it can occur while ball is in the free blocking zone.

I have always thought that cut blocking should be allowed FOR player safety. I don't understand why a 150 pound RB has to try to take a blitzing LB up high. That promotes head injuries IMO which is the heaviest emphasis right now in football. Every other level of football allows cut blocking so I've never understand why high school is different.

Love the guy that says "throw away your laminated rule sheet, you are wrong." Will be attempting this with a cop when he tells me I was speeding and asks if I saw the speed limit sign. "Throw away your metal printed speed limit sign officer, you are wrong!"

Last edited:
I see high school teams do this frequently to negate/slow down a bigger stronger defensive line. Seldom is it called. And I have seen teams do it from under center and shotgun. Are the officials negligent in not calling this a penalty or is it not a penalty?

I see high school teams do this frequently to negate/slow down a bigger stronger defensive line. Seldom is it called. And I have seen teams do it from under center and shotgun. Are the officials negligent in not calling this a penalty or is it not a penalty?
My question exactly..... wish there would be clear language in the rulebook that says if you are in the shotgun you ..... instead of determining if the ball is out of the free block zone when the block occurs

You can't cut if you are in the gun. Period. The rule that applies here is 2-17-4. It reads "The free-blocking zone disintegrates and the exception for a player to block below the waist and/or the exception for an offensive linemen to block in the back is not to continue after the ball has left the zone".

^^^ This is correct.

Coaches will usually see this act on film and, discuss the rule with the officials before the game. This way they can get the interpretation from the officials before it is an issue.

Shotgun probably isn't the best terminology. I would concentrate more on where the ball is intended to go (In or Out of the FBZ).

It might be illegal, but it happens all the time. Similar to offensive linemen being 5-8 yards down field on run pass option plays.

Coaches received an email with rules clarifications today. The following was included:

Q – If the offense is in a “shotgun” / “pistol” formation, can an offensive lineman block a defensive player below the waist (“cut”)?

A – Yes… The action must be simultaneous with the snap and the defensive player must be in the free blocking zone and on the

line of scrimmage at the snap. If the offensive lineman sets, pulls or hesitates before blocking below the waist, the contact is illegal.

I interpret this to say "yes, it is legal, but it is impossible to achieve because nothing happens simultaneous with the snap". Really it is creating a gray area, meaning it is up to the refs whether they want to call it like they should (meaning it is a penalty) or not call it and say that the offensive linemen's actions were 100% simultaneous with the snap of the ball.

I have asked different crews about this and the best answer that I have been given is as follows.

"The cut has to happen before the QB catches the ball in a normal shotgun formation. If the QB is lined up in a deep shotgun it is up to the officials discretion where the ball is compared to when the cut takes place. If the QB is lined up in the FBZ anything goes."

@hailvictors2 you are correct with the gray area.. It may even be more of a charcoal color than gray.
@runningback43 is also correct with the lack of enforcement.

The cut block is a good tool to have in the shed. If the cut is used in excess it tells me that proper technique hasn't been a priority during player development... just my opinion

I believe Neuhaus sent out an email that says if the cut in a shotgun formation happens immediately with the snap the cut is ok. But if the oline waits at all the cut is illegal.

LOL at the person that says "I interpret this as it is legal but impossible." The next few hours I will be looking thru the rule book on what the NSAAs stance is on taking flying DeLoreans as transportation to games, using unicorns as defensive linemen, and teleportation as a means to run the ball. All i'm sure deemed "legal but impossible" in the NSAAs eyes, yet rules still written on them.

I truly hope that our high school kids don't have coaches coaching them that think the NSAA spends time writing rules on things that are impossible to do. If so they should transfer immediately.

Show me a clip where a high school offensive linemen cuts a player at the exact time the snap occurs. It is literally impossible. Take your unicorns and DeLoreons and go back to your moms basement where you belong. Troll

Show me a clip where a high school offensive linemen cuts a player at the exact time the snap occurs. It is literally impossible. Take your unicorns and DeLoreons and go back to your moms basement where you belong. Troll
You are trying to convince someone that the NSAA made a rule on something that is "impossible." You are better than this. The email states this:

Q - If the offense is in a shotgun or pistol formation, can the offensive lineman cut the opponent?

The very first word after the question is "yes." It doesn't have an asterisk next to the "yes" answer after the explanation that says "of course, in the physical universe we occupy, we all know this is impossible. So forget the 200 or so words we just typed for no reason and revert back to 'no, it is illegal' unless we are playing on a neutral site such as Pluto."

It basically just tells you first movement needs to be cutting the player across from them, and it can't be someone outside the zone or off the LOS.

Do better, for your players and teams sake. Don't interpret the rules based on what you think it should be, or what is beneficial for your team. So far you have told me in this thread to "throw away the rule book" and to ignore an email directly from the rule makers. I need you to think about that last sentence I typed before you respond again.

Again.....show me a clip of a high school football game where a cut block occurs at the EXACT time as the snap. Show me that I will say it is possible. Until then, stay in your mommy's basement, like I said before.

For the record, the email was from Nate Neuhaus, not "the rule maker". Since Beardedwhale is obviously confused, Nate Nuehaus has absolutely nothing to do with the NFHS or the rule making process.

Last edited:
Again.....show me a clip of a high school football game where a cut block occurs at the EXACT time as the snap. Show me that I will say it is possible. Until then, stay in your mommy's basement, like I said before.

For the record, the email was from Nate Neuhaus, not "the rule maker". Since Beardedwhale is obviously confused, Nate Nuehaus has absolutely nothing to do with the NFHS or the rule making process.

Page #4 of my 2016 NFHS Football Rules Book would disagree with your 2nd paragraph.

I am a football official. You are allowed to block below the waist in ANY formation by the offense(and your stance is irrelevant)...IF the following exists:

1. Both players are in the free blocking zone at the snap.
2. The action is immediate (you cannot delay the block)

The NSAA sent an email this week clarifying this rule.

Reactions: wsc-oline
Yes, research clarified this. I did not see the email from NSAA...but I was told by a coach and an official that you can indeed cut block, but you must do it immediately. In other words, you can not take a step back as if pass blocking and then cut block. Must be done right away upon snap of the ball. Interesting discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT