ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest 8-Man players of all time

Nov 14, 2022
This topic started being discussed on a different thread and it got me curious who everyone thinks is the GOAT in Nebraska 8-Man football! Happy discussing

I will kick just a few names out in contention.
Drew Ott
Aiden Kuester
Travis Mlady
Dean Steinkuler
Nathan Bazata
Jake Findley? Not GOAT but GOAT single season QB for Giltner?

Nate Most from Giltner also had a stellar career as a QB. Clint Belina from Howells was a hell of a RB. Eikmeier is at the top of the list.

Reactions: CenterPanthers57
I’ll add a few that I seen in person as a young kid. Tom Veik from Humphrey and Jeff Makovicka from East Butler.

As far as Clint Eikmeir goes, we were the only team to hold him under a 100 yards his senior year….. I think he had 4 rushes for 99 yards and 4 touchdowns. 🤣.

Steven Dent-Mullen, second all time in career rushing. Played in 2 state championships, still holds the playoff rushing records I think. And a pretty big name in the rodeo world.

Austin Kaczor- Ewing. Probably a better basketball player than football but in his own right a freak athlete. Over 2000 points in his basketball career and over 3000 receiving yards in his football career. Was basically Carter Nelson without all the media hype

Great idea for a thread

Matt Ickes-really great option QB at Orchard
John Howell (Mullen)-went to Colorado St/played in two Super Bowls with Bucs and Seahawks
Drew Ott-should have been a Husker
Dean Stienkuler-Probably at the top of the list of greatest 8 man players
Howells and Dodge guys-just too damn many to list
Steven Dent-as good on D as he was running the ball. State champ wrestler. Many time NFR qualifier
Casey Beran-anyone remember this guy from Sargent in the mid 90's. He was a stud!
Casey Hughes-NL-Scotia. Probably not on a lot of lists but was good enough to walk on for NU at RB
Terry Connealy-enough said
Makovica's/Legate
Steve Kreiwald-I believe if he had played under the Osborne/Solich offense he would be in the same sentence as the great NU fullbacks. Unbelievably strong and a good runner. Honestly the Cross County kid reminds me of what Kriewald was in HS.
Dane Pokorny-another guy that won't make any of the lists but if you saw him play I think you'd agree he would hold up on this list. One of the most physical guys I've ever seen. Just plain nasty on D and ran the ball the same way. Could have probably been a 5000 career rusher if used at I back instead of FB. Had D1 ability but chose the rodeo path.
Aiden Kuester-he's on there now too

Last edited:
Ben Eisenhart-Culbertson. 2,300 yards rushing as a senior I think over 4,000 for his career. 22 INTs. Went on to play and start at safety for Nebraska. State records at the time for rushing yards in a playoff game and TDs in a playoff game. 3x long jump champ, 2x All Class gold. Dude has to be on this list.

A name to throw out - probably not TOP TOP but worth mentioning.

Carter Seim - Cross County (not including freshmen year, as didn't play much)

Soph 2019
150 carries / 1293 yards / 11.4 per carry / 142 per game / 19 TDs

Jr 2020
146 carries / 2114 yards / 14.5 per carry / 192 per game / 38 TDs
**Split carries with Isaac Noyd who also surpassed 2000 yards rushing**

Sr 2021
167 carries / 1874 yards / 11.2 per carry / 208 per game / 37 TDs

3 Year Total
463 carries / 5,281 yards / 11.4 per carry / 142 per game / 94 TDs

Ben Eisenhart-Culbertson. 2,300 yards rushing as a senior I think over 4,000 for his career. 22 INTs. Went on to play and start at safety for Nebraska. State records at the time for rushing yards in a playoff game and TDs in a playoff game. 3x long jump champ, 2x All Class gold. Dude has to be on this list.
Agree 100%

Wade and Lane Edis. Father/Son Combo. Over 10k rushing yards and probably close to 200 TD's between them. Pretty impressive. I think the Van Housen's might have been a pretty similar story too

Reactions: Loper90
You could go on and on with this list!
I'm glad someone mentioned Ickes from Orchard. You got the Legates, Shanles, Makovicas, Eikmeirs, Dents, etc.
Connot from Spencer-Naper? NFL
Brett Kaczor from Ewing?
Greg Jorgensen from Ewing?
Taylor Dixon from Wa-Pa?
Belina Howells---i think had two years at 11 man though
Bayer?? Howells
Either of the Zimmerers from Creighton really
Broders from Bloomfield??
Most and Ott from Giltner??
Thorell from Loomis??
Bender from Lindsay holy family?? NFL
Erb from Wakefield??
Pohlman from Stanton??

Maybe not all of these players crack the top 50 but sheesh 8 man football in Nebraska has produced some big time players throughout the years.

Reactions: Power_I_82
Lots of great names thrown out there. I'm sure if I thought a bit I could add more, but personally just wanted to say it'd be pretty cool to see Bob or someone put together an 8 and 11 man all time list some offseason.

You could go on and on with this list!
I'm glad someone mentioned Ickes from Orchard. You got the Legates, Shanles, Makovicas, Eikmeirs, Dents, etc.
Connot from Spencer-Naper? NFL
Brett Kaczor from Ewing?
Greg Jorgensen from Ewing?
Taylor Dixon from Wa-Pa?
Belina Howells---i think had two years at 11 man though
Bayer?? Howells
Either of the Zimmerers from Creighton really
Broders from Bloomfield??
Most and Ott from Giltner??
Thorell from Loomis??
Bender from Lindsay holy family?? NFL
Erb from Wakefield??
Pohlman from Stanton??

Maybe not all of these players crack the top 50 but sheesh 8 man football in Nebraska has produced some big time players throughout the years.
Tyler Legate never played 8-man football.

Both Billy Legate (Clearwater, 8 man) and Tyler Legate (Neigh/Oakdale, 11 man) were great players and both played for the Huskers. Billy, along with Chris Greer, some Bollings etc. played on a 1993 state runner-up team. Tyler Legate played on a Neigh/Oakdale playoff team in about 2005. They lost to a really good Creighton team but he was unquestionably a great player and his Nebraska career further validates that. I think Billy and Tyler are cousins but am not positive. Thanks for bringing up the the names of these standouts.

Brett Kaczor (Ewing) went on to play at Nebraska Wesleyan and was an assistant coach on O'Neill's state title team in 2016. He now coaches Summerland High School. Scott Connot of Spencer/Naper went on to play at South Dakota State, played pre-season with the Chiefs and played in NFL Europe.

Randall Jobman of Oskkosh and Mark Daum of Dix were two really good players from the 80's and I believe both played 8 man.

Another great 8 man player was Derrie Nelson of Farimont. He went on to be an All American defensive end at Nebraska in 1980 and was later a solid player for the the Chargers.

I wondered about that too but found several articles that said he had played 8 man football in high school. Sorry about the mistake.

Is there a chance that Fairmont switched from 8 to 11 while Nelson was in high school? I found a 1973 Fairmont schedule that had them listed as 8 man.

Blake Miller from Lourdes in Nebraska City...
If he didn't get injured in the first quarter vs. Cross County in 2021 (he kept playing BTW) they likely would have won and beaten Hitchcock County in the Semis... Played for the title vs. Howells-Dodge. A healthly Blake Miller is worth 7 points - IMO

There was a Wragge from Bloomfield not sure 11 man or 8 man.
One Wragge from Bloomfield was Tony Wragge who was an All-state lineman for the Bees in the mid 90's. They were still C-2, 11 man then but for sure a great player. Went on to New Mexico State and then to the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT