ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest 8-Man players of all time

Someone mentioned Casey Beran of Sargent in an earlier post. He went on to play on some really good Chadron State teams in the late 90s and is in the CSC Hall of Fame. Jed and Guy Fenske and Tyke Kozeal were other great Sargent players. All were on the same team that won a state title.

Reactions: TC53
Blake Miller from Lourdes in Nebraska City...
If he didn't get injured in the first quarter vs. Cross County in 2021 (he kept playing BTW) they likely would have won and beaten Hitchcock County in the Semis... Played for the title vs. Howells-Dodge. A healthly Blake Miller is worth 7 points - IMO
it’s the quarter finals and everyone is probably dinged up on both teams at that point in the year. I’m sure guys on both teams played with injuries. That’s also like saying if CC RB in the finals was healthy they beat Howells.

Larry Frost Malcolm
Larry Vlasin Madrid

These two from 1964 probably belong in the conversation.

Reactions: Power_I_82
Fairmont was 8-man before and after Derrie Nelson, but he was all-state D-11 as a junior and senior.

Fairmont was 8-man before and after Derrie Nelson, but he was all-state D-11 as a junior and senior.
Thanks for the information. It looks like Fairmont went to 11 man in the fall of 74 which I believe was Derrie Nelson's junior year. I don't remember him in high school but remember well as a really good defensive end at Nebraska.

Reactions: viewfromthebooth
Blake Miller from Lourdes in Nebraska City...
If he didn't get injured in the first quarter vs. Cross County in 2021 (he kept playing BTW) they likely would have won and beaten Hitchcock County in the Semis... Played for the title vs. Howells-Dodge. A healthly Blake Miller is worth 7 points - IMO
I agree Blake would of lead lourdes to a d-1 championship

This thread was started in part because many posters here hates the fact that I called Carter Nelson the greatest 8 man player in Nebraska football history. i will concede its fair to consider State championships before making those claims. However, I will continue to beat the drum for Nelson.

Tonight, the borderline 5-Star football player had 4 TDs in the 1st quarter on 5 touches and came away with one of the most incredible defensive plays I've ever seen at this level. Trailing 36-0, Kenesaw had a good play call, running a well timed counter after Ainsworth's fast defense was just over pursuing everything. The ball carrier, Adam Denkert who is the younger brother of an 8-man legend who ran for 2600 yards a few years ago and is now the starting tailback at Midland, cleared the 20, 35, and midfield, Nelson was 10 yards behind him as he crossed midlfield.

But Nelson got on his freaking horse, and caught up with him at 7 yard line. While tackling the kid, Nelson uppercutted the football, knocking it out of his hands at the 2 yard line. This was a literal punch, while sprinting and taking him down from behind. It was recovered by another Ainsworth defender, at the 2 yard line.

Going into tonight's game, Ainsworth's varsity had still only allowed 1 touchdown all season. That play kept that incredible string in play. There is no other player in Nebraska 8 man football who could've made that play.

I will add that highlight tomorrow after finding it and doing some editing. It was incredible.

Mock me all you want. But he is literally the greatest.

Last edited:
This thread was started in part because many posters here hates the fact that I called Carter Nelson the greatest 8 man player in Nebraska football history. i will concede its fair to consider State championships before making those claims. However, I will continue to beat the drum for Nelson.

Tonight, the borderline 5-Star football player had 4 TDs in the 1st quarter on 5 touches and came away with one of the most incredible defensive plays I've ever seen at this level. Trailing 34-0, Kenesaw had an incredible play call, running a well timed counter after Ainsworth's fast defense was just over pursuing everything. The ball carrier, Adam Denkert who is the younger brother of an 8-man legend who ran for 2600 yards a few years ago and is now the starting tailback at Midland, cleared the 20, 35, and midfield, Nelson was 30 yards behind him as he crossed midlfield.

But Nelson got on his freaking horse, and caught up with him at 7 yard line. While tackling the kid, Nelson uppercutted the football, knocking it out of his hands at the 2 yard line. This was a literal punch, while sprinting and taking him down from behind. It was recovered by another Ainsworth defender, at the 2 yard line.

Going into tonight's game, Ainsworth's varsity had still only allowed 1 touchdown all season. That play kept that incredible string in play. There is no other player in Nebraska 8 man football who could've made that play.

I will add that highlight tomorrow after finding it and doing some editing. It was incredible.

Buddy. At no point during that play was he more than 5 yards behind him. He ran a long ways and it was a great hustle play tho.

Nate Most from Giltner also had a stellar career as a QB. Clint Belina from Howells was a hell of a RB. Eikmeier is at the top of the list.

Cory Eikmeier:

8,336 career rushing yards - 1st in the Nation
41 - 100 Yard games -1st in the Nation
1013 Career Points - 2nd in Nation
155 Career Rushing Touchdowns - 1st in Nation
67 Rushing Touchdowns in a Season - 1st in Nation
43 Rushing Touchdowns in a Season - tied for 3rd in Nation
567 Rushing Yards - 5th in Nation
2,971 Rushing Yards in a Season - 4th in Nation

Hand full of other statistics that show up in the top 15 all time in the nation.

Cory Eikmeier:

Hand full of other statistics that show up in the top 15 all time in the nation.

This is who I brought up initially. He has a case for greatest Nebraska High School football player of all time. up there with Gayle Sayers, Eric Crouch, and Steinkuhler.

Tonight, the borderline 5-Star football player had 4 TDs in the 1st quarter on 5 touches and came away with one of the most incredible defensive plays I've ever seen at this level. Trailing 36-0, Kenesaw had a good play call, running a well timed counter after Ainsworth's fast defense was just over pursuing everything. The ball carrier, Adam Denkert who is the younger brother of an 8-man legend who ran for 2600 yards a few years ago and is now the starting tailback at Midland, cleared the 20, 35, and midfield, Nelson was 10 yards behind him as he crossed midlfield.

Ok, so you are all in on Carter Nelson. I get it. There are 2 ways to look at this.

1. He has High School 8 Man Statistics that are better than the many players that have been listed here. If that is the direction you are going, by all means share his statistics.

2. He goes on to have a great College Career or NFL Career. You are way early on this one.

Share his statistics.

Ok, so you are all in on Carter Nelson. I get it. There are 2 ways to look at this.

1. He has High School 8 Man Statistics that are better than the many players that have been listed here. If that is the direction you are going, by all means share his statistics.

2. He goes on to have a great College Career or NFL Career. You are way early on this one.

Share his statistics.

Doesn't matter. I think a lot of the other posters are correct about State titles.

I've relented on that fact.

Doesn't matter. I think a lot of the other posters are correct about State titles.

Cory Eikmeier:

Nothing in here about State Titles. Share ANY stats to support your passionate viewpoint. Anything? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm simply saying that the above guy deserves at least some consideration before someone else can simply be crowned "Best".

First of all people saying Carter isn’t the 8 man GOAT is NOT why I started this thread. More so to talk about the people who have dominated and put up ridiculous statistics. On the original thread I gave credit to Carter for his efficiency not his career stats. That defensive play being talked about was the most effort I’ve seen him put in defensively in his career. I truly hope a switch has been flipped and he plays that way for an entire game instead of taking defensive reps off like he has. In terms of the “10” other future college football players on that team, there are probably 3 at best. I understand being from Ainsworth when you get a good thing you gotta pump it up but EVERYONE looks like a college athlete vs some of the teams they played this season. Do I think HD shuts them down completely? No. But based on what I’ve seen from the Ainsworth game plans and schemes I fully believe HD can limit them like they Havnt been limited since last postseason. And yes it’s quite clear you’re a part of that coaching staff. Thank you for turning what is a really fun thread into precisely what no one wants to read.

Can't believe the "greatest Nebraska 8 man player" and his "10 future college football teammates" couldn't get out of the 2nd round in back to back years and by a two loss Howells team.
Ok that was unnecessary. Is the kid a special talent? Yes. Is he the greatest 8 man player of all time? Very debatable as it’s been mentioned already. Would I love to see him sign with Nebraska and have a successful career here? Absolutely!

Ok that was unnecessary. Is the kid a special talent? Yes. Is he the greatest 8 man player of all time? Very debatable as it’s been mentioned already. Would I love to see him sign with Nebraska and have a successful career here? Absolutely!
I hope he has a amazing career for Nebraska! I have no problem with the kid at all, just having a little fun with what was said on here.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I have never seen Carter play. Interested in why you have reservations about his college future?
Think about that most amazing play ever. The biggest reason the slow kid got run down is that the Ainsworth player got blocked out of the way to create the seam. I also didn't care for his effort, demeanor, etc at the end of hoops last year...

I have never seen Carter play. Interested in why you have reservations about his college future?h
I have never seen Carter play. Interested in why you have reservations about his col

I have never seen Carter play. Interested in why you have reservations about his college future?
He’s a freak athlete has most all the tools. But from what I’ve seen he lacks the most important tools.. which in my attitude…grit…determination… the will to win at no cost

He’s a freak athlete has most all the tools. But from what I’ve seen he lacks the most important tools.. which in my attitude…grit…determination… the will to win at no cost
wish him the best but lets be honest he is far from one of the greatest 8-man players ever, I know this is a dumb fan or parent talking about him, so I will just leave it at that

Nelson has his arm in a sling today at the husker game. Wish him well and hope all is ok. That being said last night Howells Dodge had a sophomore covering him, man to man half the time and he held his own. This same sophomore for H-D carried the ball for 290 yds. Great players take over in big situations. Carter kind of blended in last night

Nelson has his arm in a sling today at the husker game. Wish him well and hope all is ok. That being said last night Howells Dodge had a sophomore covering him, man to man half the time and he held his own. This same sophomore for H-D carried the ball for 290 yds. Great players take over in big situations. Carter kind of blended in last night
Heard the same thing from last night. Effort seemed to be the common theme with a couple of guys I talked to. They were amazed at how little effort he put out on defense when he was actually getting blocked for a change. Hopefully we can put this to rest and all agree that in fact he is an all state player from the early 2020's, but not on the list of all time great 8 man plays.

I would quit raging on the kid. He high jumped 7’ he’s 6’4 220 and he is the only weapon on his team. Ainsworth has not been a very good team for a long time. I would love to see what he can do in Lincoln.

I would quit raging on the kid. He high jumped 7’ he’s 6’4 220 and he is the only weapon on his team. Ainsworth has not been a very good team for a long time. I would love to see what he can do in Lincoln.
I am not raging on the kid. Just stating my observations. And I hope he comes to Lincoln and helps us win games!!. But to say he is the only weapon on the team is super disrespectful to the team. That is my biggest beef. When they were beating teams by 60 points all we heard was ainsworth has multiple other kids that deserve looks at the college level. Then they lose and now the rest of the team is nothing. Watching the game last night they had the top 3 athletically gifted kids on the field. If anything their downfall was coaching and how they used their athletes and not playing a tougher schedule.

Ya that offense was tough to watch last night, direct snap to Nelson with an unblocked player hitting him at the line or a jump ball to Nelson. Tough to beat the best coach in 8 man football with that even if Nelson is the best player in 8 man football this year.

Any idea what the record is for playoff carrys in a game?

Ya that offense was tough to watch last night, direct snap to Nelson with an unblocked player hitting him at the line or a jump ball to Nelson. Tough to beat the best coach in 8 man football with that even if Nelson is the best player in 8 man football this year.

Any idea what the record is for playoff carrys in a game?
45-55. Kasik from Clarkson-Leigh last year had 45ish, Dankert from Kenesaw had 50+ a couple years ago.

Last edited:
And this is why

45-55. Kasik from Clarkson-Leigh last year had 45ish, Dankert from Kenesaw had 50+ a couple years ago.
I'm not sure what the record is but Bryce Zimmerer of Creighton had 54 carries in the D-1 championship game vs. Burwell in 2018.

I’ll add a few that I seen in person as a young kid. Tom Veik from Humphrey and Jeff Makovicka from East Butler.

As far as Clint Eikmeir goes, we were the only team to hold him under a 100 yards his senior year….. I think he had 4 rushes for 99 yards and 4 touchdowns. 🤣 .
I’ll add a few that I seen in person as a young kid. Tom Veik from Humphrey and Jeff Makovicka from East Butler.

As far as Clint Eikmeir goes, we were the only team to hold him under a 100 yards his senior year….. I think he had 4 rushes for 99 yards and 4 touchdowns. 🤣.
It was Cory… not Clint. And you never even played football at Humphrey so don’t act like you’re part of an accomplishment. Pretty pathetic in fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT