ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska HS Mascot thread

Wilsonville Wildcats
Holbrook Hornets
Beaver city Bearcats
Bartley bombers
Twin valley rebels co-opted sports with beaver valley starting in 93.
Southwest Thunder was Stratton and Trenton in the mid 90's
Beaver Valley Panthers
Venango Panther?
Orleans Orioles
Stratton Bulldogs
Culbertson Bears

I know Elkhorn North will be the wolves. But surely one of the new OPS high schools will be the Polar Bears or Skunks, right? I mean we already have the Benson Bunnies.
Omaha North used Polar Bears in every possible including Pep Clubs and publications for 45 years. Mascot of course Vikings since completion in 1926.

Reactions: TC53
Reactions: northeastNebraska
The old Minuteman conference.
Lodgepole Panthers
St. Pat's Irish
Gurley Pirates?
Dalton
Potter
Dix
Lyman Wildcats
Harrisburg
Mitchell Sunflower
Melbeta

Gurley Pirates
Dalton Tigers
Potter Coyotes
Harrisburg Wildcats (name changed from Harrisburg to Banner County High School in 1955)
Melbeta Eagles

I actually attended a football game in Lyman once. They were playing the Chappell Buffaloes. Chappell won!

I can add a few updates. In Lancaster county the Panama Tigers were Black and Orange. Bennet should be green as they consolidated with Palmyra and the K-6 is still in Bennet. In Gage County I believe Courtland was the Cougars.

This thread continues to amaze. Came back looking for guidance on Obert-Maskell and found everything I needed to make sense of that consolidation. When I first read it, I didn't even know where those towns were. Now, working on Dixon County episode, it had what I needed. Wanted to bump it up again while I was appreciating the crowd-sourced wonder of the info here. Thanks to all.

What an awesome piece of history! Thanks for working on it--it's incredible!

I have a couple of updates you may want: (maybe you don't want these co-ops, just consolidations, but here they are anyway....)

Newman Grove--now coops with Boone Central
Shelby--coops with Rising City
In Custer County--are Arnold and Callaway consolidated? Is that South Loup?
Frontier County--Curtis. The "Ag School" did close in 1968 and was replaced as Medicine Valley School. Nicknamed "Raiders" and red, white, and blue. They used to have the old "Yosemite Sam" as their mascot, don't know if they still do.

Maywood and Hayes Center have been co-oping for a few years now. Still don't understand why Maywood would not go with Curtis....
McPherson County--Tryon still has a school, but it's called McPherson County

Again, great job! I love checking in with this "history lesson." Keep up the great work.

Hoskins competed in basketball in the 1951 Wayne district. They won two games beating Wynot and Norfolk Sacred Heart before losing to the Dixon Fighting Irish. Still nothing on colors or nickname. It's possible they were one of those schools that only went to 9-10 grade in high school. Several of those competed in districts in 1951-5.

My Dad coached the Glenvil Bulldogs. He said Fairfield was the Tigers.
Can you please add to Richardson county
Stella-- Tigers--black --orange
Shubert --Cougars
Nemaha -- Indians green and gold
Then Consolidates in 1960 to
Southeast Consolidated blue and white mustangs located in Stella nebraska
also Dawson Verdon went to gether and formed DV jets

Last edited:
two in Otoe county I dont know, does anyone else
Burr and Lorton
I know Cook, Burr, Lorton and Talmage consolidated schools to form Nemaha Valley school district and then in 2007 Nemaha Valley and Tecumseh Consolidated to form Johnson County Central school district

Guide Rock Warriors Red White Closed ???
Fairfield Eagles Blue Gold Closed 1967
Glenvil Bulldogs Red White Closed 1967

That's what I have.

Emerson Sacred Heart closed 1971
No idea on nickname or colors? Anyone?

Hoskins competed in basketball in the 1951 Wayne district. They won two games beating Wynot and Norfolk Sacred Heart before losing to the Dixon Fighting Irish. Still nothing on colors or nickname. It's possible they were one of those schools that only went to 9-10 grade in high school. Several of those competed in districts in 1951-5.
When did Dixon close?

I’m going through my spreadsheet now, a few questions I have:

-When did Emerson and Hubbard consolidate?

-When did Bancroft and Rosalie consolidate?

-Does anyone have colors or a mascot for Nickerson High? (Closed in 1969)

-Did Rogers (Between North Bend and Schuyler) ever have a school?

-When did Martinsburg and Waterbury close? And their colors?

-When did Randolph St. Francis, Obert, Belden, Maskell and Center close?

I’m going through my spreadsheet now, a few questions I have:

-When did Emerson and Hubbard consolidate?

-When did Bancroft and Rosalie consolidate?

-Does anyone have colors or a mascot for Nickerson High? (Closed in 1969)

-Did Rogers (Between North Bend and Schuyler) ever have a school?

-When did Martinsburg and Waterbury close? And their colors?

-When did Randolph St. Francis, Obert, Belden, Maskell and Center close?

I'll do some looking through a book that I have access to and see what I can find for you.

Emerson-Hubbard consolidated in 1961

Bancroft-Rosalie consolidated in 1982

Nickerson High School: Blue and White. Interesting thing I found about this school was that students could participate in intramural athletics, but were unable to participate in interscholastic competition due to lack of numbers.

Rogers had a school. It went up to the 10th grade in the early part of the 20th century.

Martinsburg dropped the upper grades in 1954.

Waterbury closed in 1961

Randolph St. Francis closed in 1970

Obert and Maskell merged in 1954 and the school was known as Kelbert. Kelbert was open from 1954-1969.

Belden closed in 1966

Center closed in 1963

Emerson-Hubbard consolidated in 1961

Bancroft-Rosalie consolidated in 1982

Nickerson High School: Blue and White. Interesting thing I found about this school was that students could participate in intramural athletics, but were unable to participate in interscholastic competition due to lack of numbers.

Rogers had a school. It went up to the 10th grade in the early part of the 20th century.

Martinsburg dropped the upper grades in 1954.

Waterbury closed in 1961

Randolph St. Francis closed in 1970

Obert and Maskell merged in 1954 and the school was known as Kelbert. Kelbert was open from 1954-1969.

Belden closed in 1966

Center closed in 1963
Thank you for the research! Interesting that Waterbury held on as long as they did. Assuming when Martisnburg closed, those kids went to Allen or Ponca.

Panama Panthers Black Orange Closed 1964
Dixon Fighting Irish Green Gray Closed 1958

Anyone know anything about High Prairie school near Clarks? I know they played state basketball in 1928 and were still graduating kids in 1932.

What about schools that closed to form Columbus Lakeview? Platte Center? Who else?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT