ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska HS Mascot thread

Anyone know anything about High Prairie school near Clarks? I know they played state basketball in 1928 and were still graduating kids in 1932.

What about schools that closed to form Columbus Lakeview? Platte Center? Who else?
Really the only school/town that formed Lakeview was Platte Center I believe. People started moving to the north of Columbus in the 70's to help build Lakeview. Monroe is technically a part of Twin River. Creston kids go to Leigh or Humphrey or HSF.

Reactions: TC53
As I move into my southeast portion of my spreadsheet, a few more questions. (This is the area I am least familiar with in Nebraska.)

-Was their a high school in the following towns, Morse Bluff/Staplehurst/Beaver Crossing/Crab Orchard?

-Murdock Bulldogs colors and when did they consolidate with Elmwood?
-When did Firth merge into Norris?

-Was Roca the Ramblers or Rockets?

-What years did the following schools close, Seward Concordia High close (Colors?), Cortland, Liberty, Wymore, Virginia, Cook, Talmage, Strang, Ohiowa, Rulo?

-When did Henderson and Bradshaw consolidate to form Heartland?

-Is Shickley still by alone? Or are they consolidated? All of Fillmore County for me is a mess.

-Nemaha is apart of Conestoga?

-Is Chester-Hubbell-Byron still a school? Or where do those kids go?

-When did Diller-Odell consolidate?

Northeast, I'll get that book back out of the school library and see what I can find on those schools in the southeast.
Thanks. That’s interesting there is a book.

I’m compiling a large speed sheet, sorted by region. Northeast, southeast, east central, west central and the panhandle.

Thank you for the research! Interesting that Waterbury held on as long as they did. Assuming when Martisnburg closed, those kids went to Allen or Ponca.

Martinsburg kids likely went there and possibly even to Newcastle. With no school lunch program Bob started selling cheap beer, monster burgers, and fries overflowing off the plate.

Martinsburg kids likely went there and possibly even to Newcastle. With no school lunch program Bob started selling cheap beer, monster burgers, and fries overflowing off the plate.
And chicken gizzards, onion rings, and cheese balls. All under a glorious painted brown tile ceiling and a sink stationed outside the bathroom so everyone would know if you washed your hands or not.

Morse Bluff: 2 year high school for 9th and 10th. Closed in 1952.
Beaver Crossing: 1891-1967. Red and White, Beavers.
Staplehurst: 9th and 10th grades, closed sometime after World War II.
Crab Orchard: 1885-1947
Murdock: Bulldogs, Purple and White
Elmwwod-Murdock: Consolidated Fall of 1990
Firth Norris: 1964
Roca: Blue and White. Girls-Rockettes, Boys-Ramblers or Rockets
Seward Concordia: 1894-1973
Cortland: 1872-1966, Red and White Raiders
Liberty: 1893-1963. Purple and White, switched to blue and white. Mustangs.
Wymore: 1884-1968. Red and Black. Cardinals. Changed to Zephyrs in 1934.
Virginia: 1904-1964. Blue and Gold, Pirates
Cook: 1890-1968. Orange and Black. Cougars
Talmage: 1887-1968. Purple and White. Bulldogs
Strang: 1893-1951
Ohiowa: 1888-1982. Blue and Gold. Bulldogs
Rulo: 1891-1951. Red and White. Eagles
Nemaha: 1891-1966. Orange and Black. Changed colors sometime to Green and Gold. Indians

Nemaha was in the Southeast Consolidated district.

The book that I have used to find this information is called Pages of History. Nebraska High Schools Present and Past-Public and Private. 1854-1994.

I hope this helps.

Diller-Odell merged in 2000. Found this in an article from the Beatrice paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
Morse Bluff: 2 year high school for 9th and 10th. Closed in 1952.
Beaver Crossing: 1891-1967. Red and White, Beavers.
Staplehurst: 9th and 10th grades, closed sometime after World War II.
Crab Orchard: 1885-1947
Murdock: Bulldogs, Purple and White
Elmwwod-Murdock: Consolidated Fall of 1990
Firth Norris: 1964
Roca: Blue and White. Girls-Rockettes, Boys-Ramblers or Rockets
Seward Concordia: 1894-1973
Cortland: 1872-1966, Red and White Raiders
Liberty: 1893-1963. Purple and White, switched to blue and white. Mustangs.
Wymore: 1884-1968. Red and Black. Cardinals. Changed to Zephyrs in 1934.
Virginia: 1904-1964. Blue and Gold, Pirates
Cook: 1890-1968. Orange and Black. Cougars
Talmage: 1887-1968. Purple and White. Bulldogs
Strang: 1893-1951
Ohiowa: 1888-1982. Blue and Gold. Bulldogs
Rulo: 1891-1951. Red and White. Eagles
Nemaha: 1891-1966. Orange and Black. Changed colors sometime to Green and Gold. Indians

Nemaha was in the Southeast Consolidated district.

The book that I have used to find this information is called Pages of History. Nebraska High Schools Present and Past-Public and Private. 1854-1994.

I hope this helps.

Diller-Odell merged in 2000. Found this in an article from the Beatrice paper.
Thank you so much! You are definitely helping me finish my spreadsheet.

Just spent 20 minutes looking for Irma, Nebraska where I had a high school in 1931 losing to Ewing in the Pierce basketball district. Turned out it was a typo for Inman!

Think I found a school in Knox County that's not on your nickname and color list:
Winnetoon Wildcats (black & red) closed 1941

Here's another school from Knox County: Verdel. I have no info right now that they ever competed athletically, though the town produced a Nebraska football letterman in 1938 when the school would have been operating.

"“In the early 1930s a two-story brick schoolhouse was built. It consisted of grades K-10, with grades 11-12 added later. In 1955, after its last senior high student (LaVon Stiefvater) graduated, the high school closed. Verdel consolidated with Lynch, with elementary classes continuing until the early 1960s. When that building closed, Verdel divided, with part of the town going to Lynch and the other choosing the Niobrara district.”

That's from this UNL project: https://casde.unl.edu/history/counties/knox/verdel/

Verdel had a basketball team, at least during the 1930's. I think their first season was 31-32. I have a list of scores somewhere that had them losing to McLean in a district tourney in the late 30's.

Sounds about right. I found an NU football letterman who would have graduated in 31 or 32. And they were assigned a basketball district in 1953.

Now I'm looking for Dry Valley High. Maps show a couple of Dry Valley communities north of Mullen, but Dry Valley High played in the 1931 Kearney district so this must be another community. Any ideas?
Dry Valley High started in 1922-1945, it was along Highway 183, about 14 miles north of Ansley. They were the Trojans, purple and gold. They played in boys state hoops in 1927 and 1928. They also formed a conference with Octonto, Westerville, Milburn, Gates and Berwyn called the Little Six Conference. After 1945 it went on to be K-8 until 1963.

Last edited:
Awhile back a guy told me that Amelia, in southwest Holt County, had a two year high school and their mascot was the Mallards. Does anyone have information on that? There are a lot of posts, so maybe this topic has already been addressed.

Awhile back a guy told me that Amelia, in southwest Holt County, had a two year high school and their mascot was the Mallards. Does anyone have information on that? There are a lot of posts, so maybe this topic has already been addressed.
According to the Pages of History: Nebraska High schools book I have.

AMELIA SCHOOL DISTRICT 228

“In Southwestern Holt County, North of the south fork of the Elkhorn River is the community of Amelia. School for area students was enhanced in 1924 by the new three-room schoolhouse. Interestingly, 9th, 10th, and 11th grade classes were held between World War I and World War II, a rare three year high school. B.W. Waldo served on the school board much of this period.

According to this book that was published in 1994, Amelia was still used by K-8 Students.

Anyone aware if Dakota City ever had a high school? Or know any history on their public school system. For as long as I can remember South Sioux City has had an elementary feeder school in Dakota City.

In the what if category, what if Dakota City had a K-12 school system? The Homer school probably wouldn't exist and Dakota City, with most of the existing Homer district, would be a larger C1 or smaller class B school. I'm guessing Dakota City is probably the largest city in the state without a high school.

Last edited:
Anyone aware if Dakota City ever had a high school? Or know any history on their public school system. For as long as I can remember South Sioux City has had an elementary feeder school in Dakota City.

In the what if category, what if Dakota City had a K-12 school system? The Homer school probably wouldn't exist and Dakota City, with most of the existing Homer district, would be a larger C1 or smaller class B school. I'm guessing Dakota City is probably the largest city in the state without a high school.

The high school was open until 1962. I figured they were absorbed mostly into SSC. Is Homer more likely?

The high school was open until 1962. I figured they were absorbed mostly into SSC. Is Homer more likely?

Mostly SSC though quite a few do option down to Homer. Just pointing out though that its an odd setup that a town of 2,000 has no high school.

I meant to say they had a school at least into the 1950's, but was unsure when it closed. Now I know! Thanks for the information.

According to the Pages of History: Nebraska High schools book I have.

AMELIA SCHOOL DISTRICT 228

“In Southwestern Holt County, North of the south fork of the Elkhorn River is the community of Amelia. School for area students was enhanced in 1924 by the new three-room schoolhouse. Interestingly, 9th, 10th, and 11th grade classes were held between World War I and World War II, a rare three year high school. B.W. Waldo served on the school board much of this period.

According to this book that was published in 1994, Amelia was still used by K-8 Students.

No sign of Amelia in the 1931 district tournament brackets, but I found a clipping from the Atkinson paper in Feb 1940 where Amelia is playing in the Class C district tournament in Inman. Class C would be the smallest schools in the state in 1940.

Bumping this as football season nears.

I am working on a list of 'non-traditional' schools. Not town public schools. Not consolidated public schools. Not traditional parochial schools. Here's what I have so far, any additions?

Teachers Education Schools
- Peru Prep
- Wayne (Hahn) Prep
- Lincoln University High (Teachers)
- Kearney (A.O. Thomas) Prep
- Chadron Prep
- Does Creighton Prep fit here? Don’t think it was for teacher ed.

State/National special programs
- West Kearney (state YRTC)
- Chardon Pine Ridge Job Corps (national program)
- Curtis Ag School (state ag school)
- Genoa U.S. Industrial School (Indian School) (national)
- Lincoln Agriculture (early version of Curtis?)

Boys Town

Boarding (all or primarily) schools
- Elkhorn Mt. Michael
- Shelton Platte River Academy (never NSAA)
- Nebraska Lutheran in Waco
- Nebraska Christian in Central City

Military schools
- Kearney Military
- Lincoln Military

What were Franklin Academy and Hebron Academy and Lincoln Cotner Academy?

K-10s
- Long, long list (which ones were NSAA members- basketball/track districts?)

I am working on a list of 'non-traditional' schools. Not town public schools. Not consolidated public schools. Not traditional parochial schools. Here's what I have so far, any additions?

- Peru Prep
- Wayne (Hahn) Prep
- Chadron Prep

Boys Town

- Elkhorn Mt. Michael

Military schools
- Kearney Military
- Lincoln Military

K-10s
Your knowledge on this subject is truly amazing and thank you,

- Peru Prep
- Wayne (Hahn) Prep
- Chadron Prep

Boys Town

- Elkhorn Mt. Michael

Military schools
- Kearney Military
- Lincoln Military

K-10s
Brownell Talbot is an interesting one. Started as an all girls boarding school (Brownell Hall) in 1863. Brought in boys in the mid sixties. Started playing football in 1965 as the Talbot Blue Raiders.

The girlfriend just got a teaching job at Elmwood-Murdock. She was showing me around the school and I noticed in the gym two banners of Elmwood and Murdock that were in their school colors and listed the mascots and years the schools were in service before consolidation. I remember Suiting Up Varsity on Twitter posting about another school doing this (Sandhills-Thedord I think). Being a Norris grad that would be cool to see with all the different towns that make up the school.
Hickman
Firth
Cortland
Panama
Roca
Princeton
Rokeby

Republican Valley (Indianola+Red Willow) was purple and white and Twin Valley (Bartley+Beaver Valley) was black and white (with maybe some red). They went on to combine and form the Southwest HS Roughriders (Navy and Carolina Blue)
Republican Valley was Purple and Gold

Amelia played in basketball districts from 1938-1943. Never played in a district final to my knowledge. That's the only athletic record we have of them. No idea on mascot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT