ADVERTISEMENT

SE NE football in C2 and weak districts

That would be great Look, at C2 You would have kids from
Aquinas
STC
Sutton
DT
all on the same team

to split the state in half you would draw a line from fremont straight across the state, but not sure the north would compete to well if we did that

And in C2 you would have kids from Bergan, Stanton, Battle Creek, Oakland-Craig.

In C1 you would have kids from, Boone Central, Pierce, Norfolk Catholic, Scotus, Lakeview, Wayne.

It would be fun no doubt.
C1 Bishop Newman, wahoo, Kearney Catholic, Boys town, GICC, wilber, central city, GICC Let alone B schools

It isnt just about Stanton, but anyone that knows football realizes that they are a top ten team in C2 that is sitting at home, they are the only team that gave BC a game. I dont think many teams, especially oakland would want to see them again. They basically gift wrapped a win for oakland the first time by giving them 5 fumbles. There just has to be a better way.
Oakland-Craig would gladly play Stanton again.

I don't think there is any doubt that football in the NE is played at a higher level than in the SE. But, having spent time in both areas, I can also say that I don't think that that is necessarily a feather in the cap of the schools in the NE. One (that I know of) team practices on Sunday afternoons for 3-4 hours. Another practices for well over 3 hours (every night). One coach of a "successful" NE football program has tried forcing his players to play after having suffered concussions (including calling one player a "pussy", when a player refused to play after suffering 2 concussions in the same week). In all of those schools, it is a stated (not implied) fact that if you do not lift weights (year round- and attend the specified conditioning activities), you will not play (something that- I believe- is a violation of NSAA rules). And those are just the schools that I am familiar with; who knows how much of that stuff goes on in the NE. Down south, however, I've never heard of any of those kinds of things happening. By the way, it is a known fact that in one of the most successful programs in the NE the players are heavy drinkers- and it is approved of by the head coach- as long as they don't do it during the football season.
I think that if the NSAA ever REALLY did a thorough investigation of every school and their compliance policies, there's be alot of shocked people.

All that being said, I think there are some schools in the NE who do things the right way (Crofton and West Holt come to mind, among others) and are still pretty successful football programs.
Because the bar in that area is so high, many teams have to raise their own level of competition. On the other hand, in the SE, if you can get your kids to lift and work hard- that almost guarantees you a 7 win season.

yeah your probably right

It's not the Platte River the entire way, but the Shrine Bowl uses I-80 I believe. It's fairly close to the same thing. (I get there are Class A players included also) My point is that there are really good players every year from all parts of the state. No sense in getting into a pissing match over who's got the better football.
Agree with that, the self proclaimed magic circle crap just gets old un very untrue, oh well good luck to all

Post of the year. And spot on!
SO to summarize this thread into the following 10 main points:
(1) Northeast Nebraska is better at football than everyone
(2) If you have success outside of Northeast Nebraska, it's because you are private school, and/or you inflated your record by playing teams outside of Northeast Nebraska
(3) Bergan and Brownell-Talbot should be punished for playing the schedule the NSAA set up because they didn't play Battle Creek and Stanton did.
(4) Stanton is just as good as Aquinas because they beat Logan View by a lot.
(5) Stanton deserves to be in because they defeated Northeast Nebraska powerhouses Logan View, Homer, Ponca, Laurel-Concord, Tekamah-Herman, Twin River, and Wisner-Pilger
(6) Southeast Nebraska shouldn't be included in the playoffs, nor teams that played those teams
(7) Apparently, in Northeast Nebraska, there is a real life equivalent to West Canaan High School being run by a Bud Kilmer who swears at kids, puts them in harms way, makes them lift weights, but gives the "ok" to booze it up
(8) West Holt and Crofton are nice teams
(9) We need a panel of people to pick the best teams to make the playoffs, which obviously needs to include mostly Northeast Nebraska teams, and then they can decide what 3-4 other teams from outside of Northeast Nebraska that don't play Southeast Nebraska teams can get in
(10) We should blame Obama for this

We all on the same page?
Perfect, that's what I've been trying to say but you did it much better!

People that thought going from 32 teams to 16 teams in the playoffs were dead wrong.
Settle this on the field and go back to 32 teams.
C-1 2013 Playoffs ---C-1 2014 Playoffs
Average Margin of Victory
1st Round (32)
- Margin of Victory - 20
2nd Round (16)
- Margin of Victory - 13 ---1st Round (16) - Margin of Victory - 21
Quarters (8)
- Margin of Victory - 21 ---Quarters (8) - Margin of Victory - 15
Semi Finals (4)
- Margin of Victory - 17 ---Semi Finals (4) - Margin of Victory - 27
Championship (2)
- Margin of Victory - 26 ---Championship (2) - Margin of Victory - 40
Average Margin of victory for all rounds
32 Teams - 19 points ---16 Teams - 23 Points

C-2 2013 Playoffs ---C-2 2014 Playoffs
1st Round (32)
- Margin of Victory - 27
2nd Round (16)
- Margin of Victory - 16 ---1st Round (16) - Margin of Victory - 20
Quarters (8)
- Margin of Victory - 12 ---Quarters (8) - Margin of Victory - 26
Semi Finals (4)
- Margin of Victory - 26 ---Semi Finals (4) - Margin of Victory - 15
Championship (2)
- Margin of Victory - 19 ---Championship (2) - Margin of Victory - 34
Average Margin of victory for all rounds
32 Teams - 20 points ---16 Teams - 24 Points

The past playoff scores are on the NSAA website.

Great discussion, football is alive and well in Nebraska, good luck to all teams, probably BC and Aquinas in the final!!

Unfortunately that's what the majority of discussions turn into. As a Mustang alum, these are not the thoughts of the community. They knew they had to win certain games and they didn't, so we they move on. I think it is ridiculous to attack southeast Ne football. When we played, we faced Elmwood-Murdock. Our coaches had the utmost respect for that team and said Coach Schmale (sp) was one of the best around. I went to their Freeman playoff game last year and Freeman had 3 of the best football players I'd seen in some time (QB, RB,O-Lineman). I say congratulations to Yutan and Omaha-Brownell Talbot, obviously teams/programs on the rise. Anyone who knows football would never call out Bergan, they are the well coached and have great kids. Good Luck to all teams in the playoffs they earned their way and deserve to be there.
Great post. You're a class act my friend. I'm sure most people up there agree with you and just appreciate all the hard work these kids put in everyday and let what happens on the field decide who's the better team on any given day. There are always teams (from all areas) that are able to reload year after year and stay in the top rank and unfortunately there are always teams (from all areas) that can never seem to put together a successful program. Most teams land somewhere in the middle and rise and fall from season to season depending on the talent available. No area of the state has a lock on quality and no area is immune to problems. I've posted before that I think Stanton should have got in (Arcadia too), I don't care who they played, 7-2 should get you in the playoffs. Maybe better to have a 32 team playoff and let a few teams in that shouldn't be there, then leave a few out that should. I really feel for Stanton (especially the seniors) because they didn't even get their last game of the regular season. I don't want to get in a argument with anyone, we're all here because we love the game. The reason I got on this thread in the first place is that I get tired of people going on and on about the "private schools" like they recruit out of Texas or Florida or something. I've been hearing this BS for years. They're kids from the same towns as the kids that go to the public schools. They all drink the same water. If they're better it's probably because they work harder. Good luck to all the teams in the playoffs. It's an honor. You earned it. Enjoy it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT