ADVERTISEMENT

Football Benson cancels remainder of season

Didn’t they have a significant coaching change that cause alot of players to transfer out last year or 2 years ago?
Yes, Mackey and Abdul were there and kind of had some things moving in the right direction. A connection to the 7v7 circuit. When they left for Central there were 15-20 players follow them there.

Yes, Mackey and Abdul were there and kind of had some things moving in the right direction. A connection to the 7v7 circuit. When they left for Central there were 15-20 players follow them there.
Jim Rose said that when Mackey left he took his assistant to Central to be the Recruiting Coordinator.

The sad thing about all of this that there is a high school in the state of Nebraska that has a recruiting coordinator for a high school football team.

Reactions: jonh142881
It shows me that OPS doesn’t really care about the Benson’s and the Bryan's, etc. as they let it happen.
so you want OPS board to hand pick who gets to transfer ? This is a result of parents getting what they want and soon school vouchers will be a even bigger mess and the death of high school sports in Nebraska

They should get a chance to opt down to class B. Open enrollment in Lincoln/Omaha has created a monster that needs to be dealt with. How about sitting out a year if you transfer, and you have to live in the district? The open enrollment problem is not new, but its made the entire metro a joke unless you are the top couple schools for each sport. How can we say this is nothing more than a sports first attitude? Aren't we here for the kids' well being? Also, if a coach is destroying an opponent, and they know its no contest, suit up younger guys and take the foot off the pedal so you don't get a bunch of guys hurt.

so you want OPS board to hand pick who gets to transfer ? This is a result of parents getting what they want and soon school vouchers will be a even bigger mess and the death of high school sports in Nebraska
I was referring to the coach assigning the job of Recruiting Coordinator to one of his assistant coaches. To me that is a failure of OPS allowing that title to exist.

School voucher system won’t pass if the votes left up to the general public
I hope your right but look how easily open enrollment was slipped through. Not one Coach thought this wouldn't turn into a recruiting nightmare NOW we have added NIL to this as well This is only the beginning of the mess to come. In the next several years if add the Voucher system to this, well then you can spell the end of high school sports as we know it.

It's apparent to see that open enrollment/recruiting has taken over the Metro schools and is ruining high school sports in Nebraska.

I understand that open enrollment is a factor here, but set that aside for a moment.

Even without open enrollment, Benson has a serious participation problem.

What I personally believe should be researched is the possibility of a football co-op between some of the metro schools that are having this issue. I understand that opting down is something that some believe would help. However, that doesn't really help unless the opt down is from 11 man to 8 man, or 8 man to 6 man. Class A to B won't help because they don't have enough kids to even be playing 11 man. If Benson has 25 and Bryan has 25, at least they can play Varsity and JV football.

I understand that open enrollment is a factor here, but set that aside for a moment.

Even without open enrollment, Benson has a serious participation problem.

What I personally believe should be researched is the possibility of a football co-op between some of the metro schools that are having this issue. I understand that opting down is something that some believe would help. However, that doesn't really help unless the opt down is from 11 man to 8 man, or 8 man to 6 man. Class A to B won't help because they don't have enough kids to even be playing 11 man. If Benson has 25 and Bryan has 25, at least they can play Varsity and JV football.
Great point, so to help this some vision by Admin to do some coop in lincoln and omaha are Thats a great idea

Open enrollment isn't going away, nor should it. People need to stop complaining about that. Kids should be able to go to school where they want.

That would be like saying you can live in Valley, but you can't work in Omaha because you need to work in the town you live in. Doesn't make sense.

Better opportunities for families aren't always down the street and that rings true in education. At the end of the day, some schools need to step their game up in a variety of ways to keep good families in their system.

Reactions: stangsker
Open enrollment isn't going away, nor should it. People need to stop complaining about that. Kids should be able to go to school where they want.

That would be like saying you can live in Valley, but you can't work in Omaha because you need to work in the town you live in. Doesn't make sense.

Better opportunities for families aren't always down the street and that rings true in education. At the end of the day, some schools need to step their game up in a variety of ways to keep good families in their system.
Like I said this is not going away, open enrollment caused it and it will continue and this is the way it is now, I dont know how to fix it. I think it is a case of you cant have your cake and eat it too

Like I said this is not going away, open enrollment caused it and it will continue and this is the way it is now, I dont know how to fix it and think it is a case of you cant have your cake and eat it too
We can look at open enrollment in different lenses. I don't see open enrollment as a negative at all.

Open enrollment has given kids and families more opportunities to explore better academic and athletic programs than what their home district is providing them. I don't see that as a negative at all.

We can look at open enrollment in different lenses. I don't see open enrollment as a negative at all.

Open enrollment has given kids and families more opportunities to explore better academic and athletic programs than what their home district is providing them. I don't see that as a negative at all.
It has cause, (with club sports) a complete decile in overall sports in the State of Nebraska It is as bad as I have ever seen it and I am afriad it is only going to get worse I think we will also start to see a trend of participation numbers beginning to drop in the state

Lets make one thing clear - this has NOTHING to do with education. Kids are going to other schools for athletics. Why do families have to leave the school district they are in to go to a better team? What is wrong with staying at their current district and making their team better?

Lets make one thing clear - this has NOTHING to do with education. Kids are going to other schools for athletics. Why do families have to leave the school district they are in to go to a better team? What is wrong with staying at their current district and making their team better?
To be fair, you only hear of the kids that transfer because of athletics. There are more than 600 names on the May 1st list from last year. There aren't 600 kids in schools becoming D1 athletes. There are many kids who transfer and don't even play a sport. Often times schools suggest they complete the May 1 paperwork incase they want to try an activity at their new school.

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
Outside of the metro, I know plenty of examples where families pulled their kids out of their home districts because the district seven miles away or 12 miles away offered more academic programs, larger class sizes ( example, going from 12 kids per grade to 42 kids per grade) and a more stable academic structure.

Athletes get the headlines, but there are families who want their kids to have the option to take three different sciences courses as a junior vs just one. They want their kids to have electives that could help them make a more informed decision when going to college.

Reactions: point8ppg
To be fair, you only hear of the kids that transfer because of athletics. There are more than 1100 names on the May 1st list from last year. There aren't 600 kids in schools becoming D1 athletes. There are many kids who transfer and don't even play a sport. Often times schools suggest they complete the May 1 paperwork incase they want to try an activity at their new school.
If it is truly suppose to be about academics then just put in a 180 days illegible to participate in a NSAA event

If it is truly suppose to be about academics then just put in a 180 days illegible to participate in a NSAA event
Athletics are a part of the high school experience. Why should a kid get punished for wanting to be in a better situation? Because it hurts the home district school? Maybe the home district school can look at ways to improve so they aren't losing kids.

Should an adult have to sit out 180 days and not work because that person went to find a better employment opportunity somewhere else?

Reactions: point8ppg
Athletics are a part of the high school experience. Why should a kid get punished for wanting to be in a better situation? Because it hurts the home district school? Maybe the home district school can look at ways to improve so they aren't losing kids.

Should an adult have to sit out 180 days and not work because that person went to find a better employment opportunity somewhere else?
Then again we are back to this is only going to get worse And athletics as a whole in Nebraska will continue to decline

Reactions: GoSkers3
Outside of the metro, I know plenty of examples where families pulled their kids out of their home districts because the district seven miles away or 12 miles away offered more academic programs, larger class sizes ( example, going from 12 kids per grade to 42 kids per grade) and a more stable academic structure.

Athletes get the headlines, but there are families who want their kids to have the option to take three different sciences courses as a junior vs just one. They want their kids to have electives that could help them make a more informed decision when going to college.
This right here. The majority of students that have transferred out of their home district that I have talked to have discussed moving districts because of academics. There are of course those families or students that do transfer for athletics, but they are the minority from my own experience. If a student wants to better their academic standing while also participating in activities, a 180 day period of sitting out would do more harm to our students from an academic standpoint than athletics as it may keep them from pursuing the better education that they or their families are looking for.

Some kids are changing schools for athletics, yes. There are kids that are changing as well for academics, fine arts, or because of social reasons.......these never get talked about or publicized like athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT