ADVERTISEMENT

C1 Subdistricts?!

jonh142881

Freshman
Dec 7, 2003
C1-3 has Neumann, Wahoo and Ashland in the SAME SUBDISTRICT? So if 4 teams are wildcards in the substate, half of them are coming from one sub district. The #4,5,6 teams in C1 in the same subdistrict?!?! What is the point of that setup?

C1-3 has Neumann, Wahoo and Ashland in the SAME SUBDISTRICT? So if 4 teams are wildcards in the substate, half of them are coming from one sub district. The #4,5,6 teams in C1 in the same subdistrict?!?! What is the point of that setup?
I think that's the reasoning for the following proposal:

Summary: Classes C1 & C2 schools are divided into 4 regions (West, Central, NE, SE) The westernmost region will be made of the 5-6 furthest western schools. The remaining 3 regions will be composed of 15-18 teams based on geographical area. Those 3 regions will then serpentine into 3 districts pf 4-6 based on wildcard points set on our current date. The highest-seeded team will host the sub-district.

a. The winning team in each sub will qualify for the district final.
b. The next 6 non sub winners with the highest wild card point averages will qualify for the district final. Split the state into 4 regions (West, Central, NE, SE) The westernmost regions will be made of the 4-6 furthest western schools. The remaining 3 regions will be composed of 15-18 teams based on regions (central, NE, SE, etc.) Those 3 regions will then serpentine into 3 districts of 5-6 based on wildcard points at our current date.
c. This creates 10 districts of 4-6 teams. The winners of these 0 districts & the top 6 wildcards will seed and play a district final game.

Rationale: By moving to 10 subs we can better glance the level of competition through subs. The opportunity for 6 wildcards helps the loaded sub districts. A sub with 6 teams does not add a day to the competition, as in a 5 team sub we already have a "bunny bracket": game on day 1 of the sub, so no we would have 2 games on that night.

Pros: This will help teams that have had successful seasons but are in a very tough area when subs are drawn have a chance to advance to the district final. Top 3 teams in each region are guaranteed a home district.

Cons: Potential for longer drives for Eastern schools.

Summary: Classes C1 & C2 schools are divided into 4 regions (West, Central, NE, SE) The westernmost region will be made of the 5-6 furthest western schools. The remaining 3 regions will be composed of 15-18 teams based on geographical area. Those 3 regions will then serpentine into 3 districts pf 4-6 based on wildcard points set on our current date. The highest-seeded team will host the sub-district.

b. The next 6 non sub winners with the highest wild card point averages will qualify for the district final. Split the state into 4 regions (West, Central, NE, SE) The westernmost regions will be made of the 4-6 furthest western schools. The remaining 3 regions will be composed of 15-18 teams based on regions (central, NE, SE, etc.) Those 3 regions will then serpentine into 3 districts of 5-6 based on wildcard points at our current date.
c. This creates 10 districts of 4-6 teams. The winners of these 0 districts & the top 6 wildcards will seed and play a district final game.

Rationale: By moving to 10 subs we can better glance the level of competition through subs. The opportunity for 6 wildcards helps the loaded sub districts. A sub with 6 teams does not add a day to the competition, as in a 5 team sub we already have a "bunny bracket": game on day 1 of the sub, so no we would have 2 games on that night.

Pros: This will help teams that have had successful seasons but are in a very tough area when subs are drawn have a chance to advance to the district final. Top 3 teams in each region are guaranteed a home district.

Hope this passes.

This ridiculous notion to serpentine part of the state and not the entire state is insane. If you do one half, you have to do the whole thing. Its arrogant people in the eastern portion of the state that think there can't possibly be more than 1 or 2 good teams in the west.

Look at C4 District in wrestling. That Broken Bow district was a MEAT GRINDER. Only district that wasn't serpentined. Look at C1 girls basketball right now. Two of the top 3 teams in power points are in the panhandle. (Sidney and Bridgeport). Four of the top 16 are in "west" when you include Gordon-Rushville and Ogallala. And 9 of the top 16 are west of Grand Island when you get GICC, Broken Bow, Gothenburg, Minden, and Adams Central.

But sure. Lets only serpentine the east. What a ridiculous thought.

This ridiculous notion to serpentine part of the state and not the entire state is insane. If you do one half, you have to do the whole thing. Its arrogant people in the eastern portion of the state that think there can't possibly be more than 1 or 2 good teams in the west.

Look at C4 District in wrestling. That Broken Bow district was a MEAT GRINDER. Only district that wasn't serpentined. Look at C1 girls basketball right now. Two of the top 3 teams in power points are in the panhandle. (Sidney and Bridgeport). Four of the top 16 are in "west" when you include Gordon-Rushville and Ogallala. And 9 of the top 16 are west of Grand Island when you get GICC, Broken Bow, Gothenburg, Minden, and Adams Central.

Maybe it's written that way because the west refuses to make any kind of change. Maybe the people in the east don't believe there are only 1 or 2 good teams in the west, but they're tired of the sub-districts in the east with 3 or 4 teams in the top 16 in the same sub-district simply because of location.

There have been a few ADs who have tried for years to make a change in class C. They've tried many different options of doing things. Finally everyone agreed to get rid of the 180 mile rule for district finals. A buddy said the worst thing is trying to find someone to host you when over 180 miles apart. People don't want to find workers for games their schools aren't involved in.

The west is as much for serpentining things as the east is. The east just throws a fit when it comes time to travel more than 15 minutes to a game, so it is a lot easier for them to not include the west in their proposals.

Reactions: Yossarian23
The west is as much for serpentining things as the east is. The east just throws a fit when it comes time to travel more than 15 minutes to a game, so it is a lot easier for them to not include the west in their proposals.
I'm assuming teams like O'Neill would be included in "East". Auburn to O'Neill is a haul, especially if it's a 2-3 day sub. The current setup, while not perfect, is pretty good. If you're in a loaded sub, move on & win a district final to go to state.

I'm assuming teams like O'Neill would be included in "East". Auburn to O'Neill is a haul, especially if it's a 2-3 day sub. The current setup, while not perfect, is pretty good. If you're in a loaded sub, move on & win a district final to go to state.
Agree. Some sarcasm in my "travel more than 15 minutes" comment. If the entire state was serpentined and it was done this year in C1 girls BB we would have the teams below as hosts.... A majority of the eastern schools would lose their minds, especially the ones that had to go out to Sidney or Bridgeport. Four of the districts would be west of Kearney in Sidney, Bridgeport, Broken Bow, Gothenburg. Three more would be right near Kearney at GICC, Minden, Adams Central.

I can just hear it right now, two schools from the east throwing a fit that they have to drive "all the way to Grand Island" for their 4-5 play-in game. Like it was the Oregon Trail or something.

• Sidney (22-0), 46.4545
  • Lincoln Christian (19-2), 46.2857
  • Bridgeport (22-0), 45.9545
  • Grand Island Central Catholic (20-2), 45.7273
  • Minden (17-3), 45.5500
  • Broken Bow (18-3), 45.1905
  • Gothenburg (17-5), 44.5000
  • Adams Central (18-4), 44.3636
  • North Bend Central (14-8), 43.2273
  • Arlington (19-4), 43.1739
  • Malcolm (14-8), 42.7727
  • Battle Creek (15-5), 42.7500

Agree. Some sarcasm in my "travel more than 15 minutes" comment. If the entire state was serpentined and it was done this year in C1 girls BB we would have the teams below as hosts.... A majority of the eastern schools would lose their minds, especially the ones that had to go out to Sidney or Bridgeport. Four of the districts would be west of Kearney in Sidney, Bridgeport, Broken Bow, Gothenburg. Three more would be right near Kearney at GICC, Minden, Adams Central.

I can just hear it right now, two schools from the east throwing a fit that they have to drive "all the way to Grand Island" for their 4-5 play-in game. Like it was the Oregon Trail or something.

• Sidney (22-0), 46.4545
  • Lincoln Christian (19-2), 46.2857
  • Bridgeport (22-0), 45.9545
  • Grand Island Central Catholic (20-2), 45.7273
  • Minden (17-3), 45.5500
  • Broken Bow (18-3), 45.1905
  • Gothenburg (17-5), 44.5000
  • Adams Central (18-4), 44.3636
  • North Bend Central (14-8), 43.2273
  • Arlington (19-4), 43.1739
  • Malcolm (14-8), 42.7727
  • Battle Creek (15-5), 42.7500
if you lose in subs and are a good team, you still get to district finals, the system we have now gives you two chances to make it, how many does a team need. Come on

I see what you are saying, but I have to say that I believe you are looking at it from a different perspective than I am.

The west isn't going to serpentine because there are only 6 teams. A 6 team Bracket IS a serpentine. This is being done to attempt to limit travel for the western most teams. Make no mistake, the West Region could still get an Automatic District Final PLUS 2 Wild Card District Finals. This proposal actually FAVORS the West Region.

Let me just say this, if I were in that Western Region, I would take this in a second. Maybe I am seeing it wrong.

Do you really have to put three teams from the top 6 in one sub? They can't drive 20 minutes further in another direction? There is no point to having three historically top 10 teams in the same sub. That isn't hard to avoid. Doesn't wrestling serpentine the entire state for districts?

Do you really have to put three teams from the top 6 in one sub? They can't drive 20 minutes further in another direction? There is no point to having three historically top 10 teams in the same sub. That isn't hard to avoid. Doesn't wrestling serpentine the entire state for districts?
Yes, they have to according to the NSAA rules which are voted on by member schools. 2 of them will get wild cards to district finals & have a chance to qualify for state. Unlike the old days, the 2 teams that lose in subs will have a chance to make it to state.

They could easily be in a sub in the omaha area, or go north or south to the lincoln area.
Here's why. From the manual.
The proposal submitted this year would change this, but would increase travel. I guess I'm fine with either, but IMO, there's never been a state championship school left out of district finals using the current format.

"Classes C1 & C2 schools are divided into twelve four- or five-team sub-districts on the geographical basis starting
with the schools in western Nebraska and working east. North to south direction was used in some cases in order to
decrease the distance between the schools within a district."

I see what you are saying, but I have to say that I believe you are looking at it from a different perspective than I am.

The west isn't going to serpentine because there are only 6 teams. A 6 team Bracket IS a serpentine. This is being done to attempt to limit travel for the western most teams. Make no mistake, the West Region could still get an Automatic District Final PLUS 2 Wild Card District Finals. This proposal actually FAVORS the West Region.

Let me just say this, if I were in that Western Region, I would take this in a second. Maybe I am seeing it wrong.
I don't see what is favorable for the west with this sub-district. Two teams 23-0 in the same sub. And Gordon-Rushville is 14th in power points, but is a 3 seed in that monster. Hate to be Bridgeport and go undefeated yet still not host a sub. Thats insane.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I don't see what is favorable for the west with this sub-district. Two teams 23-0 in the same sub. And Gordon-Rushville is 14th in power points, but is a 3 seed in that monster. Hate to be Bridgeport and go undefeated yet still not host a sub. Thats insane.
6 Westernmost Schools in the same Class that haven't played each other during the season? Why? Well... because it's too far to travel.

Now a solution is on the board to limit travel! Nope, that's arrogant.

This is literally proof that there is absolutely no way to please everyone, and no matter what solution is offered... people will bitch about it. Ironically the people that SHOULD object to this aren't saying anything. If I were coaching outside of the proposed Western Region, I wouldn't like this at all.

The sub-district assignments are done before the season starts. So "technically" they don't know which teams will be good or not. In this day and age, I'd be all for a serpentine structure, but there's always the ones that can't get over "how it's been done forever."

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
The sub-district assignments are done before the season starts. So "technically" they don't know which teams will be good or not. In this day and age, I'd be all for a serpentine structure, but there's always the ones that can't get over "how it's been done forever."
Good Point about the assignments being done pre-season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT