ADVERTISEMENT

Omaha Nation-Lewis & Clark Conference

nenebskers

All-Conference
Oct 18, 2013
Omaha Nation formally requested to join the Lewis & Clark Conference. At the last meeting 5 of the 17 schools were absent. They withheld voting until the next meeting as 2/3 majority is needed. I believe their next meeting wont be till September of 2019.

For Omaha Nation this would be huge for them to have a conference affiliation. They are often stuck with a very odd schedule and some long travel.

I'm not completely sure but I think this would be a decent fit for the conference. Omaha Nation have made some very nice updates to their facilities the past few years, would likely compete in the conference, and has a growing enrollment. Two downfalls I see is the travel from Macy to the Knox County schools though they likely wouldn't schedule each other much and the overall size of the conference is just ridiculously large.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Would be a big fan of this move. It’s where they should have been all along. Travel partners with Walthill, Winnebago, Homer, Emerson-Hubbard.

Man they had some great Boys Hoops teams in the early and mid 2000’s.

Omaha Nation would fight right in. Peers Winnebago and Walthill are already members. Emerson, Homer, Wakefield, Ponca, Allen.....quite a few schools close by. Kind of a no-brainer, and I'm surprised they haven't been a member a long time ago.

Off topic, but speaking of Winnebago, former 'Bago standout David Wingett has signed to play at South Dakota State. He spent last year at Bull City Prep Academy in North Carolina, but was out most of the year with injury. He will have to sitout the 2019-20 year, but will have four years of eligibility with the Jackrabbits.

Off topic, but speaking of Winnebago, former 'Bago standout David Wingett has signed to play at South Dakota State. He spent last year at Bull City Prep Academy in North Carolina, but was out most of the year with injury. He will have to sitout the 2019-20 year, but will have four years of eligibility with the Jackrabbits.
He was at Bull Prep 2 years ago. Last season he was at Memphis. I think he will have to sit out 1 year then have 3 years left.

He was at Bull Prep 2 years ago. Last season he was at Memphis. I think he will have to sit out 1 year then have 3 years left.

Correct, he was at Bull City two years ago and Memphis last year. He was granted a medical redshirt and will have 4 years of eligibility after sitting out next year. He played 24 minutes in first 4 games for Memphis before the injury. I wish the kid nothing but the best at SDSU. I think it's a great fit for him and at a level where he could be a big contributor. He was quoted as saying that after two years away he wanted to get back. Choose SDSU over Vanderbilt and Wichita State.

Correct, he was at Bull City two years ago and Memphis last year. He was granted a medical redshirt and will have 4 years of eligibility after sitting out next year. He played 24 minutes in first 4 games for Memphis before the injury. I wish the kid nothing but the best at SDSU. I think it's a great fit for him and at a level where he could be a big contributor. He was quoted as saying that after two years away he wanted to get back. Choose SDSU over Vanderbilt and Wichita State.
I didn't know he get a medical. That is great. He was the most entertaining high school player I've had the pleasure to watch. I hope nothing but the best as well.

Forgot all about Memphis.....but yes, he has four years to play at SDSU

Omaha Nation would fight right in. Peers Winnebago and Walthill are already members. Emerson, Homer, Wakefield, Ponca, Allen.....quite a few schools close by. Kind of a no-brainer, and I'm surprised they haven't been a member a long time ago.
Yes, but in a couple years; Wakefield, Allen, and E/H will be a co-op . Seems like a rather large "team" for that conference. Join the too-big East Husker for them, or try to get in Mid-State?

Yes, but in a couple years; Wakefield, Allen, and E/H will be a co-op . Seems like a rather large "team" for that conference. Join the too-big East Husker for them, or try to get in Mid-State?
I think the Mid State. Would be a nice addition. Wish Allen would just consolidate with Wakefield.

I think the Mid State. Would be a nice addition. Wish Allen would just consolidate with Wakefield.

I dont think they would be competitive in the Mid-States. Demographically they dont match up well, athletics isn't the same priority, and overall I think they would really struggle. The East Husker would be a much better IMO. I think it would be very similar to Madison the last 10 years or so that they were in the Mid-States, just not a good fit.

Allen and Emerson are getting so small in enrollment anymore, they won't be all that much of a boost to Wakefield. L&C I think would still be a fine home for them.

They wouldn't fit in to the Mid-State. Speaking of Mid-State, a bit surprised they've never found a 10th member. At one time, I thought Lutheran High Northeast might have been a potential member, but their enrollment has really sunk lately.

I dont think they would be competitive in the Mid-States. Demographically they dont match up well, athletics isn't the same priority, and overall I think they would really struggle. The East Husker would be a much better IMO. I think it would be very similar to Madison the last 10 years or so that they were in the Mid-States, just not a good fit.
That’s a good point. They would more than likely trend towards the bottom of the league.

Allen and Emerson are getting so small in enrollment anymore, they won't be all that much of a boost to Wakefield. L&C I think would still be a fine home for them.

They wouldn't fit in to the Mid-State. Speaking of Mid-State, a bit surprised they've never found a 10th member. At one time, I thought Lutheran High Northeast might have been a potential member, but their enrollment has really sunk lately.
I still wish GACC was in the East Husker. I know it’ll never happen because politics, but it makes a lot of sense. They barely play any EHC teams anymore.

Especially now with Dodge-Howells and Clarkson-Leigh in the fold.

I don't see it either. Wouldn't make any sense. Makes even less sense for West Point-Beemer to be in Mid-State and not in the East Husker. West Point-Beemer fits in and belongs with all those other schools from a geographical and location standpoint of the majority of the teams in the conference. I realize the Mid-State is a little more spread out as a whole, but I think GACC being in there makes a lot of sense with some other private schools being in the conference and the traditional power factor at least when it comes to Volleyball and Girls Basketball. The East Husker is a really good and tough conference also, and I just think West Point-Beemer fits in better with Wisner-Pilger, North Bend Central, Logan View/Scribner-Snyder, Oakland-Craig, Tekamah-Herman, etc. I think Central Catholic fits in better with the opponents in the Mid-State just cause they've always played those schools for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: runningback43
The Lewis and Clark Conference has their annual fall meeting tonight. On the agenda is a vote to add Omaha Nation to the conference. If anyone hears news on the vote please share.

My gut tells me they will get voted in. Not a huge fan of it myself.

The Lewis and Clark Conference has their annual fall meeting tonight. On the agenda is a vote to add Omaha Nation to the conference. If anyone hears news on the vote please share.

My gut tells me they will get voted in. Not a huge fan of it myself.

Why?

Just not a fan of super large conferences, that's all. Would rather have a 8-12 team conference where each school plays everyone each year. If looking to add a school I'd rather see them be aggresive and try to poach a Crofton, Pender, Wisner-Pilger, etc....maybe even Summerland. I understand it is unlikely one of those would join in the current setup. Again, just not a fan of the super large conference at the high school level. I think there is more negative than positive in a super large conference.

Last edited:
Just not a fan of super large conferences, that's all. Would rather have a 8-12 team conference where each school plays everyone each year. If looking to add a school I'd rather see them be aggresive and try to poach a Crofton, Pender, Wisner-Pilger, etc....though I understand it is unlikely one of those would join in the current setup. Again, just not a fan of the super large conference at the high school level. I think there is more negative than positive in a super large conference.

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight

Vote failed. 11 votes for, 4 votes against.

2 schools absent.

Needed 2/3 of member schools to pass (12 votes).

Vote failed. 11 votes for, 4 votes against.

2 schools absent.

Needed 2/3 of member schools to pass (12 votes).

Will they vote again with all schools present? They didnt vote last spring because not all schools were there.

Good question. My guess is they may vote again, but the two missing schools were from the west, which was not a region voting for them to join.

It is my understanding that UNPS will have to re-apply and wait until next year for another vote.

ACICOD, can you provide any more insight on the meeting?

I just read the minutes and it looks fishy. Meeting began at 4:30 with all schools present except Wausa and Creighton. The vote occurs, 11 for and 4 against. Motion failed because it needs 2/3 approval. At 4:40 Wausa and Creighton join in. Why were they 10 minutes late? Why didnt they delay the vote until the other two arrived, a whole 10 minutes? I realize it was the first thing on the agenda but as big of a decision as it was this looks poorly handled IMO. Just my two cents.

My understanding of the vote was that the two absent schools arrived after the vote, but were questioned about how they would have voted to get some idea. I don't believe either of those schools would have voted for Omaha Nation, so it wouldn't have mattered.

Working on getting the vote breakdown.

howcome they don't want Omaha nation in the conference, too many schools and it will screw up scheduling?

Take this for what it is, because it's only my personal speculation, but everything I've read recently about the All Nations Football Conference in South Dakota has Winnebago and Omaha Nation joining next year with this scheduling cycle wrapping up. Maybe some schools are worried that if it ends up being a good deal for those schools that they will leave the conference and leave a couple holes in the conference.

Speculation 2 - with the Allen-EH-Wakefield co-op looming there is going to be a shift westward as far as the conference center. There's been a lot of talk about the far Western edge perhaps not wanting longer travel but maybe it's schools that would end up shifting divisions not wanting further travel.

Again all this is wild speculation

Take this for what it is, because it's only my personal speculation, but everything I've read recently about the All Nations Football Conference in South Dakota has Winnebago and Omaha Nation joining next year with this scheduling cycle wrapping up. Maybe some schools are worried that if it ends up being a good deal for those schools that they will leave the conference and leave a couple holes in the conference.

Speculation 2 - with the Allen-EH-Wakefield co-op looming there is going to be a shift westward as far as the conference center. There's been a lot of talk about the far Western edge perhaps not wanting longer travel but maybe it's schools that would end up shifting divisions not wanting further travel.

Again all this is wild speculation

http://www.sdpb.org/blogs/sports-an...l-league-the-all-nations-football-conference/

I can see why this would be appealing to Omaha Nation and Bago. Interesting concept. Are these schools playing 9 or 11 man? Wonder of Walthill and Santee would consider it as well.

Last edited:
They are playing 9 man. I don't think it would appeal to Santee for that reason. I've seen them barely able to field a 6 man team some years. But proximity to those schools in South Dakota would work well for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT