ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ****Boys State Tournament Brackets (Final Results)****

You really need ME to define that for you?
Yes please. I am curious what YOU think is the value and aspect of high school sports. I assume it is a very long answer??? You have a lot of opinions, but this is a real important one. My answer would probably be about a page long, but that is just me. I assume you are a coach (by your screen name, but I could be wrong) so it would be interesting to hear what your beliefs are about the young men or women you are entrusted to by their parents.

I saw NC in January, they are big and physical. The Knights know where the weights are. But offensively, they aren't that impressive. They've hit 60 only seven times this year. Amherst has hit over 60, in 17 games this year.

Amherst scores in bunches. If they run up and down the court, and score quick, that is going to be big edge for the Broncos.

I saw NC in January, they are big and physical. The Knights know where the weights are. But offensively, they aren't that impressive. They've hit 60 only seven times this year. Amherst has hit over 60, in 17 games this year.

Amherst scores in bunches. If they run up and down the court, and score quick, that is going to be big edge for the Broncos.
Amherst played 12 games vs smaller classes, NC played 2.
NC played 13 games vs a higher class, Amherst played 6 such games.
From purely looking at the stats, looks like it will be an interesting matchup for sure.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
NC benefits from this playing a tough schedule but they lack perimeter shooting and depth. They play a very average 2-3 zone. Cedar is much deeper and has better play makers.
Overall the better defensive teams will rise to the top. I like freeman and cedar for that reason
Good luck this week to all players

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Elkhorn valley is a very well coached team. They have some nice athletes and could surprise a few down at state. Only downfall is they play a very weak schedule

NC played GICC 9 days after playing a football game. So one can assume not pretty??? Wasn't at the game. Guess it will be a war of two different styles. Physical and defensive against the reliance on 3's? Should be fun to watch if anything! Carter Ruse might have something to say about the best in C2 IMHO.
Not gonna disagree with Ruse at all. I hope we get to see em head to head in the finals.

Amherst played 12 games vs smaller classes, NC played 2.
NC played 13 games vs a higher class, Amherst played 6 such games.
From purely looking at the stats, looks like it will be an interesting matchup for sure.
Good and relevant observation.

Good and relevant observation.
I feel C2 has tons of parity this year.

Freeman looks battle tested and has a veteran group of very talented athletes.

EV while a little inexperienced, has a lot of fire power on offense. Biggest challenge is overcoming nerves, settling in and getting stops on defense.

Norfolk Catholic while challenged offensively, will have a ton of athletes on the floor and very physical.

Cedar has a pretty balanced and veteran group and can be a challenge to matchup with.

Tri County is fearless and has knocked off Freeman while managing a strong schedule.

Amherst is similar to EV in that they seem to have alot of offensive weapons and played a decent schedule to date.

Gordon Rushville probably the least likely to make a run with a softer schedule compared to the field.

DT is young and fearless, maybe too young to feel the pressure. Not the strongest schedule but has taken care of business to date.

I agree
C2 is hard to predict. I have personally watched EV, Cedar,NC, and Tri county. Cedar was definitely the most complete team. Tri county the weakest. With EV and NC being a toss up each of these two have different strengths and weaknesses.
Can’t wait for the ball to be tossed up

Reactions: NeNebraskaGuru

EV while a little inexperienced, has a lot of fire power on offense. Biggest challenge is overcoming nerves, settling in and getting stops on defense.

Norfolk Catholic while challenged offensively, will have a ton of athletes on the floor and very physical.

Cedar has a pretty balanced and veteran group and can be a challenge to matchup with.

Tri County is fearless and has knocked off Freeman while managing a strong schedule.

Amherst is similar to EV in that they seem to have alot of offensive weapons and played a decent schedule to date.

Gordon Rushville probably the least likely to make a run with a softer schedule compared to the field.

DT is young and fearless, maybe too young to feel the pressure. Not the strongest schedule but has taken care of business to date.
Excellent analysis! Spot on. Gonna be fun for all these teams!

Yes please. I am curious what YOU think is the value and aspect of high school sports. I assume it is a very long answer??? You have a lot of opinions, but this is a real important one. My answer would probably be about a page long, but that is just me. I assume you are a coach (by your screen name, but I could be wrong) so it would be interesting to hear what your beliefs are about the young men or women you are entrusted to by their parents.
You probably need to develop your own. Or perhaps start a thread to that effect.

Reactions: NeNebraskaGuru

I have a theory that it's really hard to win it all on your first trip to state. Maybe it happens more than I think, but in C/D it seems teams win it as part of a run of really good kids. For EV and DT this might be their taste that gets them over the top...NEXT year. Using that theory (If it holds any water) probably limits the likely champs to Freeman, Amherst, NC, or HCC. Thanks for your synopsis!

Last edited:
CLASS C2
First Round - Thursday, March 9
Devaney Center

#1 Freeman (26-1) - 48
#8 Gordon-Rushville (17-4) 32

#4 Hartington Cedar Catholic (22-4) - 52
#5 Elkhorn Valley (23-2) 44

#2 Amherst (24-1) - 1:30 PM 60
#7 Norfolk Catholic (18-7) 51

#3 Doniphan-Trumbull (24-2) - 40
#6 Tri County (23-4) 45

Freeman over HCC
Amherst over Tri county

Freeman over Amherst

I've seen Amherst a couple times this year and it's crazy how basically everyone on the team can shoot. When they're playing well and a couple guys get hot they can just bury opponents. Amherst vs. Freeman should be a really fun final.

Big upset in C1 first round this morning....#8 Auburn knocks out #1 Wahoo 47-44.
Auburn had the perfect game plan for this game, and there was nothing Wahoo could do about it.
Auburn slowed the game down, dominated ball possession, and didn't give up much in transition.

Great game and great win by Auburn.

2nd straight year Wahoo has seriously gagged as the #1. Bet they like my idea of using the old, wildcard method. :cool:

I'll say it. Wahoo wins if there is a shot clock in C1. Some classes playing by one set of rules and other classes not is asinine to me. Imagine doing that in another sport...say football. One class you have a 40 second play clock, the other you have unlimited time between plays. No thanks.

That isn't intended to be a shot at Auburn. They played their game and it was within the rules. I just think as a state, we shouldn't allow some rules to apply in one class but not another. Forget the class caucus and all of that.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Auburn had the perfect game plan for this game, and there was nothing Wahoo could do about it.
Auburn slowed the game down, dominated ball possession, and didn't give up much in transition.

Great game and great win by Auburn.
Everyone and their mother knew this was Auburn’s game plan though. Wahoo didn’t have any counter for it??

Everyone and their mother knew this was Auburn’s game plan though. Wahoo didn’t have any counter for it??
What are you going to do? Weeks/Auburn is the living personification of how you control the pace of a game with no shot clock. I personally hate it, but I totally accept that he's smart and knows how to win that way. I appreciate what they do.

I'll say it. Wahoo wins if there is a shot clock in C1. Some classes playing by one set of rules and other classes not is asinine to me. Imagine doing that in another sport...say football. One class you have a 40 second play clock, the other you have unlimited time between plays. No thanks.

That isn't intended to be a shot at Auburn. They played their game and it was within the rules. I just think as a state, we shouldn't allow some rules to apply in one class but not another. Forget the class caucus and all of that.
This.

You can "say" it all you want. Can't prove it. There are all sorts of things built into basketball that make your analogy invalid. You have 10 seconds to cross midcourt. 5 seconds to dribble, 5 seconds to hold the ball. Would you like a football rule that requires every other play to be a pass, regardless of the score or situation? THAT is what a shot clock is. If you don't want a team to slow it down, do something. Like get a steal, rebound, take the freaking lead. Duh. I LOVE the strategic element of using pace, tempo, etc. I've seen teams take the air out too soon and not get their rhythm back when needed. Teams that are behind that simply can't go fast enough. Basketball would be far, far worse forcing every team to play exactly the same.

You can "say" it all you want. Can't prove it. There are all sorts of things built into basketball that make your analogy invalid. You have 10 seconds to cross midcourt. 5 seconds to dribble, 5 seconds to hold the ball. Would you like a football rule that requires every other play to be a pass, regardless of the score or situation? THAT is what a shot clock is. If you don't want a team to slow it down, do something. Like get a steal, rebound, take the freaking lead. Duh. I LOVE the strategic element of using pace, tempo, etc. I've seen teams take the air out too soon and not get their rhythm back when needed. Teams that are behind that simply can't go fast enough. Basketball would be far, far worse forcing every team to play exactly the same.
A shot clock doesn't force teams to play the exact same. It forces teams throughout the state to play by the same rules (we either have it or we don't). We currently don't have that element of uniformity. That's the point. And again, I am not faulting Auburn. I just think it is absurd that kids could literally be neighbors and play by different rules. One kid is at Kearney High, the other is at Kearney Catholic.

A shot clock doesn't force teams to play the exact same. It forces teams throughout the state to play by the same rules (we either have it or we don't). We currently don't have that element of uniformity. That's the point. And again, I am not faulting Auburn. I just think it is absurd that kids could literally be neighbors and play by different rules. One kid is at Kearney High, the other is at Kearney Catholic.
Rules don't have to be a suicide pact. If A guys can't coach, let them keep the shot clock. I could care less. If you insist, I guess, it goes away for Class A. Fair enough.

Correct, Wahoo didn't have a counter for it. Yes, anyone that has any ideas about Wahoo basketball (averaging 70 points per game would know what the game plan should be. I am certain Wahoo knew what the game plan would be.

Pretty impressive what Auburn just did. Everyone in the gym knew what they were going to do and Wahoo couldn't stop it from happening. Really impressive.

Rules don't have to be a suicide pact. If A guys can't coach, let them keep the shot clock. I could care less. If you insist, I guess, it goes away for Class A. Fair enough.
I don't believe having a shot clock, something they will have at every level of basketball moving forward, is anywhere close to a suicide pact. I would also contest the statement that guys that "can't coach" need a shot clock. I suspect John Wooden, Dean Smith, Jay Wright, etc... would agree with me. But I digress.

I don't personally believe there is anything wrong with different classes having different rules.

We have 3 football divisions with 3 completely different sets of rules. I don't see what the issue is with the same logic applying to basketball.

I also don't buy into the idea that a Shot Clock would have produced a different result in the Wahoo vs Auburn game this morning. Any idea that that Auburn coaching staff couldn't figure out a game plan with a shot clock is a little insulting to the collective accomplishments of that group.

What would have effected the end result of that game would have been for Wahoo to apply intense ball pressure from the opening tip and literally run Auburn into the ground. Guard every inch of the court and don't allow the Auburn ball handlers to take so much as a peaceful breath. I was shocked that Wahoo didn't do that. I figured that would be their game plan. What do I know. Ha!

I can’t ever see the class D schools having a shot clock but I hope im wrong there. It should be universal at all levels of basketball IMO

I don't believe having a shot clock, something they will have at every level of basketball moving forward, is anywhere close to a suicide pact. I would also contest the statement that guys that "can't coach" need a shot clock. I suspect John Wooden, Dean Smith, Jay Wright, etc... would agree with me. But I digress.
Oh boy...First let's set some facts. Wooden never coached with a shot clock. He, instead of pushing to simplify the game, developed his 2-2-1 trap to deal with teams that were even slower than him. Dean Smith? You mean the guy who CAUSED the shot clock with the '82 ACC final? The four corner guy? In fairness he didn't hate the shot clock. He knew that almost every time his guys would be better than everybody else and more possessions meant his talent would more likely prevail. Digressing is understandable, not researching is another. The shot clock prizes talent more than coaching, more than team, more than anything. Again, if Class A wants to get rid of the thing that was a gimmick for the NBA, fine. I have ZERO interest in following guys who are so freaking entitled that they are too good to play a consolation game. I can't wait to "improve" basketball by making it even more poorly played, with more ill chosen shots, and even worse offensive execution!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT