ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ****Boys State Tournament Brackets (Final Results)****

I don’t understand the strategy argument it makes little sense to me.
For example:
Let’s say 1:10 left in a tie game. No shot
Clock. You’re gonna pass the ball around piss away the minute and take a last second shot.

Now with a shot clock you’re prob gonna try to get a quick shot to guarantee another possession and then you’re gonna play D. There’s gonna be three possessions minimum. There’s gonna be excitement and movement and your kids are gonna have to adjust on the fly to the situation. It’s so much better.
It's different, it's not necessarily better.

@HighPlainsCoach talked about the football analogy but I'm going to come at it from a little bit different angle.

Tom Osborne used a coaching style that basically chewed clock. He said it openly, work the clock from the opening kick-off. Don't run out of bounds. Keep the clock moving and play defense with your offense. In essence, Osborne ran a true stall game. We loved it because it worked. He ran it because it worked for the athletes he had to work with.

You know who hated it, any of our opponents with high octane offenses. Their margin for error was almost zero. Go 3 and out a few times and it's game over.

It allowed Osborne to build a dynasty, and compete with strategy, ingenuity, and creative thinking. Nebraska football has not been the same since we abandoned that philosophy.

If you truly don't understand the strategy idea behind no shot clock, watch a replay of that Auburn vs Wahoo game. While watching, remember that Wahoo AVERAGED almost 70 points a game. Not being a smart ass, there's no shame in legitimately not understanding something.

As coaches, our job is to develop a plan around the talent that we have available to us. We tailor a system to our strengths and try like hell to keep our weaknesses unexposed. For many teams, a shot clock creates a challenge that they simply are not staffed to overcome. Again, I'm talking about the lower classes from top to bottom. I'm not talking about the teams in Lincoln.

It's personal preference and I understand that. I see why many favor a shot clock. I simply prefer no shot clock.

It's different, it's not necessarily better.

@HighPlainsCoach talked about the football analogy but I'm going to come at it from a little bit different angle.

Tom Osborne used a coaching style that basically chewed clock. He said it openly, work the clock from the opening kick-off. Don't run out of bounds. Keep the clock moving and play defense with your offense. In essence, Osborne ran a true stall game. We loved it because it worked. He ran it because it worked for the athletes he had to work with.

You know who hated it, any of our opponents with high octane offenses. Their margin for error was almost zero. Go 3 and out a few times and it's game over.

It allowed Osborne to build a dynasty, and compete with strategy, ingenuity, and creative thinking. Nebraska football has not been the same since we abandoned that philosophy.

If you truly don't understand the strategy idea behind no shot clock, watch a replay of that Auburn vs Wahoo game. While watching, remember that Wahoo AVERAGED almost 70 points a game. Not being a smart ass, there's no shame in legitimately not understanding something.

As coaches, our job is to develop a plan around the talent that we have available to us. We tailor a system to our strengths and try like hell to keep our weaknesses unexposed. For many teams, a shot clock creates a challenge that they simply are not staffed to overcome. Again, I'm talking about the lower classes from top to bottom. I'm not talking about the teams in Lincoln.

It's personal preference and I understand that. I see why many favor a shot clock. I simply prefer no shot clock.
I see your point, but he still had to snap the ball on a clock. Shoot the ball. Waste 40 seconds if you want, but shoot the damn ball. I can’t watch it, it’s terrible to watch.

Last edited:
I see your point, but he still had to snap the ball on a clock. Shoot the ball. Waste 40 seconds if you want, but shoot the damn ball. I can’t watch it, it’s terrible to watch.
Now that I support. It's ok to not like a certain style of play.

I like defensive battles in football, and most people don't. They want to see 70 points on the board.

I like small ball in baseball and softball. Most don't.

I like ball control in basketball (not a stall game, ball control).

Basically, I like strategy over pure athleticism. I want to be able to outsmart someone and I want to turn it into a "thinking man's game".

Now that I support. It's ok to not like a certain style of play.

I like defensive battles in football, and most people don't. They want to see 70 points on the board.

I like small ball in baseball and softball. Most don't.

I like ball control in basketball (not a stall game, ball control).

Basically, I like strategy over pure athleticism. I want to be able to outsmart someone and I want to turn it into a "thinking man's game".
Ha, yeah I guess it’s my hang up. I’ll start going to kchs games again when they get a shot clock. until then, I’m watching Kearney High. There’s just a much better flow to the game.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Ok, let's stop arguing about the shot clock and start arguing about the controversial technical that decided the Santee vs. Shelton game.

• Haha
Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Ok, let's stop arguing about the shot clock and start arguing about the controversial technical that decided the Santee vs. Shelton game.
Is this one of those rare calls where if you are going to call a foul it has to be a T? Like slapping the ball out of someone's hands on an inbound play?

The official is holding the ball. I think it is but not sure.

I don't remember?

Reactions: EndzoneView
Is this one of those rare calls where if you are going to call a foul it has to be a T? Like slapping the ball out of someone's hands on an inbound play?

I don't remember?
That's what people are saying on twitter, that it either had to be a no-call or a T. If I'm the ref, I blow the whistle, tell them to knock it off, and go on. But I'm probably wrong.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
That's what people are saying on twitter, that it either had to be a no-call or a T. If I'm the ref, I blow the whistle, tell them to knock it off, and go on. But I'm probably wrong.
I don't disagree. It's not as if the bump was of any consequence. The official hadn't put the ball in play.

Reactions: mgbreis

I don't remember?
That's exactly the case. The ball had not been handed to the player ready to inbound it. Therefore any violation HAS to be a technical. And real-time, that looks like a foul. The official doesn't get the benefit of looking at replays and at different angles. He sees contact and a player go down while he was still holding the ball. I officiate quite a bit.....I probably would have made the same call. It was a very unfortunate way to end that game.

Original post updated with Day #2 scores

Summary of Semifinal matchups below

STATE SEMIFINALS - FRIDAY, MARCH 10

at Pinnacle Bank Arena

9:00 AM (C1) - Auburn vs. Omaha Concordia
10:45 AM (C1) - Ogallala vs. Ashland-Greenwood

1:30 PM (B) - Omaha Skutt vs. Crete
3:15 PM (B) - Platteview vs. York

6:00 PM (A) - Bellevue West vs. Omaha Westside
7:45 PM (A) - Millard North vs. Gretna

=====================

at Devaney Center
9:00 AM (D1) - North Platte St. Patrick's vs. Dundy County-Stratton
10:45 AM (D1) - Maywood/Hayes Center vs. Johnson-Brock

1:30 PM (C2) - Freeman vs. Hartington Cedar Catholic
3:15 PM (C2) - Amherst vs. Tri County

6:00 PM (D2) - Wynot vs. Sumner-Eddyville-Miller
7:45 PM (D2) - Shelton vs. Parkview Christian

Horrible that NSAA would allow that crew to officiate that game
Separate the kids and let the game play out

A dead ball foul has to ruled a technical. Tough call but it’s either a no call or a technical in that situation. The kid from Shelton definitely flopped but the kid from Santee definitely elbowed him. It was the right call.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I sat at Devaney all day and saw multiple times where a ref calmed a situation Down rather than stealing the show
First was in cedar elkhorn valley game
Several times an EV kid could have been given a tech
Then in Amherst Norfolk Catholic game
NC kid should’ve been given several techs
Then during the Tri county game
But in all situations the ref talked with the kid or kids and descalated the situation. Which maybe I’m in the minority but I feel that’s the right way to ref. I’ve been a coach ref and player if that matters lol

I sat at Devaney all day and saw multiple times where a ref calmed a situation Down rather than stealing the show
First was in cedar elkhorn valley game
Several times an EV kid could have been given a tech
Then in Amherst Norfolk Catholic game
NC kid should’ve been given several techs
Then during the Tri county game
But in all situations the ref talked with the kid or kids and descalated the situation. Which maybe I’m in the minority but I feel that’s the right way to ref. I’ve been a coach ref and player if that matters lol
Every game is different. Perhaps these players had already been warned. I officiate quite a bit....in this situation, I would have probably made the same call. There was dead ball contact that knocked a player to the floor (very well could have been a flop), but in real time.....tough not to make that call of a foul.

Believe me I was pulling for Santee to win. Just an awful ending. (They also gave up a 16-4 run in the final 1:58....that didn't help much either).

Last edited:

Wow, that was crazy. I understand the contact before the ball is handed for play aspect but come on. Not in that situation. To me no way that's a technical. If the Shelton kid isnt a future Hollywood star it doesn't get called. Classic example of the whistle being a result of the outcome not the act IMO and yes I understand there was an act (no pun intended).

Now, on the flip side, reading comments on Twitter (grain of salt needed), the Santee kid was pushing the envelope all night. Was he previously warned? Regardless, with a 1 point game and 7 seconds to go swallow the whistle. Feel bad for Santee but at the same time, like others are saying, if done by the book it's a T, the Santee kid should never have put the ref in that situation.

Bias
I’m not one to ever criticize refs or kids
That situation could have been handled way better
I have always had a bias in favor of the NE Officiating. We joined the East Husker Conference while my kids were in HS. My general opinion was that they let the kids play, and allowed a physical game to happen.

I'm guessing that this particular player had been "on the edge" before this happened. I could be wrong.

Reactions: mgbreis
Wow, that was crazy. I understand the contact before the ball is handed for play aspect but come on. Not in that situation. To me no way that's a technical. If the Shelton kid isnt a future Hollywood star it doesn't get called. Classic example of the whistle being a result of the outcome not the act IMO and yes I understand there was an act (no pun intended).

Now, on the flip side, reading comments on Twitter (grain of salt needed), the Santee kid was pushing the envelope all night. Was he previously warned? Regardless, with a 1 point game and 7 seconds to go swallow the whistle. Feel bad for Santee but at the same time, like others are saying, if done by the book it's a T, the Santee kid should never have put the ref in that situation.
I think it's critical to note that Shelton was BOTH trying to deny the inbounds, and also fouling to get Santee to the line. So disregard everything prior to that point and KNOW that it's going to be an extremely physical inbounds play. And the tech happened on like the 2nd or 3rd inbound attempt after fouls. To reward the flop under those circumstances is just ludicrous. I totally understand that the Santee kid was pushing the envelope earlier but that only makes me fault the refs even more. Give him a tech earlier in the game and likely this never happens, and instead the ref does it here and decides the game. Boo.

I think it's critical to note that Shelton was BOTH trying to deny the inbounds, and also fouling to get Santee to the line. So disregard everything prior to that point and KNOW that it's going to be an extremely physical inbounds play. And the tech happened on like the 2nd or 3rd inbound attempt after fouls. To reward the flop under those circumstances is just ludicrous. I totally understand that the Santee kid was pushing the envelope earlier but that only makes me fault the refs even more. Give him a tech earlier in the game and likely this never happens, and instead the ref does it here and decides the game. Boo.
There is only 2 things in effect on the play.
1- was it a foul on the Santee player?
2- if yes to #1, the official still had the ball, therefore it's a dead ball foul & a technical must be administered. If no to #1, then the inbounds play goes on.

Refs do not "decide" games, period.

Couple interesting nuggets of info from the GOAT Mike Sautter. 19 empty possessions in the first quarter. 8 empty possessions in the 2nd quarter for a combined 27 empty possessions in the half.

There is only 2 things in effect on the play.
1- was it a foul on the Santee player?
2- if yes to #1, the official still had the ball, therefore it's a dead ball foul & a technical must be administered. If no to #1, then the inbounds play goes on.

Refs do not "decide" games, period.
No, it wasn't a foul. It was two hyper competitive kids scrapping at the end of the game. The ref, with the ball under his arm, should've told them both to knock it off and instead he decided the game.

No, it wasn't a foul. It was two hyper competitive kids scrapping at the end of the game. The ref, with the ball under his arm, should've told them both to knock it off and instead he decided the game.
The ref decided the game.... This is the world our kids are raised in.
How about coaches teach not "scrapping" until the inbounder has the ball? Or running clock when your up 8 late in the game?

And this is from a guy who was pulling like hell for Santee.

Ha, yeah I guess it’s my hang up. I’ll start going to kchs games again when they get a shot clock. until then, I’m watching Kearney High. There’s just a much better flow to the game.

2/4 Northeast 47 @ Kearney High 32
2/25 Pius 40 @ Kearney High 42

With the shot clock.

The ref decided the game.... This is the world our kids are raised in.
How about coaches teach not "scrapping" until the inbounder has the ball? Or running clock when your up 8 late in the game?

And this is from a guy who was pulling like hell for Santee.
I raise my kids just fine. Somehow I managed to raise a state champion. Still think this was a bullshit call and that the ref decided the game. I wasn't pulling for either team.

2/4 Northeast 47 @ Kearney High 32
2/25 Pius 40 @ Kearney High 42

With the shot clock.
Cool, nobody said a shot-clock was gonna make shooters better. I was at the Pius game. It was physical and played at a slower pace. Pius dominated the inside but couldn’t hit a bucket from outside to save their life. You know what was better, the end of the game.

Every game is different. Perhaps these players had already been warned. I officiate quite a bit....in this situation, I would have probably made the same call. There was dead ball contact that knocked a player to the floor (very well could have been a flop), but in real time.....tough not to make that call of a foul.

Believe me I was pulling for Santee to win. Just an awful ending. (They also gave up a 16-4 run in the final 1:58....that didn't help much either).
There’s another video on Facebook somewhere from like a higher vantage point that shows both refs calling a foul at basically the same time. So even if people wanna say the on ball ref was wrong the other one at half court with a different vantage point also was going to call it. I feel like they got it right, it can be a flop and a foul at the same time.

There’s another video on Facebook somewhere from like a higher vantage point that shows both refs calling a foul at basically the same time. So even if people wanna say the on ball ref was wrong the other one at half court with a different vantage point also was going to call it. I feel like they got it right, it can be a flop and a foul at the same time.
Good point, just because a kid dramatizes the contact with a flop doesn't mean that there wasn't a foul.

It was the correct call. That official saw the kid do it earlier in the game and gave him the benefit of the doubt. However, the second one he wasn't getting away with. Dirty player, glad they lost!

That's exactly the case. The ball had not been handed to the player ready to inbound it. Therefore any violation HAS to be a technical. And real-time, that looks like a foul. The official doesn't get the benefit of looking at replays and at different angles. He sees contact and a player go down while he was still holding the ball. I officiate quite a bit.....I probably would have made the same call. It was a very unfortunate way to end that game.
Apparently to 1 twitter user, you're a racists, LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT