ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ****Boys State Tournament Brackets (Final Results)****

No, it wasn't a foul. It was two hyper competitive kids scrapping at the end of the game. The ref, with the ball under his arm, should've told them both to knock it off and instead he decided the game.
After looking at replays and multiple angles, yeah, it may not have been a foul. In real-time, two highly qualified and certified officials called foul....and I would have too at that point. Again, an unfortunate way to end the game, but I don't have any issue with the call. And no, the refs did not "decide" the game on that call any more than they didn't decide it on any other call they made throughout the course of the contest.

After looking at replays and multiple angles, yeah, it may not have been a foul. In real-time, two highly qualified and certified officials called foul....and I would have too at that point. Again, an unfortunate way to end the game, but I don't have any issue with the call. And no, the refs did not "decide" the game on that call any more than they didn't decide it on any other call they made throughout the course of the contest.
Here is the issue I have. If the Shelton kid doesn't flop does the ref make the same call? While we'll never know, but I don't think they do. I give credit to the Shelton kid, it was a smart and heady move which very likely changed the outcome of the game. But again, the foul, IMO, was called as a result of the flop not the elbow. I know what the rule says, but very few if any refs make that call if the kid doesn't flop.

Here is the issue I have. If the Shelton kid doesn't flop does the ref make the same call? While we'll never know, but I don't think they do. I give credit to the Shelton kid, it was a smart and heady move which very likely changed the outcome of the game. But again, the foul, IMO, was called as a result of the flop not the elbow. I know what the rule says, but very few if any refs make that call if the kid doesn't flop.
You could say this about charges & blocks too. Players react to try & get a call quite a bit.

I get what you're saying and I think you're right, the call probably isn't made if Shelton kid doesn't flop. But when you see it for the first time in real time (without looking for a flop), it looks legit. Especially with the Santee kid extending his arm out.

Reactions: BugDumbDane
so because it is the state tournament it should be officiated differently then if it was a regual season game. interesting thought a wrong one but very interesting.
The kids and coaches are expected to bring there best to the state tournament.. so should the officials
I think it could have been handled differently

20 years ago, if this happens the blame is 100% on the kid! This day and age we blame the adults? The Santee kid threw the elbow and it wasn't the first one of the night! The Shelton sees an elbow coming towards him and while trying to avoid it gets hit and it's a flop? Seems like they made the right call!

Reactions: BigGridironGuy
Doesn't matter. The kid went down the call was made. We don't need to go down this theoretical road of what-ifs and whatabouts. What happened happened. I feel the right call was made in the moment. If you feel differently, that's fine and your right to do so.

20 years ago, if this happens the blame is 100% on the kid! This day and age we blame the adults? The Santee kid threw the elbow and it wasn't the first one of the night! The Shelton sees an elbow coming towards him and while trying to avoid it gets hit and it's a flop? Seems like they made the right call!

Amen. Best reply on this whole thread.

Unfortunate situation. A mature kid would not have thrown even a slight elbow up 1 w 7 seconds left… if they were truly focused on winning an amazing ballgame up to that point.

Case closed.

Doesn't matter. The kid went down the call was made. We don't need to go down this theoretical road of what-ifs and whatabouts. What happened happened. I feel the right call was made in the moment. If you feel differently, that's fine and your right to do so.
Yep, agree to disagree.

As far as the what-ifs and whatabouts......this is a message board right?

Reactions: peyton00
2/4 Northeast 47 @ Kearney High 32
2/25 Pius 40 @ Kearney High 42

With the shot clock.
And I, for one, am thrilled to death at the possibility of seeing even more crappy shots, poor execution, and a watered down version of cbb! Why should we do a shot clock? Easy... well... because! And my team might be behind late! Or my coach not smart enough to learn strategy!

Dang, good on Dundy County/Stratton. It's amazing how close they can keep games with only 6 deep.

5 losses, 3 of those to #2 Maywood/Hayes-Center and the other 2 to #1 NPSP.
Even moreso, they erased a 9 pt lead. Really felt like NPSP was on the verge of blowing it open. Tough kids.

Reactions: HuskerO
And I, for one, am thrilled to death at the possibility of seeing even more crappy shots, poor execution, and a watered down version of cbb! Why should we do a shot clock? Easy... well... because! And my team might be behind late! Or my coach not smart enough to learn strategy!
Weird post. I feel like you probably get super excited when you see a nice bounce pass and like to yell PALMING all game.

I didn’t realize so many people loved to watch worthless passes around the three point line….it does get exciting when they skip a player sometimes. It’s also fun to watch the end of games when teams slow it down for the last few minutes and the free throw contest starts. What’s more exciting than free throws…..nothing I guess.

Well, probably later today we can move on from arguing about that call and start arguing about Parkview Christian's place in the world of Nebraska HS basketball.
I agree. Was going to start a "Parkview Christian Haters" thread last week, but thought it best to wait until they actually win it. I don't know the proper etiquette for these type of posts.

I agree. Was going to start a "Parkview Christian Haters" thread last week, but thought it best to wait until they actually win it. I don't know the proper etiquette for these type of posts.
Well, just to tie everything a tidy loop I'll just say I hope Parkview beats Shelton and then I can start complaining about Parkview's advantages! (kidding, kinda)

Weird post. I feel like you probably get super excited when you see a nice bounce pass and like to yell PALMING all game.

I didn’t realize so many people loved to watch worthless passes around the three point line….it does get exciting when they skip a player sometimes. It’s also fun to watch the end of games when teams slow it down for the last few minutes and the free throw contest starts. What’s more exciting than free throws…..nothing I guess.
Admittedly, good basketball can be very tough on short attention spans and casual fans. Chess vs checkers mentality i guess!

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT