ADVERTISEMENT

Football High seeds hosting playoff games.

Should the high seed host throughout the semi-finals?

• Yes

Votes: 72 73.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • If the low seed wins, neutral site

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
Thoughts on the current format of the high seed having to travel before the finals? Too me it’s BS that teams like Gretna, Norfolk Catholic, Mullen, Riverside, Ponca have to travel this week because the #9 beat the #8. It’s cool GINW, Aquinas, Giltner, Hay Springs and Battle Creek won, good for them but I don’t agree with it.

I think the high seed should always host. They deserve too for the work they’ve put in during the regular season. An upset outside of their control shouldn’t dictate where they play. The OWH just talked about this the other day and that got me thinking about it.

Or what about meeting at a neutral site?

Catholic vs Aquinas at Columbus (on field turf)

Gretna vs GINW at Concordia in Seward

Mullen vs Giltner at Cozad

Ponca vs Battle Creek at Wayne (field turf)

Riverside vs Hay Springs at Ainsworth

Last edited:
Reactions: nenebskers
I agree but I’ll be a bit of an antoganist here. To me this goes back to the root problem, the power point system. Some teams benefit from a light schedule and end up higher in the point system, and then lose right away in the playoffs, while a lower seeded team may be much better but played a tough schedule and lost a couple close games. Take yutan for example, does anyone really believe they are the 12th best team in C2? They got a low seed but showed they are much better with an “upset” of the 5 seed, why shouldn’t they be rewarded for that? Does the NSAA pay for travel? If it does then yes the lower seed should always travel, but if it does not that would get expensive for a school that got hot at the right time. To me there’s just no perfect system.

Reactions: hdendzonecam
I agree but I’ll be a bit of an antoganist here. To me this goes back to the root problem, the power point system. Some teams benefit from a light schedule and end up higher in the point system, and then lose right away in the playoffs, while a lower seeded team may be much better but played a tough schedule and lost a couple close games. Take yutan for example, does anyone really believe they are the 12th best team in C2? They got a low seed but showed they are much better with an “upset” of the 5 seed, why shouldn’t they be rewarded for that? Does the NSAA pay for travel? If it does then yes the lower seed should always travel, but if it does not that would get expensive for a school that got hot at the right time. To me there’s just no perfect system.

I agree with the PowerPoint thought completely but let's not try to make two wrongs equal a right. For every Yutan situation there are 10 Ponca, Gretna, Norfolk Catholic etc... stuations.

I don't believe cost is an issue either. We're talking about at most four games or five in D and again the rare likelihood, not that it doesn't happen, that a higher seed makes it that far.

Reactions: ImN
The question says through out the semi finals so high seed gets home game when there is 4 teams left then off to Memorial Stadium. Are we talking about changing it so high seed is home all through the playoffs?

The question says through out the semi finals so high seed gets home game when there is 4 teams left then off to Memorial Stadium. Are we talking about changing it so high seed is home all through the playoffs?
Yes. In my opinion a team like Norfolk Catholic or Mullen (both #1 seeds) should host at home until they reach Memorial Stadium.

Reactions: ImN
Higher seed should host. Not sure why the neutral field site would even be in the conversation if the argument is the higher seed has earned the right through its play to have the advantage of playing at home, not to mention the added expense to a neutral field will be.

I’ll be the devils advocate and say I like it the way it is. Just from a pride standpoint, I loved going to opposing teams home field’s and ending their season.

I saw a response to Dirk's tweet today that has some validity. What if there are 5 undefeated teams in a class. The team that is seeded 5th can not control their schedule, so it's hard to say "Play a better schedule.", and they also did their job and went undefeated. Why shouldn't their school get to host a game if they upset the #4 team?

Higher seed should host. Not sure why the neutral field site would even be in the conversation if the argument is the higher seed has earned the right through its play to have the advantage of playing at home, not to mention the added expense to a neutral field will be.
I only added the neutral site selection because some stated they liked how East Butler is playing Nebraska Christian at Shelby. But I agree higher seed should always host no doubt.

I saw a response to Dirk's tweet today that has some validity. What if there are 5 undefeated teams in a class. The team that is seeded 5th can not control their schedule, so it's hard to say "Play a better schedule.", and they also did their job and went undefeated. Why shouldn't their school get to host a game if they upset the #4 team?

Too many ifs and buts for me. Error on the side of likelihood, not an odd scenario that may play out every so often. Just because something can happen doesn't mean we should throw out all logic for what happens the majority of time.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I've always believed that the higher seed should host the game, regardless of what has happened throughout the bracket. I also feel that going into the finals the higher seed should have the option to choose whether the game is played in their home stadium or at Memorial Stadium. I realize that makes things more difficult for NET, but this isn't about NET, it is about the kids playing the game. Worst case scenario, put the game on Striv or live stream it or whatever. Individual games are broadcast on TV throughout the year, I can't imagine that this would be that tough to pull off.

I guess I don't understand how anyone can say that "the #1 seed should host until the finals". Why should the finals be any different? If you earn the #1 seed, you shouldn't have to leave home. That is just my opinion, though I know it won't be popular. Some teams might choose to play in Memorial Stadium, but I think there are teams that would choose to play at home.

hammertherock, what does hiring of officials have to do with where playoff games should be played. how does that even get into this conversation. I do though agree with most of the posters on here in saying the higher seed should stay home in the playoffs, that is a reward for doing what you are supposed to do in the regular season.

hailvictors2 --

You believe the highest seed should host all the way through the finals. What would you tell Creighton if we followed your scenario, and they played West Holt in the final?

Creighton (8-0) beat West Holt (7-1) in the regular season, but West Holt would get to host the final because they have a higher power point rating.

hammertherock, what does hiring of officials have to do with where playoff games should be played. how does that even get into this conversation. I do though agree with most of the posters on here in saying the higher seed should stay home in the playoffs, that is a reward for doing what you are supposed to do in the regular season.

Just playing devils advocate. If Fairbury had advanced to play Boys Town in C1 semifinals, or if Centennial and Acadia-Loup City meet in the C2 semifinals, what did that #2 team do that the #3 team didn't.....that the #3 team could control?

I do see the reason to have top seeds stay home. It makes sense. There has to be a way to "split the pie" that works also. Talking to a couple small school ADs, the money from concessions, special seating that they auction off, and saved by not traveling is very important to their athletic department budget.

Once again, the current system of playoff points helps teams with poor schedules. Reward teams who play tough competition by making a loss to a top team worth more than 36 points. When beating a Div 4 team is worth 5 points more, teams who played tougher schedules are penalized in comparison. There is no reason to have a different rating system then basketball in my opinion. With an an easy schedule you can expect a high playoff seed. Play tougher teams and you just might not get in or you'll get a low seed.

.......Division....D1 D2 D3 D4
Victory over… 50 47 44 41
........Loss to… 36 33 30 27

In Basketball
Victory over.......50 47 44 41
..........Loss to....39 36 33 30

No reason for these two to be different.

In regards to the home field, I think once you get to semis, the higher seed should host unless the other team has not hosted a game yet.

hailvictors2 --

You believe the highest seed should host all the way through the finals. What would you tell Creighton if we followed your scenario, and they played West Holt in the final?

Creighton (8-0) beat West Holt (7-1) in the regular season, but West Holt would get to host the final because they have a higher power point rating.

That is an interesting scenario. You could probably add a criteria that says something like this... The higher seed will host all the way through the semi-finals. When the finals match-up is set, the higher seed will have the option to select whether the game is played in Memorial Stadium or in their home stadium. If at any point two teams meet in the playoffs that have previously played in the regular season, the team that won that regular season contest shall be designated as the home team, regardless of power points.

When the finals match-up is set, the higher seed will have the option to select whether the game is played in Memorial Stadium or in their home stadium. If at any point two teams meet in the playoffs that have previously played in the regular season, the team that won that regular season contest shall be designated as the home team, regardless of power points.

It would never fly, nor should it. Not trying to be harsh but that proposal sounds ridiculous. The NSAA, University of Nebraska, and NET can't just be sitting around on call waiting for a school's decision. Logistically there is a lot of things that need to be planned out and there not going to do if for a false alarm.

Power points is an imperfect system. I think we can all agree on that. Teams don't control their own schedules so not all 9-0 records are created equal.

However, it makes no sense that the higher seed hosts all the way through the bracket in Class A but not in the other classes. They are using the same system for seeding so should use the same format for playoffs.

Class C-1 is the best example. Norfolk Catholic played (and beat) seven first or second division teams and they have to go on the road this week to play a team that they have already beaten. This is absolutely not rewarding kids for regular season performance.

Class C-1 is the best example. Norfolk Catholic played (and beat) seven first or second division teams and they have to go on the road this week to play a team that they have already beaten. This is absolutely not rewarding kids for regular season performance.

In C2 #1 seed and undefeated Ponca travels to #9 seed Battle Creek. Ponca already went to Battle Creek and beat them on their home field in September.

Someone pointed this out earlier. A #1 seed has a great potential to go on the road as their second round matchup is the winner of the #8 vs #9 game. Their semifinal match up is also often against the winner of the #4 vs #5 seeds. Both are good chances to go on the road as upsets with these seeds are not unusual.

Power points is an imperfect system. I think we can all agree on that. Teams don't control their own schedules so not all 9-0 records are created equal.

However, it makes no sense that the higher seed hosts all the way through the bracket in Class A but not in the other classes. They are using the same system for seeding so should use the same format for playoffs.

Norfolk Catholic has not played Aquinas this season. The last time they played was during last seasons playoff where Aquinas won.

It would never fly, nor should it. Not trying to be harsh but that proposal sounds ridiculous. The NSAA, University of Nebraska, and NET can't just be sitting around on call waiting for a school's decision. Logistically there is a lot of things that need to be planned out and there not going to do if for a false alarm.
Agree. I’ve been apart of a state title crew for NET. It’s hard as hell to get everything set up. Can’t expect them to just drive to McCook or Norfolk. It’s a tough job that takes hours. Memorial stadium is the only stadium that can make it work.

A big reason why I don’t think State volleyball or basketball will move ever again. NET being in Lincoln is very helpful.

Agree. I’ve been apart of a state title crew for NET. It’s hard as hell to get everything set up. Can’t expect them to just drive to McCook or Norfolk. It’s a tough job that takes hours. Memorial stadium is the only stadium that can make it work.

A big reason why I don’t think State volleyball or basketball will move ever again. NET being in Lincoln is very helpful.
That's incorrect, Memorial Stadium is not the only stadium that can pull it off. In fact, it gets pulled off every week. There is a live broadcast from a new stadium every week throughout the state. It really isn't hard at all to set up. Setting it up in Norfolk or McCook wouldn't be much trouble. Do you guys realize how illogical you sound saying the higher team should host until the finals? Why wouldn't the higher team host the finals, too? You can't get on a soap box and preach about how unfair it is that the #1 seed is on the road in the quarterfinals, but then ask them to go on the road in the finals. That's nothing buy hypocritical.

In C2 #1 seed and undefeated Ponca travels to #9 seed Battle Creek. Ponca already went to Battle Creek and beat them on their home field in September.

Someone pointed this out earlier. A #1 seed has a great potential to go on the road as their second round matchup is the winner of the #8 vs #9 game. Their semifinal match up is also often against the winner of the #4 vs #5 seeds. Both are good chances to go on the road as upsets with these seeds are not unusual.
So how can you be against them going on the road in the quarters, but ok with them having to go to Lincoln for the finals and possibly play Lincoln Lutheran....which would be a home game for the 11 seed?

That's incorrect, Memorial Stadium is not the only stadium that can pull it off. In fact, it gets pulled off every week. There is a live broadcast from a new stadium every week throughout the state. It really isn't hard at all to set up. Setting it up in Norfolk or McCook wouldn't be much trouble. Do you guys realize how illogical you sound saying the higher team should host until the finals? Why wouldn't the higher team host the finals, too? You can't get on a soap box and preach about how unfair it is that the #1 seed is on the road in the quarterfinals, but then ask them to go on the road in the finals. That's nothing buy hypocritical.
Because every kid works their tail off and dreams of playing at Memorial Stadium? If you're saying they should play the championship game at a home field, and take away the opportunity to play on the same turf as Nebraska, I strongly disagree. NET provides some top notch coverage of the state championships. It would be nearly impossible for them to set up and carry out their whole broadcast anywhere other than Memorial. What happens with the 3 games in one day? Is NET supposed to have 3 different crews in each town that the championship is played? Or would you rather go the StrivTV airing the championship route? Nothing against StrivTV as I think they do amazing work, but I think that the kids who clawed and scratched to get to the final round should be able to play at Memorial Stadium should be aired on live TV.

I too stated on a prior thread that high seed should host up until the finals; with finals at Memorial stadium. I think the finals is a different situation. For example, in the 32 team brackets where things are broken down east/west. Top seeds on each side may be undefeated going into the finals. You want that game to take place on a neutral field, a la Super Bowl and College Football Playoff.

We've all acknowledged the flaws of the PP system. It's not perfect. So you can acknowledge that the higher seed should get the most benefit out of the system (give them higher seeds and home field for most of the playoff), but don't completely stack the deck against the entire rest of the playoff field. At some point, let's see if they really are the best team and put the last two teams on a neutral field and see what happens. The NBA/MLB/NHL are leagues that have championships determined by series, where each team gets a chance to play at home (with one team getting an advantage of having more home games than the other). NFL can't do that. There is no chance for that other team to get a chance at home and see what they can do. Your reward for being the best team in the regular season? Home field...until the SB. The Power 5 all (I think all at this point) play conference championship games at neutral sites. It should be the same for high school football.

I've played on some dog crap fields in C football that would have no business being the site of a winner take all championship game (both from the player's perspective and the facilities for the fans being completely inadequate).

Bottom line, it's a balancing act. We want to give the team that won the regular season a reward. But we also want to make sure that when we're down to 2 teams, that one team is not seriously disadvantaged because of a team's crappy facilities in which one team would be completely used to them and one never set foot on it until the morning of the game (horrible footing after 9 games games had been played on it, press box that is barely 9 feet off the ground, absolutely no locker room for the team in late November). Believing a team should get home field advantage until the finals, but have the championship played at a neutral site does not have to be inherently hypocritical. I feel like it's a distinctly different game that should be treated differently than the games leading up to it.

Because every kid works their tail off and dreams of playing at Memorial Stadium? If you're saying they should play the championship game at a home field, and take away the opportunity to play on the same turf as Nebraska, I strongly disagree. NET provides some top notch coverage of the state championships. It would be nearly impossible for them to set up and carry out their whole broadcast anywhere other than Memorial. What happens with the 3 games in one day? Is NET supposed to have 3 different crews in each town that the championship is played? Or would you rather go the StrivTV airing the championship route? Nothing against StrivTV as I think they do amazing work, but I think that the kids who clawed and scratched to get to the final round should be able to play at Memorial Stadium should be aired on live TV.
You really think "every kid works and dreams of playing in Memorial Stadium"? Maybe 15 years ago when Nebraska was relevant. Now....not so much. Nebraska hasn't played in a meaningful game since 2001, and that was a game they had no business playing in. The kids that are playing today have never seen Nebraska be relevant on the national scene in their lifetime, and they likely never will. In 1996 when the finals moved to Memorial Stadium it all made sense. Nebraska was coming off 2 national titles and won a share of a third the next season.

My point is that now playing at Memorial Stadium isn't what it was 20 years ago when this started. I just think the higher seed should have the choice. If they want to play in Lincoln, so be it. I just believe that if they earn home field advantage by earning the #1 seed than nothing should take that from them unless they willingly give it up.

As for setting up TV coverage, again I say for the 3rd time, it happens every single week. There is a Nebraska High School game on local TV every Friday night. It seriously isn't that hard. It doesn't take Memorial Stadium to have a TV broadcast.

So how can you be against them going on the road in the quarters, but ok with them having to go to Lincoln for the finals and possibly play Lincoln Lutheran....which would be a home game for the 11 seed?

Didn't know Lincoln Lutheran played home games in Memorial stadium. That's cool. Good for them! Pardon my sarcasm.

I dont understand how and why you keep equating a neutral site game as the same thing as a road game. Just because its not on your home field doesnt mean its a road game. By definition it is a neutral site game, which is very differnat. It is my understanding that if neither team plays at the host stadium then it is a neutral site game, not home nor road.

Why is it hypocritical to think that the better seed should host throughout then at the very end have a top notch quality game at one of the most recognizable stadiums in college football. I understand how technically you can make the argument but logically it makes no sense to me and others.

For NET to potentially go setup at 6 different locations in a 2 day period with less than a weeks notice is irrational. Even if it would be possible the end product would be vastly inferrior.

Didn't know Lincoln Lutheran played home games in Memorial stadium. That's cool. Good for them! Pardon my sarcasm.

I dont understand how and why you keep equating a neutral site game as the same thing as a road game. Just because its not on your home field doesnt mean its a road game. By definition it is a neutral site game, which is very differnat. It is my understanding that if neither team plays at the host stadium then it is a neutral site game, not home nor road.

Why is it hypocritical to think that the better seed should host throughout then at the very end have a top notch quality game at one of the most recognizable stadiums in college football. I understand how technically you can make the argument but logically it makes no sense to me and others.

For NET to potentially go setup at 6 different locations in a 2 day period with less than a weeks notice is irrational. Even if it would be possible the end product would be vastly inferrior.
A neutral site game is the same as an away game for the #1 seed in the fact that they have lost their home field advantage. Whether they are playing at the opposition's home field or at some random field or stadium in the state is irrelevant. What is relevant is that they are not playing at home. That's why I say they are playing an away game, because they are playing away from home.

I understand what you are saying about making the grand finale of the season at the grandest stadium in the state. I really do. I respect your opinion, and totally appreciate the conversation. I just think that there are kids in Nebraska that would rather play at home than in Lincoln. Ultimately it is about the kids, not about the NET viewers, the fans, or whoever else. IF, keyword, IF, the the kids of the higher seed want to play at home, they should have that option. There is a chance that the kids want to play at Memorial Stadium. I understand it would be hard on NET, but again I go back to the fact that this isn't about NET, it is about the kids playing the game.

Enjoy the debate and I respect your opinions.

You really think "every kid works and dreams of playing in Memorial Stadium"? Maybe 15 years ago when Nebraska was relevant. Now....not so much. Nebraska hasn't played in a meaningful game since 2001, and that was a game they had no business playing in. The kids that are playing today have never seen Nebraska be relevant on the national scene in their lifetime, and they likely never will. In 1996 when the finals moved to Memorial Stadium it all made sense. Nebraska was coming off 2 national titles and won a share of a third the next season.

My point is that now playing at Memorial Stadium isn't what it was 20 years ago when this started. I just think the higher seed should have the choice. If they want to play in Lincoln, so be it. I just believe that if they earn home field advantage by earning the #1 seed than nothing should take that from them unless they willingly give it up.

As for setting up TV coverage, again I say for the 3rd time, it happens every single week. There is a Nebraska High School game on local TV every Friday night. It seriously isn't that hard. It doesn't take Memorial Stadium to have a TV broadcast.
I think every kid works and dreams for playing in Memorial Stadium. Sure, Nebraska football isn't what it was 20 years ago, but for many kids, the thought of playing in Memorial Stadium is amazing. Many of those kids won't ever get to play in a stadium like that for the rest of their life, even if the lucky few go on to play some level of college football. It will be nothing like playing in Memorial Stadium

Yeah they pull it off, but to the capability of NET? No, and it’s not close.

Plus I bet if you did a poll of how many players would rather play at their home stadium over Memorial Stadium the results would be favorably for playing in Memorial Stadium.

Kids want to play at Memorial Stadium. It’s not “going on the road.” Kids deserve to play in the best stadium in the state after working their butts off.

It doesn’t matter that Nebraska isn’t relevant anymore. Kids want to play at Memorial Stadium. I was lucky enough to make it to Memorial Stadium my senior year. We got squashed in the game, but I will carry that experience of playing in one of the most known Stadiums in college football forever.

As far as broadcasting, yes I agree it happens every week. But does the quality work that NET does for the state finals happen every week? No. Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather watch live coverage with interactions with coaches/players than a livestream from a crows nest for the State championship. I bet 95% of kids participating in the game would agree with me.

I think every kid works and dreams for playing in Memorial Stadium. Sure, Nebraska football isn't what it was 20 years ago, but for many kids, the thought of playing in Memorial Stadium is amazing. Many of those kids won't ever get to play in a stadium like that for the rest of their life, even if the lucky few go on to play some level of college football. It will be nothing like playing in Memorial Stadium
I guess that is where I disagree with the bulk of the posters. When I played it literally never once motivated me that we might play in Memorial Stadium (which we ended up doing). We talked about lifting a state championship trophy (which we also ended up doing) and we didn't care where we won it at. I have a hard time understanding anyone that would use the stadium you are playing in (Memorial Stadium) as more of a motivator than what you are playing for (State title). That being the case, I don't think kids work and dream of playing in Memorial Stadium. I think kids work and dream of winning a state title. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah they pull it off, but to the capability of NET? No, and it’s not close.

Plus I bet if you did a poll of how many players would rather play at their home stadium over Memorial Stadium the results would be favorably for playing in Memorial Stadium.

Kids want to play at Memorial Stadium. It’s not “going on the road.” Kids deserve to play in the best stadium in the state after working their butts off.
I think the poll of players would be closer than you think, but there is no way to tell. Good topic of debate though. I still see it as "going on the road". I saw it that way when we played for a state title in Memorial Stadium and I see it that way as an old man. When we aren't playing at home, we are going on the road

I guess that is where I disagree with the bulk of the posters. When I played it literally never once motivated me that we might play in Memorial Stadium (which we ended up doing). We talked about lifting a state championship trophy (which we also ended up doing) and we didn't care where we won it at. I have a hard time understanding anyone that would use the stadium you are playing in (Memorial Stadium) as more of a motivator than what you are playing for (State title). That being the case, I don't think kids work and dream of playing in Memorial Stadium. I think kids work and dream of winning a state title. I hope that makes sense.

I think the poll of players would be closer than you think, but there is no way to tell. Good topic of debate though. I still see it as "going on the road". I saw it that way when we played for a state title in Memorial Stadium and I see it that way as an old man. When we aren't playing at home, we are going on the road
Oh yeah, I do understand what you are saying. And you might be right, playing for and winning a trophy might be more of a motivator than playing in Memorial Stadium. As an outsider, someone who never got to play or win in Memorial Stadium and went to Husker games almost every year, the thought of playing in Memorial Stadium would be amazing. But I obviously respect your opinion and it makes sense.

Reactions: hailvictors2
hailvictors2, you are living proof of not caring about playing at Memorial and just wanting to win. And I am living proof of wanting to make it to Memorial, I understand your stance and respect it! Agree to disagree..(although it was pretty cool you gotta admit)

I think it's amazing we talk about this every single year when there is only one game maximum in the current set up that a 1 or 2 seed would have to travel. One game. That's it if you are a 1 or 2 seed. Given smaller school athletic budgets, this system won't change.

Reactions: gokodo
Given smaller school athletic budgets, this system won't change.

Serious question here, not being a smart@%$. Besides the costs related to the bus trip (gas, maintenance, bus driver, etc) is there any other costs? Don't most booster clubs or even host schools booster clubs pay for any food costs for the kids? Is there some costs I'm missing that would cause financial burden to a small school athletic budget?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT