ADVERTISEMENT

Is Parkview Christian the Best D-2 Boys Team Ever

ClkTwr2011

Senior
Mar 18, 2014
After watching Parkview Christian play, it occurred to me that this may be the best D2 team I have ever seen. They really looked as if they could have beaten St Mary's about as bad as they wanted to. I honestly give them credit for not hanging another 15 on them. And that was a VERY good St Mary's team. I don't want anyone to even consider this as disrespectful toward them.

I tried to remember back over the years, and admit that I have some trouble sorting out some D1 vs D2 teams just from memory.

There are some teams from St Francis, Sacred Heart, and Bancroft-Rosalie that come to mind in recent history. I don't believe any of those teams could have played with this Parkview Christian group, but that is impossible to know.

What are the group's opinion on where they would put this Parkview Christian group.

Best team that money can buy! I wish my kids school could get one and done kids and play in the smallest class in the state while residing in Lincoln!
I don't know if my kids would have seen the court if they had been on that team!

After watching Parkview Christian play, it occurred to me that this may be the best D2 team I have ever seen. They really looked as if they could have beaten St Mary's about as bad as they wanted to. I honestly give them credit for not hanging another 15 on them. And that was a VERY good St Mary's team. I don't want anyone to even consider this as disrespectful toward them.

I tried to remember back over the years, and admit that I have some trouble sorting out some D1 vs D2 teams just from memory.

There are some teams from St Francis, Sacred Heart, and Bancroft-Rosalie that come to mind in recent history. I don't believe any of those teams could have played with this Parkview Christian group, but that is impossible to know.

What are the group's opinion on where they would put this Parkview Christian group.
If I was any AD in the state I’d refuse to schedule them. The whole organization is bad news…. And has been for 20 plus years.

If I was any AD in the state I’d refuse to schedule them. The whole organization is bad news…. And has been for 20 plus years.
What are they doing that is so much different than any other Parochial school? Foreign Exchange students are perhaps nontraditional, but not against the rules.

What I'm asking is if the dislike of Parkview is an issue with them or is it an issue with the rules that schools operate within?

For clarity, I believe there is a tremendous inequality between public and parochial. I have an issue with the rules, not the schools. Being honest, I think the Parkview deal is pretty funny, a Parochial pushing the rules to enjoy an even bigger advantage than their Parochial peers. You have to admit that there's humor in that.

Reactions: saluno22
What are they doing that is so much different than any other Parochial school? Foreign Exchange students are perhaps nontraditional, but not against the rules.

What I'm asking is if the dislike of Parkview is an issue with them or is it an issue with the rules that schools operate within?

For clarity, I believe there is a tremendous inequality between public and parochial. I have an issue with the rules, not the schools. Being honest, I think the Parkview deal is pretty funny, a Parochial pushing the rules to enjoy an even bigger advantage than their Parochial peers. You have to admit that there's humor in that.
I think the difference is the one and done deal. The kids at St Marys are on their rosters for 4 years and start multiple years. Same with Sacred Heart and St Francis. Our school had to play them in a district final two years ago and they had played 6 seniors and beat us easily. Most D2 schools would take a year or two to recover from that but not them! Recruit six more kids and throw them back out there to compete in the smallest class again. Had we played At Marys I know the Hedstrom kid would have been playing and possibly a couple others.

They did play well against St Mary’s, but the group of foreign students and players recruited two years ago at Parkview was better than this group of exchange students and recruits.
What’s more amazing is that a small private school in Lincoln can find enough players to compete in D2!

I think the difference is the one and done deal. The kids at St Marys are on their rosters for 4 years and start multiple years. Same with Sacred Heart and St Francis. Our school had to play them in a district final two years ago and they had played 6 seniors and beat us easily. Most D2 schools would take a year or two to recover from that but not them! Recruit six more kids and throw them back out there to compete in the smallest class again. Had we played At Marys I know the Hedstrom kid would have been playing and possibly a couple others.
So in your opinion, how could the rules be modified to prevent this type of thing?

So in your opinion, how could the rules be modified to prevent this type of thing?
There needs to be some sort of multiplier that moves people up who do this stuff. My main problem with this is that it takes opportunities away from the small rural schools which is what D2 is about. My gripe isn’t at all parochial schools it’s mainly this particular one.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
So was this year the first year they've won a championship?
This was just their fifth state tournament appearance ever. However, they finished 3rd in 2020 and runner-up in 2021 before winning it all this year

2016: Anselmo-Merna (W 63-39) / Mead (L 36-46) / Riverside (L 49-68)

2017: Wynot (L 34-39)

2020: Loomis (W 65-49) / Falls City Sacred Heart (L 41-63) / Mullen (W 62-43)

2021: Loomis (W 71-54) / O'Neill St. Mary's (W 62-53) / Falls City Sacred Heart (L 47-64)

2022: Hyannis (W 64-54) / Falls City Sacred Heart (W 46-31) / O'Neill St. Mary's (W 64-48)

This was just their fifth state tournament appearance ever. However, they finished 3rd in 2020 and runner-up in 2021 before winning it all this year

2016: Anselmo-Merna (W 63-39) / Mead (L 36-46) / Riverside (L 49-68)

2017: Wynot (L 34-39)

2020: Loomis (W 65-49) / Falls City Sacred Heart (L 41-63) / Mullen (W 62-43)

2021: Loomis (W 71-54) / O'Neill St. Mary's (W 62-53) / Falls City Sacred Heart (L 47-64)

2022: Hyannis (W 64-54) / Falls City Sacred Heart (W 46-31) / O'Neill St. Mary's (W 64-48)
So it is not as if they have had a run of dominance like say...Falls City Sacred Heart.

Reactions: nenebskers

No. I don't know much about them except for 1 game on TV and looking at their resume'. O'Neill simply missed wide open shots. A lot. I would guess if they play 10 times, this margin is the worst, or at least among the worst. A "BOAT" doesn't have, imo, 6 losses. They were 4-5 against upper class teams with a winning record. 0-5 against those same teams that aren't named Omaha or Cornerstone Christian. Their nearly 20 point loss to a first round C2 loser also jumps out. Parkview doesn't beat ANY other Finalist. That makes it hard to call them anything but 2022 D2 Champs.

Reactions: viewfromthebooth

I think the solution is simple. Make any student that doesn't attend their geograhic public school district pay a portion of their cost of attending. Say...75%. That would clearly and fairly even the playing field. Go to YOUR local public school, or pay tuition.

Reactions: neksu
I think the solution is simple. Make any student that doesn't attend their geograhic public school district pay a portion of their cost of attending. Say...75%. That would clearly and fairly even the playing field. Go to YOUR local public school, or pay tuition.
That handles public school transferring. It does nothing for Parochial, those families pay 100% of the tuition.

No. I don't know much about them except for 1 game on TV and looking at their resume'. O'Neill simply missed wide open shots. A lot. I would guess if they play 10 times, this margin is the worst, or at least among the worst. A "BOAT" doesn't have, imo, 6 losses. They were 4-5 against upper class teams with a winning record. 0-5 against those same teams that aren't named Omaha or Cornerstone Christian. Their nearly 20 point loss to a first round C2 loser also jumps out. Parkview doesn't beat ANY other Finalist. That makes it hard to call them anything but 2022 D2 Champs.
A good defense will make an opponent miss shots. Yes they may give open looks, but finding those looks and a defenses ability to close can certainly disrupt a shooter's rhythm.

I wish I had seen these kids play a few time this season and I could have a much better feel for them and where they may belong in terms of historical team quality.

I like the fact that you look at their resume'. I don't personally put much stock in games against teams that are a couple classes higher. I understand that others may. I just don't. I watched one of the best St Francis boys teams (unbeaten by the way) drop their final regular season game to a C2 Twin River team that was just a few games above .500. That St Francis team went on to win a State Title a couple weeks later. There is just such a big gap between D2 and C1/C2.

I do appreciate your opinion here and respect it for sure.

I was actually looking for a D2 school to reference. Yes the schools you are pointing out have solid history as well. They are not D2.
If you're speaking strictly about D2, the "solid history" you're looking for would be Wynot Girls making the Finals 10 out of 11 years, winning 7, including 4 straight from 2011-2014. For Boys I'd go with Clearwater winnning 4 straight in the late '80's. I don't recall a lot of shrieking, tearing of hair, and gnashing of teeth about those. Maybe there was, but I don't recall it.

A good defense will make an opponent miss shots. Yes they may give open looks, but finding those looks and a defenses ability to close can certainly disrupt a shooter's rhythm.

I wish I had seen these kids play a few time this season and I could have a much better feel for them and where they may belong in terms of historical team quality.

I like the fact that you look at their resume'. I don't personally put much stock in games against teams that are a couple classes higher. I understand that others may. I just don't. I watched one of the best St Francis boys teams (unbeaten by the way) drop their final regular season game to a C2 Twin River team that was just a few games above .500. That St Francis team went on to win a State Title a couple weeks later. There is just such a big gap between D2 and C1/C2.

I do appreciate your opinion here and respect it for sure.
It didn't appear to me they were hotly contested. Maybe that was because those were the guys they didn't feel the need to guard, I don't know. They pressured the ball, then seemed to sag off and wait to pounce on lazy passes by springing out of the lane. Good shooting would have forced that to change. And the way St. Mary's kept chucking them up, I think THEY (OSM) expected to make more of them. Again, first time I watched either this year, so not sure.

As for the resume I put a great deal of stock in that. To me it's what separates a good team from a "goat" type team. I'd also add that this is the first year in a long, long time for me that I don't think ANY team would have beaten the team that won the class above it. Some of that is comparative scores, some eye test, but most every year it seems that one team from some class, appears to be better than at least, one, above it. I don't think I see that this year. BB is funny and upsets happen more often, but if you look at the whole body of work, generally it comes out in the wash how a team would have fared. Take North Platte, for example, both losses were to C1 qualfiers, but neither was really close. But they also clearly handled their business and put it to winning record C2's and C1's regularly. Just kind of my methodology, I guess.

It didn't appear to me they were hotly contested. Maybe that was because those were the guys they didn't feel the need to guard, I don't know. They pressured the ball, then seemed to sag off and wait to pounce on lazy passes by springing out of the lane. Good shooting would have forced that to change. And the way St. Mary's kept chucking them up, I think THEY (OSM) expected to make more of them. Again, first time I watched either this year, so not sure.

As for the resume I put a great deal of stock in that. To me it's what separates a good team from a "goat" type team. I'd also add that this is the first year in a long, long time for me that I don't think ANY team would have beaten the team that won the class above it. Some of that is comparative scores, some eye test, but most every year it seems that one team from some class, appears to be better than at least, one, above it. I don't think I see that this year. BB is funny and upsets happen more often, but if you look at the whole body of work, generally it comes out in the wash how a team would have fared. Take North Platte, for example, both losses were to C1 qualfiers, but neither was really close. But they also clearly handled their business and put it to winning record C2's and C1's regularly. Just kind of my methodology, I guess.
I like your logic. You have thought through it and it works for you. You make a strong argument for sure.

From watching that game and the way that they seemed to close out, it appeared to me that your suspicion was accurate...Parkview know who they wanted shooting the ball and they just let them.

Last edited:
If you're speaking strictly about D2, the "solid history" you're looking for would be Wynot Girls making the Finals 10 out of 11 years, winning 7, including 4 straight from 2011-2014. For Boys I'd go with Clearwater winnning 4 straight in the late '80's. I don't recall a lot of shrieking, tearing of hair, and gnashing of teeth about those. Maybe there was, but I don't recall it.
I don't really care about the shrieking and gnashing of teeth! I understand where you are going and I agree with it.

Aside from the uproar from people that feel Parkview is taking advantage of the system (same set of rules for everyone) we have to remember that there is a group of kids and coaches that have worked very hard and deserve the reward for that hard work. This isn't a parochial vs public thread.

That handles public school transferring. It does nothing for Parochial, those families pay 100% of the tuition.
Very very few pay 100% I would be 100% oaky with private schools if ever student playing a NSAA sport or activity paid 100% of tuition. NO sponsorships and no scholarships for those playing a NSAA sport or activity

Very very few pay 100% I would be 100% oaky with private schools if ever student playing a NSAA sport or activity paid 100% of tuition. NO sponsorships and no scholarships for those playing a NSAA sport or activity
Interesting point. So would you guess that there is a disproportionate percentage of athletes on "scholarships"?

Interesting point. So would you guess that there is a disproportionate percentage of athletes on "scholarships"?
I have no clue if that is the case, they do not have to report on who receives scholarships or what the qualification are to receive a scholarship, it is completely on the honor system. BUT look at it this way, if a public school student would transfer to another school and received a gas card from a booster club or a sponsorship to get a gas card to pay for fuel to drive to this new school that would be against the rules. So and easy rule is all students participating in any NSAA event must pay full tuition and in some cases room and board. Otherwise regardless of the reason you are receiving a discount or sponsorship you are receiving money to play an NSAA activity

I have no clue if that is the case, they do not have to report on who receives scholarships or what the qualification are to receive a scholarship, it is completely on the honor system. BUT look at it this way, if a public school student would transfer to another school and received a gas card from a booster club or a sponsorship to get a gas card to pay for fuel to drive to this new school that would be against the rules. So and easy rule is all students participating in any NSAA event must pay full tuition and in some cases room and board. Otherwise regardless of the reason you are receiving a discount or sponsorship you are receiving money to play an NSAA activity
I think 100% would put an insurmountable barrier to low-income kids transferring out of their home district. I think 75% cost of attendance to a public school outside your district would be more appropriate.

I think 100% would put an insurmountable barrier to low-income kids transferring out of their home district. I think 75% cost of attendance to a public school outside your district would be more appropriate.
Yes it may but if you are transferring for academics and do not play a NSAA sport, then you can get all the reduction you want and is it any less for a student to transfer and drive to a school why are we not able to give them money ?

No gas card necesssry for public schools because they can just send a school van or bus to pick them up. For example, Cedar Bluffs and Arlington send transportation to Fremont to pick up and drop off students that live there.

No gas card necesssry for public schools because they can just send a school van or bus to pick them up. For example, Cedar Bluffs and Arlington send transportation to Fremont to pick up and drop off students that live there.
Valid point, but that would be an exception. A kid from Arlington that wants to attend an Omaha school does not have a bussing option. But a kid from Seward, Schuyler, or Shelby that wants to attend school at Aquinas can receive a "scholarship".

While I am sure there are many transportation options available, I would imagine that to not be normal.

This is a very good point. I have never thought about this.

There isn't. If a family wants to attend a a parochial school that offers tuition assistance, they can apply to receive tuition assistance. Does not matter if they are in activities or not.

Contrary to the popular belief, parochial schools outside of Lincoln and Omaha aren't picking and choosing what kids come to their school. If that said 7-12 parochial school has elementary feeder schools, most of the kids who are in high school went to Catholic grade school. Catholic schools aren't turning away kids. They will take any student who can afford tuition and has a good standing from their previous school if they are a transfer.

Here’s the problem with parochial vs public. Public takes low income and special needs kids and count everyone of them. Parochial only takes the ones they want. Parochial school magically do not have better athletes they just have more to offer higher income parents than public schools do. Sorry for hurting feelings but that is the truth.

Here’s the problem with parochial vs public. Public takes low income and special needs kids and count everyone of them. Parochial only takes the ones they want. Parochial school magically do not have better athletes they just have more to offer higher income parents than public schools do. Sorry for hurting feelings but that is the truth.
To be honest if I lived close to a parochial school my kids would go there.

not the case in every school district a lot do not bus out of district

I do agree a true count is a big difference

Reactions: hammer the rock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT