ADVERTISEMENT

Opting to go 8 man

Football2002

Junior
Jan 9, 2002
As of now, which 11 man teams are going to opt into 8-man for the next cycle (confirmed or rumored)?

Also, will any 8-man teams switch to 11-man (co-ops included)?

I have just heard that
Harvard, Franklin, Hampton and Redcloud are all going 6-man
and Thayer Central, Superior, wheeping water, conastoga and Tri-county are going 8-man
Repeat Just Heard not confirmed

I have just heard that
Harvard, Franklin, Hampton and Redcloud are all going 6-man
and Thayer Central, Superior, wheeping water, conastoga and Tri-county are going 8-man
Repeat Just Heard not confirmed
Conestoga will NOT be going to 8 man, they are firmly entrenched in C1

Board Meetings should be next week at schools...lots more information next week should come out.

Have they ever thought about just combining with Aurora? Or Heartland? Or is Hampton pretty set on going it alone?
Not sure of what the reasons are for going 6-man. Seems more feasible to go 6-man now since the travel distance is less with more eastern located schools going that direction as well. I saw they were making the switch in York paper.

Anyone think if a number of teams join the 6 man rank nsaa will step in and take over again or place sanctions on other school sports? Seems like numbers are a wide spread problem across the state. Or state possibly force coops/consolidations by pulling state funds?

Anyone think if a number of teams join the 6 man rank nsaa will step in and take over again or place sanctions on other school sports? Seems like numbers are a wide spread problem across the state. Or state possibly force coops/consolidations by pulling state funds?
Pulling State funds wont really do anything, most of these schools receive less than 5% of funding from State money. They will have to do what Iowa does and offer more funding for Coops and whole grade sharing programs to encourage consolidations. I also do not believe the NSAA will ever gat 6-man back

Sometime this month the NSAA is going to be meeting with the 6-man association about sanctioning. More than likely for the 18-19 seasons.

Heard a rumor that Shelby/Rising City was going 8 man but then again it might just be a rumor especially after they just put in that new field

Heard a rumor that Shelby/Rising City was going 8 man but then again it might just be a rumor especially after they just put in that new field
I always felt Osceola and Shelby could have gone together and formed a pretty solid school, rather than Shelby going with Rising City.

The high school for high plains is in Polk along with some el grades and the junior high is in Clarks (which is where they play their high school football games) along with some of the el grades

Conestoga will NOT be going to 8 man, they are firmly entrenched in C1
Conestoga should DEFINITELY go 8 man..... 16-90 in last 13 years
2015 2-7
2014 1-8
2013 0-8
2012 0-8
2011 6-2
2010 1-7
2009 5-3
2008 0-8
2007 0-8
2006 0-8
2005 0-8
2004 1-7
2003 0-8

Conestoga should DEFINITELY go 8 man..... 16-90 in last 13 years
2015 2-7
2014 1-8
2013 0-8
2012 0-8
2011 6-2
2010 1-7
2009 5-3
2008 0-8
2007 0-8
2006 0-8
2005 0-8
2004 1-7
2003 0-8

Actually, Conestoga had a fair number of players out for football (41, according to MaxPreps). And they actually have a couple of decent players. They just have a long tradition of losing, which is hard to break sometimes. The ONLY reason for them to move down is because they don't know how to win... not because they don't have a fair opportunity to do it.

Interesting point by Wakefield coach......by playing 8 man more kids will have an opportunity to play. Take 3 players off the field but add 6 JV games....good for Wakefield......hate too see them not be eligible for the playoffs......come on NSAA, time to raise the 8 man limit to 105, 110, or 115 and allow teams to opt up to 11 man instead of punishing teams for opting down because your enrollment standards are by far the lowest in the entire Midwest and possibly the entire country!

whats up in wakefield that you would mid C2 but play 8-man ?
What is up with Wakefield? A high migrant/ESL student population that does not or simply cannot participate in athletics because of the language barrier. When there are easily 10-20 of those students roaming the hallways your enrollment goes from 75-80 to 95-100. Wakefield is a D1 school trapped in a C2 schools body, plain and simple. They are doing what is in the best interest of their school, which is the safety of their younger players and making sure they can get through an entire season not worrying if they can make it week to week. Younger players should be allowed to properly develop on the j.v. field....not by being thrown to the wolves on a Friday night.

Reactions: dawills
What is up with Wakefield? A high migrant/ESL student population that does not or simply cannot participate in athletics because of the language barrier. When there are easily 10-20 of those students roaming the hallways your enrollment goes from 75-80 to 95-100. Wakefield is a D1 school trapped in a C2 schools body, plain and simple. They are doing what is in the best interest of their school, which is the safety of their younger players and making sure they can get through an entire season not worrying if they can make it week to week. Younger players should be allowed to properly develop on the j.v. field....not by being thrown to the wolves on a Friday night.
High ESL and low income students is not a reason some teams lose, that is not a reason and has no affect on winning or participation numbers, because if it was then it would also show an advantage that private schools have by not having as many of these types of students. I have heard on this page many times from private school supporters that it doesn't have anything to do with winning.

Wood River might be added to that list. Not for sure. I know they are discussing this currently. No decision will be made till the deadline gets closer I'm sure. 26 kids were out and 10 were freshman. The motivating factor is to get a "winning" culture back into the school for football. They have endured a handful of horrible losses in the last 6 seasons. Games usually over at halftime. Participation numbers are down due to not having success. To me, I find that as a horrible excuse to not play football but it is what it is. They have tried everything but opt down to 8 man. As far as I know, this would be a temporary move to get participation numbers back up. When and IF that happens, they would join class C again.

High ESL and low income students is not a reason some teams lose, that is not a reason and has no affect on winning or participation numbers, because if it was then it would also show an advantage that private schools have by not having as many of these types of students. I have heard on this page many times from private school supporters that it doesn't have anything to do with winning.
Nut, do I sense a bit of

Word is Laurel-Concord-Coleridge School Board voted last night to opt down to 8 man. Darn shame...if they had gone down 2 years ago they would have been eligible and therefore this 2 year cycle would have been probation for them and they would still be eligible for the 8 man play-offs.

Here is what I know about who is going where....

6 Man- Harvard, Red Cloud, Franklin, Potter-Dix, Hampton

8 Man- Wakefield, Cambridge, Thayer Central, Tri County, Superior, West Holt, Laurel Concord-Coleridge, Ainsworth

11 Man- Lyons/Bancroft-Rosalie, Cross County

I've heard Ravenna, Wood River, and Weeping Water are going 8 man. I do not have confirmation of those are certainties,does anyone else?

The following schools were 8 man last year but are over the limit of 83: Anyone know what they plan to do? Stay down in 8 or come up to 11?
Winnebago
Omaha Nation
Southwest
Sutherland
Nebraska Christian
Perkins County
Neleigh-Oakdale
Amherst (Staying 8 man-Confirmed)
Plainview

What those teams do will make a huge impact on the cut line for C-1/C-2

Also the following schools were 11 man this cycle but now under the cut of 83
Tri Coutny- confirmed going down