ADVERTISEMENT

Football Two schools have already canceled their 2023 football seasons

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004

Per Stu Pospisil, Osmond (D2) and Elba (D6) have canceled their upcoming football seasons due to low participation numbers. Osmond was 3-5 last year, Elba was 0-8.

The NSAA has paired up six of Elba's opponents for games, leaving two with open weeks. For Osmond, it was four opponents paired up, with four open weeks.

At Elba, only four of the 17 boys in the school went out for football.

- In another tidbit, Gretna East will compete in Class B in all sports this season, and will be the only member of the Metro Conference to compete at that level. Omaha Buena Vista and Omaha Westview, who have Class B-sized enrollments, compete in Class A in every activity outside of football.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Kinda hard to have big participation numbers when total enrollment for boys is 15 I think I saw. Never thought I'd a see a school that used to be C2 down this low.
Sad state of affairs for a lot of those teams in that area. I'd imagine you'll see them with Plainview or Randolph next year.

Sad state of affairs for a lot of those teams in that area. I'd imagine you'll see them with Plainview or Randolph next year.
Osmond to Plainview-10 miles
Osmond to Wausa-12 miles
Osmond to Randolph-13 miles

I hate to say it, but with the teaching shortage and declining enrollment, something has to give. It's crazy that in 2023, there are five, K-12 Class D schools in a 30 mile radius up that way. Bloomfield, Wausa, Osmond, Plainview and Randolph. Could easily have two or three good size C2 schools with co-ops or consolidations. Healthy numbers make a healthy program.

I'm sure it'll be Randolph. They are already co-oping in basketball and maybe a few other sports.

Osmond to Plainview-10 miles
Osmond to Wausa-12 miles
Osmond to Randolph-13 miles

I hate to say it, but with the teaching shortage and declining enrollment, something has to give. It's crazy that in 2023, there are five, K-12 Class D schools in a 30 mile radius up that way. Bloomfield, Wausa, Osmond, Plainview and Randolph. Could easily have two or three good size C2 schools with co-ops or consolidations. Healthy numbers make a healthy program.
Wasn't all that long ago (10 yrs???) there was a proposed five-school merger between Creighton, Plainview, Osmond, Wausa and Bloomfield. (I think those were the towns). IIRC, they couldn't come to an agreement on where the school should be located.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Wasn't all that long ago (10 yrs???) there was a proposed five-school merger between Creighton, Plainview, Osmond, Wausa and Bloomfield. (I think those were the towns). IIRC, they couldn't come to an agreement on where the school should be located.
It was in 2014. Those were towns and schools involved.

I forgot about their coop in other sports. Hawkeyes or something like that?
screen_shot_2022-05-11_at_2.13.51_pm.png

can the osmond boys go somewhere else to play football?
They would've had to transfer already and I'm not sure if any attempted or even made the deadline I haven't heard for sure. This being the second year of the two year cycle really makes it challenging unfortunately

can the osmond boys go somewhere else to play football?
They would've had to transfer already and I'm not sure if any attempted or even made the deadline I haven't heard for sure. This being the second year of the two year cycle really makes it challenging unfortunately
This ^

They could try to play a JV schedule if they have enough to field a team.....I've never seen or heard what their actual numbers are.

I’ve always felt those kids should get a hardship for a free transfer. If they want to play varsity football their senior year, stuff like this is out of their control.

I’ve always felt those kids should get a hardship for a free transfer. If they want to play varsity football their senior year, stuff like this is out of their control.
I agree. Sometimes the kids get lost in all of the rules.

I have been a Tournament Director for quite a few Legion Baseball Tournaments, and I constantly remind myself that this is about the kids, not the endless pile of rules. Sometimes exceptions need to be made for the good of the kids.

I agree. Sometimes the kids get lost in all of the rules.

I have been a Tournament Director for quite a few Legion Baseball Tournaments, and I constantly remind myself that this is about the kids, not the endless pile of rules. Sometimes exceptions need to be made for the good of the kids.
Agreed. Even if the kid doesn't want to transfer from his home school. That student should be allowed to go play right away at a nearby school of his choosing if he drives himself to practice.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Kinda hard to have big participation numbers when total enrollment for boys is 15 I think I saw. Never thought I'd a see a school that used to be C2 down this low.
They have had some school issues the last few years that have lead parents to pull their kids and take them to other districts. The first year of co-oping with Randolph for basketball did not go very well either both on and off the court. I believe the hillie kid that was a big part of plainviews state track title was a tiger up until jh or high school, might still live in the osmond school district even.

They have had some school issues the last few years that have lead parents to pull their kids and take them to other districts. The first year of co-oping with Randolph for basketball did not go very well either both on and off the court. I believe the hillie kid that was a big part of plainviews state track title was a tiger up until jh or high school, might still live in the osmond school district even.
Those schools up there need to see the writing on the wall. Consolidate and 95% of people get past the "issues" within a few years. If Howells and Dodge can get over their issues, any community can.

If those schools came together or a few came together they would be successful IMO.

Those schools up there need to see the writing on the wall. Consolidate and 95% of people get past the "issues" within a few years. If Howells and Dodge can get over their issues, any community can.

If those schools came together or a few came together they would be successful IMO.
I agree. Parents need to shut up get over their HS rivalries and do what is best for their kids and their school. BUT, having perhaps the best 8 man coach in the country leading your kids onto the field certainly alleviated some of those "issues"

NSAA enrollment numbers for 2023-24 for Osmond

Total Enrollment

Boys

Girls

Is there a great reason why we need 2 year cycles in football? Seems that enrollments in rural areas can fluctuate a lot year to year. Easier to set up co-ops if needed without the extra year restriction.

The two year cycle balances the schedule so each team plays each other at home. Could be other reasons, but this is probably the main.

Generally speaking, schools know well in advance about their numbers and it’s a fail on the school and administration not giving these kids an opportunity to compete at the varsity level this fall.

The two year cycle balances the schedule so each team plays each other at home. Could be other reasons, but this is probably the main.

Generally speaking, schools know well in advance about their numbers and it’s a fail on the school and administration not giving these kids an opportunity to compete at the varsity level this fall.
...and you certainly know failure when you see it, ex-convict.

Yeah, that is a reason. Not a good one though. Home or road in high school not that big a deal and you will likely be playing a large portion of your schedule again anyway on a 1 year cycle so you can still rotate those.

Yeah, that is a reason. Not a good one though. Home or road in high school not that big a deal and you will likely be playing a large portion of your schedule again anyway on a 1 year cycle so you can still rotate those.
I would argue that home games are a big deal in high school. Any time you can keep a HS kid in some kind of set routine I think you will see better results. Road games can add a layer of unknown to that routine. I wonder with these two schools if it wasn't a matter of having a bunch of boys decide not to go out that caused this. I thought I saw somewhere that only 4/17 boys at Elba were planning on going out. The one year cycle would make things easier in that regard. At the end of the day if you had 4 home and 4 road games it wouldn't really matter if it were a one year deal. Scheduling refs would be next to impossible however. Honestly doing this at the 8 and 6 man levels would be all you would need IMO

Some interesting new (I think) rules in football relative to this topic.

*Any school that forfeits a regular season contest will be ineligible for the postseason.
-I don't see that coming into play in A-C2, but this will probably happen in D1, D2, or D6. I am interested in seeing if the "next team up" gets into the playoffs, or if the slot becomes a bye. It should become a bye. I don't think any team should qualify for the playoffs because another team ahead of them became ineligible due to forfeiting.

*Any school that forfeits a regular or post season contest will be fined $1000 with the money going to the opponent if the game was to be the opponent's home game. The fine will be waived if the NSAA is able to replace the opponent's home game.

*Any school that forfeits a regular season or post season contest will be responsible for paying the officials.
- This rule combined with the rule above guarantee that if you forfeit a game you are getting a financial penalty with it in one form or another. If you are the visitor you owe the home team $1,000 plus officials cost. If you are the home team you pay the officials but don't owe $1,000.

Last edited:
Some interesting new (I think) rules in football relative to this topic.

*Any school that forfeits a regular season contest will be ineligible for the postseason.
-I don't see that coming into play in A-C2, but this will probably happen in D1, D2, or D6. I am interested in seeing if the "next team up" gets into the playoffs, or if the slot becomes a bye. It should become a bye. I don't think any team should qualify for the playoffs because another team ahead of them became ineligible due to forfeiting.

*Any school that forfeits a regular or post season contest will be fined $1000 with the money going to the opponent if the game was to be the opponent's home game. The fine will be waived if the NSAA is able to replace the opponent's home game.

*Any school that forfeits a regular season or post season contest will be responsible for paying the officials.
- This rule combined with the rule above guarantee that if you forfeit a game you are getting a financial penalty with it in one form or another. If you are the visitor you owe the home team $1,000 plus officials cost. If you are the home team you pay the officials but don't owe $1,000.
I am guessing it will be the next team in line gets the playoff spot. I don't see this being of any consequence as it relates to post season play. Teams that are capable of a couple playoff wins don't have participation issues to the degree of having to forfeit games.

Any chance this goes along with an argument on this board out of the M-HC/Hitchcock County game last year? I would guess they set forfeit/no playoffs rule to keep this from happening again. It will happen that a school will have to forfeit a game due to illness within the school. It would be really unfortunate for that team if that was the reason they missed the postseason. I think we've seen in the past when the NSAA makes a rule they do not budge on it.

Rumor is Superior is going to forfeit all games after the 1st game, if so that sucks as all those team if they knew now could try to find a week zero game NOT very professional by Superior if they know they are doing this not to let other schools know also

Rumor is Superior is going to forfeit all games after the 1st game, if so that sucks as all those team if they knew now could try to find a week zero game NOT very professional by Superior if they know they are doing this not to let other schools know also
If true, those kids should get a hardship to play for a neighboring school.

Not sure where you got this info from, but that’s no where near true. They also have a week zero game in Alma.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT