ADVERTISEMENT

I’ve got a few questions about Parkview Christian

Oct 27, 2006
Did anyone see Huskerland Bob’s number 4 team in his D2 rankings? Parkview Christian has 8 new transfers from 4 different schools including 3 different countries. My questions are:
1. Why does the NSAA allow them to recruit on such a grand scale?
2. Why is a school that obviously has a population of 250,000 plus allowed to compete in Nebraska’s smallest class?
3. Why didn’t they win it last year with all those new recruits?
4. Does their coach spend too much time recruiting and not enough on teaching fundamentals?

I would love to hear what others think about this. I really don’t understand why the NSAA allows this.

Reactions: dchpt
Did anyone see Huskerland Bob’s number 4 team in his D2 rankings? Parkview Christian has 8 new transfers from 4 different schools including 3 different countries. My questions are:
1. Why does the NSAA allow them to recruit on such a grand scale?
2. Why is a school that obviously has a population of 250,000 plus allowed to compete in Nebraska’s smallest class?
3. Why didn’t they win it last year with all those new recruits?
4. Does their coach spend too much time recruiting and not enough on teaching fundamentals?

I would love to hear what others think about this. I really don’t understand why the NSAA allows this.
1. So foreign exchange students can’t be good at basketball? I don’t recall people crying when Fremont High a few years ago got two transfers from Omaha Central and one from Cedar Bluffs.

2. I can bet Parkview would love more kids in their school. It’s not like they are only accepting athletes. Tuition dollars keep them open, they aren’t getting state funding.

3. It’s tough to build continuity with transfers.

I don’t see a problem with it if they are getting kids enrolled in their proper classes and giving them a good education.

Sometimes parents want their kids to get a different experience. Maybe the LPS kids didn’t like going to a school with 300 kids in their grade? Maybe they were bullied? Maybe they weren’t getting enough one on one attention? Maybe they wanted a faith based education? Maybe they weren’t getting playing time? There are a lot of variables at play.

Reactions: 3_peat and mww
I would bet my last dollar that the kids they are recruiting for basketball are not getting bullied! It goes back to the fact the there is a unfair advantage when you can live in a town of 250,00 plus people and recruit kids to play against towns of less than 500!

Reactions: Mboldt5 and dchpt
Also those students don’t count toward their enrollment for classification until next year assuming they are not seniors

I would bet my last dollar that the kids they are recruiting for basketball are not getting bullied! It goes back to the fact the there is a unfair advantage when you can live in a town of 250,00 plus people and recruit kids to play against towns of less than 500!
So should they compete in Class A with less than 120 kids 9-12? Just because they are in the city of Lincoln?

Reactions: mww and nenebskers
I doubt it will ever happen but I for one would really like to see the NSAA add either a separate class for the parochial schools or make them play up with a multiplier. I don't care how you justify it, they have built in advantages that public schools just don't have. I am well aware that it is becoming more common to see transfer kids at public schools now too. Don't kid yourself in thinking that Mullen and Paxton are on the same even playing field as Parkview Christian or these other schools.

Reactions: robertl87
There are a few main scenarios that go on with this IMO.
1- Some Metro/Parochial schools in larger population bases recruit to build super teams, or have historically good programs so the parents enroll the kids at said school. Say this doesn't happen, and you're blind.
2- In larger metro areas, a Class A kid may not think he'll get a shot, so enrolls at a smaller parochial school, or a close smaller district.
3- A kid from a smaller town with a larger district close will transfer to the bigger district to gain more attention by playing in a larger class.

There are numerous examples of all 3, and believe these are the most prevalent. I don't think there's anything you can do regarding class A, but if you don't think there isn't a competitive advantage, I'd implore you to look at the state teams from the 5-6 main team sports over the last 20 years in Classes B-C2.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I doubt it will ever happen but I for one would really like to see the NSAA add either a separate class for the parochial schools or make them play up with a multiplier. I don't care how you justify it, they have built in advantages that public schools just don't have. I am well aware that it is becoming more common to see transfer kids at public schools now too. Don't kid yourself in thinking that Mullen and Paxton are on the same even playing field as Parkview Christian or these other schools.

Another class will never happen, not enough private schools in the state. Not even close. Multiplier maybe but that talk seems to have simmered down from a few years ago. I dont have a strong feeling either way on the multiplier rule but tend to lean towards not being in favor. There will always be competitive advantages and disadvantages in sports. Not a fan of saying that one person is actually 1.25 persons or whatever the rule is. Ultimately we can never make it so every team has a .500 record nor do I think we should try. Embrace success and strive to achieve it, within the rules, don't waste your efforts trying to bring others down. One school who may have a poor football or basketball team may have a very successful soccer or cross country team. Just because the student body isn't successful in the end all be all eyes of football or boys basketball doesn't mean they don't have success elsewhere.

I would bet Mullen to beat Parkview this year and most years IMO.

What are some of the advantages? The majority of kids who are at parochial high schools start at parochial school in elementary school if the HS has elementary options. If parents want their kids to have a faith based education and want to spend thousands of dollars yearly for something they should have every right to do that.

Adams Central doesn’t have built in advantages? Or Hershey? Or Batte Creek? Or Ogallala? Because they get transfers too. And you know what’s a big advantage for them? They are free.

And the multiplier talk is ridiculous. So Prep should play NAIA versus Midland and Doane? Humphrey St. Francis should play C2 football with 12 players? Come on.

I don’t see Wynot, Pierce, St. Paul, Diller-Odell complaining. Build a winning culture and stop complaining about others success. Everyone has a weightroom and basketball courts.

Reactions: mww and nenebskers
How many D2 teams can flip their roster after every season? After state basketball this get brought up about private school kids outworking the public school kids. I do believe that St Francis and Sacred Heart groom their kids early on and build their programs that way. I know they still get a transfer from neighboring towns to top things off. Good programs attract kids like that. When a school can get multiple transfers from class A schools year end and year out and compete in the smallest class in the state is a problem.

Reactions: Power_I_82
Parkview Christian's history at the state tournament. One third place finish. Not exactly a hot bed.

• 1. 2016- Anselmo-Merna W63-39, Mead L36-46, Riverside L49-68
  • 2. 2017-Wynot L34-39
  • 3. 2020-Loomis W65-49, Falls City Sacred Heart L41-63, Mullen W62-43

Parkview Christian's history at the state tournament. One third place finish. Not exactly a hot bed.

• 2. 2017-Wynot L34-39
Parkview C has been very sketchy for some time now, they are the reason that NSAA mandated the J1 visa processes and because of parkview and the amount of BB players from other countries they brought in on religious sabbaticals

I know their history. They have a history of being shady and they also don't have a lot of history athletically.

How many D2 teams can flip their roster after every season? After state basketball this get brought up about private school kids outworking the public school kids. I do believe that St Francis and Sacred Heart groom their kids early on and build their programs that way. I know they still get a transfer from neighboring towns to top things off. Good programs attract kids like that. When a school can get multiple transfers from class A schools year end and year out and compete in the smallest class in the state is a problem.
I think Art nailed it, how many D2 schools can flip and reload their entire roster every season with seniors. Not many. I realize Parkview‘s state history is short, but I also think people are fooling themselves if they think that won’t change if they are allowed to continue to recruit and compete in Nebraska’s smallest class.

Reactions: Power_I_82
Palmyra gets transfers from LPS, go to school for free, and nobody cares.
Norris gets transfers from LPS go to school for free, and nobody cares.
Yutan gets transfers from Gretna, go to school for free, and nobody cares.
Parkview Christian gets transfers from LPS, kids pay $5,000 in tuition, and people lose their mind.

Parkview Christian gets transfers from LPS, kids pay $5,000 in tuition, and people lose their mind.

Add in Wes Dreamer transfered from Elmwood-Murdock to Lincoln East after already committing to NWMU. Was anyone in an uproar for a kid doing what he felt was best for himself to succeed at the next level?

• 2. 2017-Wynot L34-39

Wynot, population of 181, barely staying open for the past 25 years due to low enrollment, needs to move up a class or two due to them beating Parkview who comes from a city of 250,000. Don't even get me started on their girls program, way to much success, they clearly have advantages in that tiny town, I mean village!

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Dont forget Malcolm, get transfers from LPS and school is free. I remember Camphouse girl from Malcolm left after her freshman year for Seward to join that dynasty don't remember anyone here throwing up their arms about that.
Let's truly be honest here if you have a chance to send your kids to a private school over a public school for more opportunities and money isn't an issue I think everyone would. I will say I dont like private schools dominance of sports but Im not sure what the answer is. You cant tell St. Francis to play in a league with Skutt, they would get dominated in more ways than 1. We have also seen public schools take care of business against private schools. Pleasanton has done it twice in a row now. Wynot and Crofton do it plenty, Diller beat FCSH twice this season, Skutt football lost how many times this year again in football???? They hardly lose that in 5 seasons. Let the kids play and see how things play out, if things dont go your way, then you can harp on the system. Right now lets be glad the students can play and have these opportunities to showcase what they can do. I really excited for this season, some really GREAT teams in both girls and boys basketball

Yes kids transfer to all of these schools but they are also C2 and above for all that you have mentioned.

Look at last years district final for Parkview vs Wallace. Wallace has a school enrollment for boys of 23 none of which were hand picked to play basketball and more than half don't participate. They get what they get. Parkview while only having 18 enrolled gets to pick a new 5-10 each year usually all Seniors. They are not a HSF or FCSH who have solid programs with good youth participation and tradition
The problem lies in that they are exploiting the roster in the smallest school classification.

How many of these boys playing basketball actually pay $5,000 and how many are on scholarships?

Can it be stopped, no, but can it be called out for what it is, yes.

Wynot, population of 181, barely staying open for the past 25 years due to low enrollment, needs to move up a class or two due to them beating Parkview who comes from a city of 250,000. Don't even get me started on their girls program, way to much success, they clearly have advantages in that tiny town, I mean village!
How many of those kids at Wynot are on the team from freshman to seniors? 98%? That's what a program should be doing and why do they keep getting dragged into this when we talk about private schools?

How did Wynot get brought into this?

Yes kids transfer to all of these schools but they are also C2 and above for all that you have mentioned.

Look at last years district final for Parkview vs Wallace. Wallace has a school enrollment for boys of 23 none of which were hand picked to play basketball and more than half don't participate. They get what they get. Parkview while only having 18 enrolled gets to pick a new 5-10 each year usually all Seniors. They are not a HSF or FCSH who have solid programs with good youth participation and tradition
The problem lies in that they are exploiting the roster in the smallest school classification.

How many of these boys playing basketball actually pay $5,000 and how many are on scholarships?

Can it be stopped, no, but can it be called out for what it is, yes.
Oh, got it. So it's ok if Class A kids transfer to Class C2 schools because they are C2. That's fair to all the other teams in C2 compared to the atrocity that would exist in D1 and D2. Let's say they did get a "scholarship." They still paid $2,000? $1,000? Heck, let's say free. So what advantage does Parkview Christian have over the rest of the other D2 schools. You act like 10,000 kids are sitting outside of Parkview Christian saying "Pick me, pick me, pick me!" If Parkview Christian was able to "hand pick" whoever they wanted, you'd think they'd be a lot better more consistently. If this school has so many advantages, why don't more stud athletes get to go there for free? Why isn't their football team better? Why isn't their basketball team better?

The argument of a private school turning away kids that pay tuition to keep their enrollment down, so they can handpick kids who they let in tuition free is a bit unbelievable, right? Not a very sound business model for schools that are trying to stay open.

How many of those kids at Wynot are on the team from freshman to seniors? 98%? That's what a program should be doing and why do they keep getting dragged into this when we talk about private schools?
I guess I don’t see the big deal about them getting transfers? Because everyone gets transfers. So are you saying Parkview should not be allowed to take in any transfers? It’s not like kids are lining up outside to go to Parkview.

Besides Parkview how many kids at private schools in Classes C1-D2 are on the team from freshman to seniors? Probably 95%.

Reactions: mww
Getting a couple transfers is not that big of a deal but when a D2 team can flip their roster every year with 6 to 8 seniors its a problem! This year my favorite two teams will be the one my son plays for and Parkview Christian! If they win it all then more people will see the problem with this!

well now be carful, probably a great chance those exchange kids get full "academic" scholarships and a few more get sponsorship to pay

Reactions: FalconAlum07
also I think another 4 or 5 do separate state title games for private and public
I am not a fan of foreign exchange programs and high school sports, if they want to come great, but not sure playing sports is a great idea, If I remember right one year Parkview made state 3 of the 5 starters were exchange students, i know it has not happened yet(mainly thanks to the NSAA and rues on J1 visa, which we all knew it would be a matter of time before someone found a way around it) but someday a team 60% or greater or even 50% exchange students will win a title and then you got to ask is it still the Nebraska state title ?

I am not a fan of foreign exchange programs and high school sports, if they want to come great, but not sure playing sports is a great idea, If I remember right one year Parkview made state 3 of the 5 starters were exchange students, i know it has not happened yet(mainly thanks to the NSAA and rues on J1 visa, which we all knew it would be a matter of time before someone found a way around it) but someday a team 60% or greater or even 50% exchange students will win a title and then you got to ask is it still the Nebraska state title ?
So you want to take away opportunities for kids? That’s awesome.

Reactions: mww
Oh, got it. So it's ok if Class A kids transfer to Class C2 schools because they are C2. That's fair to all the other teams in C2 compared to the atrocity that would exist in D1 and D2. Let's say they did get a "scholarship." They still paid $2,000? $1,000? Heck, let's say free. So what advantage does Parkview Christian have over the rest of the other D2 schools. You act like 10,000 kids are sitting outside of Parkview Christian saying "Pick me, pick me, pick me!" If Parkview Christian was able to "hand pick" whoever they wanted, you'd think they'd be a lot better more consistently. If this school has so many advantages, why don't more stud athletes get to go there for free? Why isn't their football team better? Why isn't their basketball team better?

The argument of a private school turning away kids that pay tuition to keep their enrollment down, so they can handpick kids who they let in tuition free is a bit unbelievable, right? Not a very sound business model for schools that are trying to stay open.

I am saying that C2 has a much deeper or diverse pool in which to be competitive and offers a greater opportunity to offset transfers. A D2 school is picking from 10 TOTAL players not 10 freshmen 10 soph 10 junior 10 seniors. To me that is a big difference to you it's not, I don't personally care what you think and don't expect you to care what I say either we aren't changing each others mind here.

I never once said a private school turns away students, I said private schools do not force players to pay the same tuition as the average joe. I like to think my donation money to Omaha Skutt each year pays for Lindsay Krause type players, if it doesn't my wife and I need to talk about our future contributions.

I would know nothing about their football situation, I would venture a guess that most of their basketball players don't play football I quickly glanced and only saw 6 of the 20 names on the basketball roster that are also on the football roster using last year. As for why their team isn't better with what they brought in that would be a question for their coach.

As far as consistency they made 3 state tournaments in 5 years and lost to Mead in a 3OT game to get beat out of subs during 2018 so for a 5 year run that's pretty consistent while playing a C1-D1 schedule.

I am saying that C2 has a much deeper or diverse pool in which to be competitive and offers a greater opportunity to offset transfers. A D2 school is picking from 10 TOTAL players not 10 freshmen 10 soph 10 junior 10 seniors. To me that is a big difference to you it's not, I don't personally care what you think and don't expect you to care what I say either we aren't changing each others mind here.

I never once said a private school turns away students, I said private schools do not force players to pay the same tuition as the average joe. I like to think my donation money to Omaha Skutt each year pays for Lindsay Krause type players, if it doesn't my wife and I need to talk about our future contributions.

I would know nothing about their football situation, I would venture a guess that most of their basketball players don't play football I quickly glanced and only saw 6 of the 20 names on the basketball roster that are also on the football roster using last year. As for why their team isn't better with what they brought in that would be a question for their coach.

As far as consistency they made 3 state tournaments in 5 years and lost to Mead in a 3OT game to get beat out of subs during 2018 so for a 5 year run that's pretty consistent while playing a C1-D1 schedule.
Once again Falcon nailed it!

Not sure where you're going with the Skutt and Krause statement, but alright.

You did imply that Parkview Christians was handpicking basketball players, which means they are leaving students out.

Complaining about how any school located in/around a large population pool and that said population pool has the opportunity to choose that school is a legitimate complaint. Complaining that only a private school located in/around a large population pool and gets to choose athletes from that large pool is just ignorant.

Just not a fan of people using private schools as the scapegoat for someone's situation or circumstance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT