ADVERTISEMENT

I’ve got a few questions about Parkview Christian

So you want to take away opportunities for kids? That’s awesome.
I want to give opportunity to Nebraska Kids that have worked for this since elementary, and i am not against private schools, a faith based education system is something I wish we all attended, Iam against bringing select players from overseas and turning your BB roster over every year by clearly recruiting overseas BB players and competing at the D2 class level with those overseas players and taking opportunity away from Nebraska players

Last edited:
Reactions: viewfromthebooth
Yes. He. Did.
If he actually does donate to Skutt so they have good athletics and not for the "Christian Education", that pretty much proves everyone's point.
I wouldn’t give them a dime, but the wife is an Alum and it’s our duty or some blah.

Reactions: Power_I_82
Some history on the Parkview situation -

1. Garth Glissman was the boy's coach when Parkview decided to become "competitive"
2. As stated somewhere in this thread, there's been a few issues with NSAA compliance along the way...such as foreigners that weren't your average run of the mill "exchange" student.
3. Lucky for Parkview....Coach Glissman was an attorney....so no need to send a bill when issues needed resolved.
4. It was widely rumored that Glissman coached his squads for free.
5. Coach Glissman is now legal counsel for the NBA.

I guess in my mind....Glissman and Parkview used everything to their advantage when they wanted to build a program. They were in a good spot when all the pieces come together.

You guys that are trying to argue in earlier threads that Parkview's recent success is just a blimp on the radar, are just proving the points being made by people that are concerned by the situation. The fact that they have no history of success until the Glissman years, but do so now, shows you exactly what this behavior can do to further a program.

It should be noted, Parkview is not the only smaller class school in the state to build a basketball program on such a strategy.

Right or wrong, agree or disagree.....I have no dog in the fight. Just found the thread interesting on a Friday afternoon.

Some history on the Parkview situation -

1. Garth Glissman was the boy's coach when Parkview decided to become "competitive"
2. As stated somewhere in this thread, there's been a few issues with NSAA compliance along the way...such as foreigners that weren't your average run of the mill "exchange" student.
3. Lucky for Parkview....Coach Glissman was an attorney....so no need to send a bill when issues needed resolved.
4. It was widely rumored that Glissman coached his squads for free.
5. Coach Glissman is now legal counsel for the NBA.

I guess in my mind....Glissman and Parkview used everything to their advantage when they wanted to build a program. They were in a good spot when all the pieces come together.

You guys that are trying to argue in earlier threads that Parkview's recent success is just a blimp on the radar, are just proving the points being made by people that are concerned by the situation. The fact that they have no history of success until the Glissman years, but do so now, shows you exactly what this behavior can do to further a program.

It should be noted, Parkview is not the only smaller class school in the state to build a basketball program on such a strategy.

Right or wrong, agree or disagree.....I have no dog in the fight. Just found the thread interesting on a Friday afternoon.
Yes, believe they had Henry Tanksley (Peru St) Nosa Iyagbaye (WSC), and a Lithuanian kid who ended up being ineligible while Glissman was there.

I have always been in favor of a multiplier, contrary to the varying opinions of the idea. Now I am not saying that it will be an absolute equalizer nor am I saying that a Class A parochial needs to move up to the College ranks (which is absurd by the way). Also, I am not saying that an 8 man school should be forced up to 11 man. What I am saying is that there will be some situations in which this solution may have an effect of equalization and that is better than just pretending that there is no advantage.

In many cases, the multiplier will result in no change in Class. Others will move a school from D-2 to D-1, or D-1 to C-2. Ok, what about football? You just look at it and see. Maybe the rule states that a team can't be bumped from 8 man to 11 man. Or maybe we create the so badly wanted 9 man Class. Who knows what to do, it isn't really the point. The point is that there is a way to figure it out if the schools want to.

My issue with parochial schools has always been the schools that have lost the athletes, not so much the schools that get them. Humphrey St Francis (as an example because they were mentioned in the post earlier, nothing against St Francis at all) may have 3 starting boys basketball players on that reside in the Madison School District. All 3 would have been starting for Madison. Madison gets no concession whatsoever. They developed these kids within their community youth program, community members coached these boys starting in 3rd grade. They built a cohesive group of kids that played together and learned to understand the game as a group. Now 9th grade comes around and they transfer and Madison is left with what?

I don't have all of the answers, but I certainly believe we can come up with something if we really want to.

I have always been in favor of a multiplier, contrary to the varying opinions of the idea. Now I am not saying that it will be an absolute equalizer nor am I saying that a Class A parochial needs to move up to the College ranks (which is absurd by the way). Also, I am not saying that an 8 man school should be forced up to 11 man. What I am saying is that there will be some situations in which this solution may have an effect of equalization and that is better than just pretending that there is no advantage.

In many cases, the multiplier will result in no change in Class. Others will move a school from D-2 to D-1, or D-1 to C-2. Ok, what about football? You just look at it and see. Maybe the rule states that a team can't be bumped from 8 man to 11 man. Or maybe we create the so badly wanted 9 man Class. Who knows what to do, it isn't really the point. The point is that there is a way to figure it out if the schools want to.

My issue with parochial schools has always been the schools that have lost the athletes, not so much the schools that get them. Humphrey St Francis (as an example because they were mentioned in the post earlier, nothing against St Francis at all) may have 3 starting boys basketball players on that reside in the Madison School District. All 3 would have been starting for Madison. Madison gets no concession whatsoever. They developed these kids within their community youth program, community members coached these boys starting in 3rd grade. They built a cohesive group of kids that played together and learned to understand the game as a group. Now 9th grade comes around and they transfer and Madison is left with what?

I don't have all of the answers, but I certainly believe we can come up with something if we really want to.
Have to remember Madison also has a Catholic elementary school too. Madison is in a tough situation being in the middle of Norfolk and Humphrey. If people have options they will utilize those options.

Also why should someone be limited to only going to school where they live? I remember when a public school district near where I grew up one season had 3 starters on the basketball team from our district. 2 others who came off the bench. They all left after 6th grade. It was what it was. It happens everywhere.

Reactions: mww

Did you ever think maybe the parents just wanted their kids to have a faith based education and sports had nothing to do with it?

Did you ever think maybe the parents just wanted their kids to have a faith based education and sports had nothing to do with it?
Like I have said before I am all for and fully support a faith based education, but I am against the foreign exchange program, because Parkview has shown how it can be and is being abused and that Nebraska students and residents are being effected by this. Like I said it is the Nebraska state title game not the world state title game. This is a can of worms that will only grow and will become a major problem thanks to one coach and one school.

Reactions: BigBallerRed
Have to remember Madison also has a Catholic elementary school too. Madison is in a tough situation being in the middle of Norfolk and Humphrey. If people have options they will utilize those options.

Also why should someone be limited to only going to school where they live? I remember when a public school district near where I grew up one season had 3 starters on the basketball team from our district. 2 others who came off the bench. They all left after 6th grade. It was what it was. It happens everywhere.

I clearly stated in my post that Madison/St Francis was an arbitrary example for the purpose of trying to convey a message using real geography.

Yes, these things do happen. That isn't the point. The point is that the end result creates an imbalance which could easily be accounted for if the member schools wanted to account for it. What I see is a bunch of people throwing their arms in the air in defeat rather than trying to solve a problem.

Did I ever think???? What does that mean?

The assumption for me is that the ONLY reason kids go to parochial schools is for the faith based education. Why else would a family drop $5K per year...for sports? No, they do it for the education.

But, that (again) is not the point. The point is that an imbalance results from this and that imbalance can easily be corrected if we would just try.

I hear the argument that a multiplier doesn't work and has no imbalance correcting effect. If that is the case, why all of the push back? If it has no net effect then let's just make the change and go on.

Has Parkview ever actually won anything? I watched them in the MUDECAS tourney a couple years ago and they were an undisciplined mess.

Reactions: Yossarian23
Has Parkview ever actually won anything? I watched them in the MUDECAS tourney a couple years ago and they were an undisciplined mess.

I understand what you are getting at, but I believe that it is irrelevant. The team has qualified for the State Tournament a few times recently so they have obviously won SOMETHING.

I don't favor evaluating situations based purely upon success of a program. For one thing, it always opens the argument "if this team was .500, nobody would say a word about it".

so what you are saying, is that even though we all know something fishy and recruiting overseas players is taking place, wait until they win then do something about it. Seems a bit reactive instead of proactive.

so what you are saying, is that even though we all know something fishy and recruiting overseas players is taking place, wait until they win then do something about it. Seems a bit reactive instead of proactive.
What? Umm, no I asked if they had won anything because when I saw them they were an undisciplined mess. You kinda read between the lines, huh? I played against FCSH football in playoffs in the early 90's when they were on a long winning streak. We were told they had players from Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas. Not the same thing but kinda the same. Obviously nothing is going to change.

What? Umm, no I asked if they had won anything because when I saw them they were an undisciplined mess. You kinda read between the lines, huh? I played against FCSH football in playoffs in the early 90's when they were on a long winning streak. We were told they had players from Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas. Not the same thing but kinda the same. Obviously nothing is going to change.
played against some of those exact same teams, they had players from Nebraska, but I will say they had players from 6 different cities or towns

Could you give the name of one player for FCSH that came from Iowa, Missouri or Kansas? Easy to say this is what you heard. How about some facts?
He didn't say that I did. As I remember it, our boosters made a meal for the teams after the playoff game and we were talking to guys on their team. That's what they said. It was 1991 so try not to get your shorts in a twist.

He didn't say that I did. As I remember it, our boosters made a meal for the teams after the playoff game and we were talking to guys on their team. That's what they said. It was 1991 so try not to get your shorts in a twist.
I knew a bunch of those players from that team, I do not remember any from other states, but I could be wrong, I know they kids from Shubert, Stella, Barada, Salem and Falls City, some of those towns are 20 miles away but all with in the county

Someone better put some regulations out on Mead! They took it to Parkview and all of their recruits last night! That village of 600 found a way to develop players to be pretty darn good.
so you are good with recruiting exchange students, win or lose it is not right and waiting until they win every game to point out the abuse is just ignorance

Reactions: BigBallerRed
so you are good with recruiting exchange students, win or lose it is not right and waiting until they win every game to point out the abuse is just ignorance

I know it's fishy, and I know it looks bad. I totally agree, but as long as they are following the rules set forth by the member schools of the NSAA, then there's nothing that needs to be done. Once enough schools have a problem, they'll write a proposal. Thing is that the proposals for change are available to the public for viewing and I don't recall one being written any time recently.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I know it's fishy, and I know it looks bad. I totally agree, but as long as they are following the rules set forth by the member schools of the NSAA, then there's nothing that needs to be done. Once enough schools have a problem, they'll write a proposal. Thing is that the proposals for change are available to the public for viewing and I don't recall one being written any time recently.
Because of them they had to write a proposal a few years back, that you must go with a J1 visa program, which places exchange students in any school but What has happen now, is a new J1 visa program has formed that places them in school of choice, and currently that school is only one school only in Nebraska and its PC. So this is the second time the coach for this school has found away around the rule or a loop hole. NSAA and its member schools do not have the resources or the money to constantly find loop holes and governor all foreign exchange programs. In my opinion this is one coach and one school and instead of addressing this every four years with another proposal as they find a loop hole yet again This coach and school should be help accountable for constantly corrupting the rules and system

The average population in the D2 quarter finals is roughly 64,500 people!
I am not sure but I would bet the farm that the only D2 schools in a town or city greater than 2500 are private school. In D2 and D1 the location of a school to draw athletes is a huge advantage and I know all school have open enrollment to get kids but we also know 95% of D2 schools do not have any one near to draw

If I remember correctly, Palmyra High School had like 3-4 transfers from Lincoln East and no one had a problem. To be clear I went to public school and see recruitment happening in the public schools all the time.

Where are all the parents and kids that get rejected from these private schools so that the schools can control enrollment? I hear this excuse all the time but have never heard a school not actually declining a family admission because their sons jump shot in 1st grade doesn’t look good.

If I remember correctly, Palmyra High School had like 3-4 transfers from Lincoln East and no one had a problem. To be clear I went to public school and see recruitment happening in the public schools all the time.

Where are all the parents and kids that get rejected from these private schools so that the schools can control enrollment? I hear this excuse all the time but have never heard a school not actually declining a family admission because their sons jump shot in 1st grade doesn’t look good.

I believe that if the NSAA Member Schools are not willing to apply any type of multiplier to parochial schools, then the message is pretty clear......recruit players in public schools as well. If I were a coach I would be putting an extremely talented Jr High aged AAU/Club team on the court all summer long. This team would consist of kids near my town that I believe could be swayed my direction for High School basketball. I would be in the parents' ear and have a very strong presence in these small surrounding communities. I would be putting on clinics and inviting all of these kids, running a van over to pick them up, you get the idea.

I believe that if the NSAA Member Schools are not willing to apply any type of multiplier to parochial schools, then the message is pretty clear......recruit players in public schools as well. If I were a coach I would be putting an extremely talented Jr High aged AAU/Club team on the court all summer long. This team would consist of kids near my town that I believe could be swayed my direction for High School basketball. I would be in the parents' ear and have a very strong presence in these small surrounding communities. I would be putting on clinics and inviting all of these kids, running a van over to pick them up, you get the idea.

Yep, agree 100%. It's been going on for many years already in the public system.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
All I will say is this. My sons team played Parkview last year in a district title game. Parkview had 6 of their top 7 players were seniors. This year we watched them at state and they have 1 player playing that played last year and the rest were all new and they are juniors and seniors. There are no other teams in D2 that can do that.

All I will say is this. My sons team played Parkview last year in a district title game. Parkview had 6 of their top 7 players were seniors. This year we watched them at state and they have 1 player playing that played last year and the rest were all new and they are juniors and seniors. There are no other teams in D2 that can do that.

Actually, every team in D2 COULD do that if they choose to. I understand your point and agree with what you are saying. My point is that there are no rules to prevent any school in the state from doing this.

Already happens wish there was a option enrollment sheet. Two schools in our conference both state qualifiers start more kids from neighboring cities than local.

And that is the lesson. Time for more teams to start "playing by the rules" which state that it is 100% within the rules to bring kids in from neighboring cities. It is unfortunate that it has to come to this, but that is the state of High School basketball in Nebraska.

And that is the lesson. Time for more teams to start "playing by the rules" which state that it is 100% within the rules to bring kids in from neighboring cities. It is unfortunate that it has to come to this, but that is the state of High School basketball in Nebraska.
I think the point is Parkview has 250,000 in their nearby compared to 10,000 for most class D schools. Not a great comparison.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Actually, every team in D2 COULD do that if they choose to. I understand your point and agree with what you are saying. My point is that there are no rules to prevent any school in the state from doing this.
You are wrong very very few D2 Schools can do this They most live in areas that can not draw from for more than 30+ miles

Here’s your sales pitch:

Hey kid who can’t get on the court at your Lincoln or Omaha based Class A school! Why don’t you pack up your high tops, leave your family and move 200 miles west to BFE Nebraska population 217? You will be sure to start for the local high school and absolutely not miss your life back home at all.

Here’s your sales pitch:

Hey kid who can’t get on the court at your Lincoln or Omaha based Class A school! Why don’t you pack up your high tops, leave your family and move 200 miles west to BFE Nebraska population 217? You will be sure to start for the local high school and absolutely not miss your life back home at all.
lol and also you going to be dirt poor because we wont be able to find your parents a job but yeah come one

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT