ADVERTISEMENT

I’ve got a few questions about Parkview Christian

I think the point is Parkview has 250,000 in their nearby compared to 10,000 for most class D schools. Not a great comparison.

Yes, but the Nebraska schools won't vote to do a parochial multiplier or anything else to level that situation. There is nothing that can be done about population base under the current rules.

However, (as an example) Clarkson/Leigh can go round up the kid from Creston that would otherwise go to Lakeview, they can round up the kid from Stanton, and they can get a kid from Howells to come over. Now you have a completely different team and are acting well within the rules and there is not consequence of moving up a class in the process.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Yes, but the Nebraska schools won't vote to do a parochial multiplier or anything else to level that situation. There is nothing that can be done about population base under the current rules.

However, (as an example) Clarkson/Leigh can go round up the kid from Creston that would otherwise go to Lakeview, they can round up the kid from Stanton, and they can get a kid from Howells to come over. Now you have a completely different team and are acting well within the rules and there is not consequence of moving up a class in the process.
I agree with your point, the population of a city really can not come into this conversation, because if Nebraska schools waned to change that all they have to do is get the D1 and D2 public school to vote a multiplier in and they have not, so it must not be an issue. My issue is with having exchange players and that all

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Yutan, population 1100
GI, population 49,000, plus I believe a couple key players from other places. Not just D classes.

Did anyone see Huskerland Bob’s number 4 team in his D2 rankings? Parkview Christian has 8 new transfers from 4 different schools including 3 different countries. My questions are:
1. Why does the NSAA allow them to recruit on such a grand scale?
2. Why is a school that obviously has a population of 250,000 plus allowed to compete in Nebraska’s smallest class?
3. Why didn’t they win it last year with all those new recruits?
4. Does their coach spend too much time recruiting and not enough on teaching fundamentals?

I would love to hear what others think about this. I really don’t understand why the NSAA allows this.
We played them in 1997 at their place, one of our guys set a hard, but legal screen and their pastor jumped off the stage and got in my teammates face... craziest thing I’ve ever experienced. I’ve hated them ever since, and maybe even more now because of the bullshit “mission” work going on with them.

Just a clarification..... Creston is a combination of Leigh, Humphrey and Lakeview districts and when you buy a house in that town, you can choose which district you’d like to be in. That being said, Creston has a TON of talent that comes out of that town/area.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
We played them in 1997 at their place, one of our guys set a hard, but legal screen and their pastor jumped off the stage and got in my teammates face... craziest thing I’ve ever experienced. I’ve hated them ever since, and maybe even more now because of the bullshit “mission” work going on with them.

Big, powerlifting type pastor or did he arrive later?

I noticed the big guy in their crowds as an "animated" fan 5 or so years ago, and when I found out he was their pastor it blew my mind.

Big, powerlifting type pastor or did he arrive later?

I noticed the big guy in their crowds as an "animated" fan 5 or so years ago, and when I found out he was their pastor it blew my mind.
I don’t remember him being a big guy, but that was 24 years ago though....

Just a clarification..... Creston is a combination of Leigh, Humphrey and Lakeview districts and when you buy a house in that town, you can choose which district you’d like to be in. That being said, Creston has a TON of talent that comes out of that town/area.

In outstate Nebraska, you can choose which district you'd like to be in no matter where you live. A kid that lives in Lindsay is free to go to school in Battle Creek, Twin River, Boone Central, or anywhere else. Just opt in before the spring deadline and as long as the school will take you (remember we are talking about athletes here) it's that simple.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I agree with your point, the population of a city really can not come into this conversation, because if Nebraska schools waned to change that all they have to do is get the D1 and D2 public school to vote a multiplier in and they have not, so it must not be an issue. My issue is with having exchange players and that all

Ya, the exchange player thing is a tough one. We all know what the traditional exchange student looks like athletically. The come from a different culture where football and basketball my not even be something that they have been exposed to. They may get to be on the team as an experience builder for them but will rarely contribute because they just don't know the games.

Now the system has to figure out how to handle these kids with the same rules as the kids that are brought in for the purpose of sports.

I just feel like a multiplier would help cover this, but what do I know.

Ya, the exchange player thing is a tough one. We all know what the traditional exchange student looks like athletically. The come from a different culture where football and basketball my not even be something that they have been exposed to. They may get to be on the team as an experience builder for them but will rarely contribute because they just don't know the games.

Now the system has to figure out how to handle these kids with the same rules as the kids that are brought in for the purpose of sports.

I just feel like a multiplier would help cover this, but what do I know.

I don't think a multiplier would help much in Parkview's case. For example, this year their boy's enrollment is 18. The multiplier I've seen floated around in the past is 1.34. If that were used their enrollment would still make them D2. I know Illinois uses a 1.65 multiplier. A 1.65 multiplier would push Parkview barely into D1. Another side discussion here but the difference between the top teams in D2 and D1 is not that large.

Parkview in D1 would be just as competitive as D2. They played 23 regular season games this year, 14 being against C1, C2, or D1 schools. In those games they were 13-1. If they were D1 they would likely play pretty close to the same regular season schedule with similar results. Parkview could have reached the D1 Championship game just as easily this year. A multiplier would move the needle but not very much.

Lastly, let's say Parkview gets pushed up all the way to C1 or even B or A as the result of some extreme multiplier. I could see that program doing the exact same thing they are doing now but with much better players. Now Nebraska has a program similar to Sunrise Christian in Wichita.

I don't think a multiplier would help much in Parkview's case. For example, this year their boy's enrollment is 18. The multiplier I've seen floated around in the past is 1.34. If that were used their enrollment would still make them D2. I know Illinois uses a 1.65 multiplier. A 1.65 multiplier would push Parkview barely into D1. Another side discussion here but the difference between the top teams in D2 and D1 is not that large.

Parkview in D1 would be just as competitive as D2. They played 23 regular season games this year, 14 being against C1, C2, or D1 schools. In those games they were 13-1. If they were D1 they would likely play pretty close to the same regular season schedule with similar results. Parkview could have reached the D1 Championship game just as easily this year. A multiplier would move the needle but not very much.

Lastly, let's say Parkview gets pushed up all the way to C1 or even B or A as the result of some extreme multiplier. I could see that program doing the exact same thing they are doing now but with much better players. Now Nebraska has a program similar to Sunrise Christian in Wichita.

Excellent points. My opinion is that if the argument (not your post, the general consensus when discussed in the past) against a multiplier is that it won't make a difference then go ahead and implement it. It either will or will not make a difference, but at least the NSAA is recognizing the challenges that exist and can say that they are trying.

Reactions: nenebskers

You're right. Probably best to just keep them in D2 where Goltz can keep a foot on them.

Is FCSH's success more of a function of excellent coaching or recruitin'? To me sustained success like that is more than likely a result of great coaching and development but I may be naive.

Is FCSH's success more of a function of excellent coaching or recruitin'? To me sustained success like that is more than likely a result of great coaching and development but I may be naive.
That one is probably a little bit of both. They've had a stud or two come in, but there is a lot of development there.

excellent recruiting and has been for many many years, when this run all started back in 89 and 90. 4 of the 8 starters in football and 3 of the 5 in basketball where from surrounding school districts, they have done a great job of getting kids to come to that school, all with in the rules but if you live with in 30 miles of falls city which is like another 10 small towns they go to FCSH if they want to win. Add that with the 4150 in Falls city and another 7 or 8 towns across state line, it is a pretty good deal for FCSH, now dont get me wrong, you still have to have a good guy to coach that bunch and they do

excellent recruiting and has been for many many years, when this run all started back in 89 and 90. 4 of the 8 starters in football and 3 of the 5 in basketball where from surrounding school districts, they have done a great job of getting kids to come to that school, all with in the rules but if you live with in 30 miles of falls city which is like another 10 small towns they go to FCSH if they want to win. Add that with the 4150 in Falls city and another 7 or 8 towns across state line, it is a pretty good deal for FCSH, now dont get me wrong, you still have to have a good guy to coach that bunch and they do

I don't disagree but don't all private schools recruit every single student to some degree? Not trying to get into a large discussion here but we also have to remember that the FCSH, Cedar Catholics, O'Neil St Mary's, even the larger C2 and C1 private schools literally have to some degree recruited every single student they have, not just athletes. Do they recruit a superb athlete in a neighboring weaker school district a little harder especially if the student is of the same faith, yeah probably so. But remember, these schools also do not have district lines. If they stop recruiting these schools end up being the next Lindsey Holy Family, Randolph St Francis, Emerson Sacred Heart, Lexington St. Ann, Sidney St. Patrick, etc of tomorrow.

I don't disagree but don't all private schools recruit every single student to some degree? Not trying to get into a large discussion here but we also have to remember that the FCSH, Cedar Catholics, O'Neil St Mary's, even the larger C2 and C1 private schools literally have to some degree recruited every single student they have, not just athletes. Do they recruit a superb athlete in a neighboring weaker school district a little harder especially if the student is of the same faith, yeah probably so. But remember, these schools also do not have district lines. If they stop recruiting these schools end up being the next Lindsey Holy Family, Randolph St Francis, Emerson Sacred Heart, Lexington St. Ann, Sidney St. Patrick, etc of tomorrow.
I agree, they must recruit to keep open, not arguing that one bit

I would argue that nobody recruits as effectively or with as many resources as PUBLIC SCHOOLS do. I certainly see more ads on our local TV for neighboring public schools than I do the private ones. Add in the massive "I love Public Schools" campaign, full tuition scholarship, better facilities, uniforms, budgets, sometimes transportation allowances...seems like a pretty sweet deal compared to "Here is your bill for tuition...can we get a donation, and since you're here please sign up for field clean-up..."

Reactions: HuskerO and mww
I would argue that nobody recruits as effectively or with as many resources as PUBLIC SCHOOLS do. I certainly see more ads on our local TV for neighboring public schools than I do the private ones. Add in the massive "I love Public Schools" campaign, full tuition scholarship, better facilities, uniforms, budgets, sometimes transportation allowances...seems like a pretty sweet deal compared to "Here is your bill for tuition...can we get a donation, and since you're here please sign up for field clean-up..."
Do not disagree one bit, both recruit and have for sometime now

I am not against a faith based education, I 100% support it. I am also not a fool and I am very familiar with the advantages of being in a small class but school is in a big city.

I am not against a faith based education, I 100% support it. I am also not a fool and I am very familiar with the advantages of being in a small class but school is in a big city.
No, I get it. And it would totally be ok even if you WERE anti-private schools. No worries. And yes, I see your point about the small class deal. I would continue to argue that better than that, even, is to be a Malcolm, Yutan, Pamyra, Amherst, Elm Creek, Maxwell, Hershey, Doniphan, Lakeview, etc., etc., etc. You give me a public Class C or D school 20 minutes or less from a 20k (+) population center and I'm going to get kids. Heck, if you live in East Kearney how long does it REALLY take to get to Gibbon HS compared to KHS? Please note I'm not accusing any of the listed schools of anything diabolical or even crooked. Just pointing out natural geographic advantages. And if I'd grab a map I could probably list several dozen more. I just don't think it's strictly a Parkview Christian advantage. Why not just do a version of what legion baseball used to do? You take on 10%, shoot 5%, of the enrollment of any district you accept a transfer from after 7th grade. So if you take a kid from a small A, you add roughly 23 boy count to your enrollment (5% of 460). Seems fair and equitable to me.

Reactions: saluno22
No, I get it. And it would totally be ok even if you WERE anti-private schools. No worries. And yes, I see your point about the small class deal. I would continue to argue that better than that, even, is to be a Malcolm, Yutan, Pamyra, Amherst, Elm Creek, Maxwell, Hershey, Doniphan, Lakeview, etc., etc., etc. You give me a public Class C or D school 20 minutes or less from a 20k (+) population center and I'm going to get kids. Heck, if you live in East Kearney how long does it REALLY take to get to Gibbon HS compared to KHS? Please note I'm not accusing any of the listed schools of anything diabolical or even crooked. Just pointing out natural geographic advantages. And if I'd grab a map I could probably list several dozen more. I just don't think it's strictly a Parkview Christian advantage. Why not just do a version of what legion baseball used to do? You take on 10%, shoot 5%, of the enrollment of any district you accept a transfer from after 7th grade. So if you take a kid from a small A, you add roughly 23 boy count to your enrollment (5% of 460). Seems fair and equitable to me.
I’ve heard that lots of kids that live in or near Kearney go to school in elm creek, Amherst or Pleasanton

Reactions: 253847
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT