ADVERTISEMENT

Boone Central-Newman Grove split

fbnut999

Freshman
Sep 6, 2004
Just read that the Boone Central board will not renew the co-op with Newman Grove after the current agreement runs out after 2023-2024.

Just wondering why. Is BC growing? And how many kids does Newman Grove have? Is it enough to sustain their own programs?

Looks like Newman Grove's boys count for Fball classifications was 19, Boone Central was 81.

Wonder if Newman Grove will look into an athletic coop with Humphrey High in light of the Lindsey/HSF news.

Reactions: bullhusk
Looks like Newman Grove's boys count for Fball classifications was 19, Boone Central was 81.

Wonder if Newman Grove will look into an athletic coop with Humphrey High in light of the Lindsey/HSF news.
I was thinking that too, Blue! Wierd to drive right through Lindsay to Humphrey High. How far is it to St. Ed? Would that be an option?

I was thinking that too, Blue! Wierd to drive right through Lindsay to Humphrey High. How far is it to St. Ed? Would that be an option?
St. Ed is only a 22 minute drive so that could easily work. Possibly Madison too, but I'm not sure NG would want to join up with a larger town again.

Just read that the Boone Central board will not renew the co-op with Newman Grove after the current agreement runs out after 2023-2024.

Just wondering why. Is BC growing? And how many kids does Newman Grove have? Is it enough to sustain their own programs?
Where did you read it? I’d like to read it as well.

I bet Boone being C2 without NG in football would make them think about it.

Humphrey-Newman Grove makes a lot of sense.

Is it enough to sustain their own programs?

Here is what I pulled from the 23-24 enrollment numbers:

271 Creek Valley 40 40.3333*
272 Niobrara 40 40.0000
273 Maywood 40 37.0000
274 Minatare 39 42.6667*
275 Newman Grove 39 33.6667
276 Medicine Valley 38 42.6667*
277 Arnold 38 36.0000
278 Allen 38 35.3333
279 Lewiston 38 32.0000*

*Do not appear to be co-oped for major sports (football, volleyball, basketball, track)

I could put boys and girls numbers up too but their position is similar. Newman could go on their own if they want/needed to just as Creek Valley and Medicine Valley do. If they would want to is likely a whole other story I'm sure as they probably have more options than CV and MV. These two schools aren't real great examples of small schools thriving while being short on numbers.

Creek Valley is not on their own it is Lodgepole and Chappell consolidation. Consolidation started in the 2004-05 school year.

Creek Valley is not on their own it is Lodgepole and Chappell consolidation. Consolidation started in the 2004-05 school year.
I am well aware....but Creek Valley is not co-oped with anyone else....its just Creek Valley. Unlike Arnold who is with Calloway or Allen who is a part of Tri-County Northeast

Unfortunately times have changed in rural America. Nebraska is behind the eight ball. State agencies need to mandate consolidation like Iowa did many moons ago
Totally agree. Now, St. Edward and Newman Grove are not natural consolidation partners in my opinion. St. Edward should have been included in the Twin River merger or the Albion-Petersburg merger (Boone County High).

Current high school numbers for St. Ed and NG.

St. Ed
9th: 15 students
10th: 25 students
11th: 17 students
12th: 15 students

Newman Grove
9th: 13 students
10th: 12 students
11th: 14 students
12th: 8 students

Having 30-40 kids per grade is not "too big."

Rural America has changed a lot since 1983. People need to come to grips with that. Some communities are really benefitting from young families coming back. Like Humphrey, Pender, Albion, West Point, Pierce for example. But not all communities have that support.

Last edited:
I found these numbers interesting when it comes to consolidation. This is from the York News Times in 2021 discussing a merger between Fillmore Central and Exeter-Milligan. (16 miles from each other).

At the height of the discussions with Friend close to 100 community members attended the July 2020 school board meeting urging the board to explore other options including the feasibility of consolidation with Fillmore Central.

Fisher began with a discussion on population and enrollment numbers. The bottom line is that both numbers are decreasing in each community and the increase in average age reflects fewer school aged children.

Their predictions show that Exeter-Milligan would lose about 11 students over the next 10 years. While Fillmore Central would lose some, approximately 54, it would not be as significant. Ten years down the road they estimate EM enrollment at 132 and FC at 520.

The study showed where a consolidation could save money, in curriculum, more specifically in teachers.

Using the Exeter-Milligan average teacher salary, including benefits, the estimates of savings for teacher and staff with a merged district would be $1.24 million.

Deitz and Fisher also discussed facilities maintenance and repair and replacement projections. Using numbers from each superintendent the estimates are that Exeter-Milligan looks to spend $1.386 million on both campuses and Fillmore Central estimates $672,000. Both districts have an ADA accessible playground on their plan.

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
Firm disagree with this. The state level will never understand the needs of the local level better than those that live at the local level.
Agree with you hailvictors2. Nebraska is consistently in the top 10 of school rankings nationally while Iowa is in the 20's. This with Nebraska's state monetary support around 48th in the country. The local constituents should decide to keep their school if they want. The state shouldn't mandate anything in regards to forcing coops unless they want to fully fund it from their budget. Every board has a public meeting when setting the local levy. Once the state takes over, who knows what any community will get from the taxes they pay.

I found these numbers interesting when it comes to consolidation. This is from the York News Times in 2021 discussing a merger between Fillmore Central and Exeter-Milligan. (16 miles from each other).

At the height of the discussions with Friend close to 100 community members attended the July 2020 school board meeting urging the board to explore other options including the feasibility of consolidation with Fillmore Central.

Fisher began with a discussion on population and enrollment numbers. The bottom line is that both numbers are decreasing in each community and the increase in average age reflects fewer school aged children.

Their predictions show that Exeter-Milligan would lose about 11 students over the next 10 years. While Fillmore Central would lose some, approximately 54, it would not be as significant. Ten years down the road they estimate EM enrollment at 132 and FC at 520.

The study showed where a consolidation could save money, in curriculum, more specifically in teachers.

Using the Exeter-Milligan average teacher salary, including benefits, the estimates of savings for teacher and staff with a merged district would be $1.24 million.

Deitz and Fisher also discussed facilities maintenance and repair and replacement projections. Using numbers from each superintendent the estimates are that Exeter-Milligan looks to spend $1.386 million on both campuses and Fillmore Central estimates $672,000. Both districts have an ADA accessible playground on their plan.
This is all code for cutting jobs. Thats the reality. Roughly 85% of a school district's budget goes to salary/wages/benefits. The article conveniently sugar coats the estimated 1.24 million as "savings". Technically that might be true, but... it is 1.24 million of people you aren't paying anymore because you cut their job. Some would call that "savings", others would call that layoffs. I'm out on that. If the local communities are willing to pay those salaries (which they essentially are doing by voting to stay open, approve bonds, the levy, etc), then why should the state get a say in that?

Agree with you hailvictors2. Nebraska is consistently in the top 10 of school rankings nationally while Iowa is in the 20's. This with Nebraska's state monetary support around 48th in the country. The local constituents should decide to keep their school if they want. The state shouldn't mandate anything in regards to forcing coops unless they want to fully fund it from their budget. Every board has a public meeting when setting the local levy. Once the state takes over, who knows what any community will get from the taxes they pay.
When Iowa made this change (I believe in the 50's or 60's, the majority of school funding was coming from the State level. My dad was actually in school in Iowa when this change came about. The rural areas went to County Schools. I always found it odd when I would ask someone where they went to school and they would say "Davis County" ex. and I just didn't understand that. I remember thinking, I don't care what county you live in, where do you go to school. Then my dad explained it to me.

There are no changes or decisions regarding public education that should come down from the State Level in Nebraska. Why?...because they ain't payin'!

@hailvictors2 and @mikeneujahr , I agree with you here.

When Iowa made this change (I believe in the 50's or 60's, the majority of school funding was coming from the State level. My dad was actually in school in Iowa when this change came about. The rural areas went to County Schools. I always found it odd when I would ask someone where they went to school and they would say "Davis County" ex. and I just didn't understand that. I remember thinking, I don't care what county you live in, where do you go to school. Then my dad explained it to me.

There are no changes or decisions regarding public education that should come down from the State Level in Nebraska. Why?...because they ain't payin'!

@hailvictors2 and @mikeneujahr , I agree with you here.
You are 100% percent correct, these small schools are 90% funded by local tax dollars, it is a perfect example of local control and freedom, it is thier choice to pay and have a school. To wish otherwise is a vote for more big government and less local voter control

You are 100% percent correct, these small schools are 90% funded by local tax dollars, it is a perfect example of local control and freedom, it is thier choice to pay and have a school. To wish otherwise is a vote for more big government and less local voter control
This is true. If a town wants to keep a school open with 12 kids, and wants to pay for it, then that's the way it should be. I may not agree with it, but that's the right. You wonder what the opinion is of the farmer who owns all the land, pays most of the taxes, but still only has one vote. Land doesn't vote, but its paying for a lot of those schools.

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
This is true. If a town wants to keep a school open with 12 kids, and wants to pay for it, then that's the way it should be. I may not agree with it, but that's the right. You wonder what the opinion is of the farmer who owns all the land, pays most of the taxes, but still only has one vote. Land doesn't vote, but its paying for a lot of those schools.
I agree but lets be honest and this opinion may not be a look at as favorable one in Nebraska but can you honestly tell me how many poor farmers you know any more. With most farms now very large and corporate you are basically taxing the rich and farms are not getting smaller and land is now bought by the ultra wealthy and will be even more in the future. Before I get blasted here is few facts: In 1980 there was 68000 farms and today there is 44000 farms The average farm net income in Nebraska is $253,000 a year. The average for the rest of Nebraska residents is family net income is $86000 a year

Last edited:
I just want more opportunities for students who are the future of our great state. Students are going to get more opportunities in a larger district. And I'm not talking about a Class A B or C1 school even. There are plenty of communities that are neighbors that could consolidate, still have small classes and use their combined resources to provide more opportunities for kids. We could use a few more schools that are C2 size in this state.

I just want more opportunities for students who are the future of our great state. Students are going to get more opportunities in a larger district. And I'm not talking about a Class A B or C1 school even. There are plenty of communities that are neighbors that could consolidate, still have small classes and use their combined resources to provide more opportunities for kids. We could use a few more schools that are C2 size in this state.
Key words: You want this ( I just want ) but the people in those districts want the opportunities they see and vote for.

Reactions: CenterPanthers57
I do understand what your saying, although in the short term a coop doesn't save money until the facility upgrades are paid for and I think the overall cost savings can be a lot less then people think because a class of 40 takes 2 teachers instead of 1 for 20 students and labor is the largest cost to any district. Most schools (definitely not all) are also willing to look at pickup up activities such as golf/baseball/softball/wrestling/etc.. through a coop with neighboring districts while keeping the school in their town.

I completely agree with your stance. But we live and govern the way we do for a reason. The people who live there want to do it that way. That's on them. I would prefer that towns/districts are more progressive and forward thinking. They have every right to hold onto it as long as possible, despite it negatively impacting their students. Not everyone wants more opportunities for their kids. They may just want their kid to play or start or be within an arms reach of a school as opposed to putting them on a highway or dirt road for 20 miles. I don't have to agree with it. If people disagree with it in that district, they can pull their kids.

I agree but lets be honest and this opinion may not be a look at as favorable one in Nebraska but can you honestly tell me how many poor farmers you know any more. With most farms now very large and corporate you are basically taxing the rich and farms are not getting smaller and land is now bought by the ultra wealthy and will be even more in the future. Before I get blasted here is few facts: In 1980 there was 68000 farms and today there is 44000 farms The average farm net income in Nebraska is $253,000 a year. The average for the rest of Nebraska residents is family net income is $86000 a year
I completely agree that farmers, on average, probably make more money. That isn't the case all the time. Now, if the farmers are making 3x as much income, are they only paying 3x in as much property taxes? And there could be somebody living in town that makes more money than the farmer but lives in a home that's not anywhere near the value of land, and ends up paying less in property taxes. I'd be curious to look at some school districts that fit the criteria for merging and looking at what percentage of farmers/landowners are in support of sticking with the school district or seeking a merger.

I completely agree that farmers, on average, probably make more money. That isn't the case all the time. Now, if the farmers are making 3x as much income, are they only paying 3x in as much property taxes? And there could be somebody living in town that makes more money than the farmer but lives in a home that's not anywhere near the value of land, and ends up paying less in property taxes. I'd be curious to look at some school districts that fit the criteria for merging and looking at what percentage of farmers/landowners are in support of sticking with the school district or seeking a merger.
BUT That is the complete purpose of THE USA, so that every vote counts NOT JUST THE RICH

I completely agree with your stance. But we live and govern the way we do for a reason. The people who live there want to do it that way. That's on them. I would prefer that towns/districts are more progressive and forward thinking. They have every right to hold onto it as long as possible, despite it negatively impacting their students. Not everyone wants more opportunities for their kids. They may just want their kid to play or start or be within an arms reach of a school as opposed to putting them on a highway or dirt road for 20 miles. I don't have to agree with it. If people disagree with it in that district, they can pull their kids.
Nebraska needs more small towns to be progressive like Clearwater, Ewing and Orchard. Summerland is a great example of what can happen if people put the past aside. Their facility is awesome. Their student body is strong and they have a new identity.

The opportunities provided to kids is so much greater. The Summerland school is a perfect example. The opportunities in sports of actually having to compete for playing time builds character. More importantly are the opportunities they get academically and in other activities that aren’t athletically Related

Nebraska needs more small towns to be progressive like Clearwater, Ewing and Orchard. Summerland is a great example of what can happen if people put the past aside. Their facility is awesome. Their student body is strong and they have a new identity.
The whole summerland thing took like a decade for the towns to agree upon and it only finally got done after the OC co/op fell apart and Ewing had no where else to go. I’ll agree their facilities are great though. Hopefully they are able to get that county road repaved at some point too

The whole summerland thing took like a decade for the towns to agree upon and it only finally got done after the OC co/op fell apart and Ewing had no where else to go. I’ll agree their facilities are great though. Hopefully they are able to get that county road repaved at some point too
I know it took a decade. That’s why schools in a communities need to continue to talk about merger plans for down the road. Do the studies, gauge the student interest (because that’s who it should matter to at the end of the day.) It’s crazy it takes 10 years but I get it.

Just like Osceola for example. Osceola should be friendly with Cross County over the next few years. Osceola high school to Cross County is 10 miles. They already co-op wrestling. They already play softball together. The kids are friends. Osceola’s enrollment has decreased quite a bit over the last decade. Their overall population in 1980 was 975, 2020 was 875. Just like many small towns from the 80’s to current. Why can’t the kids go to school together? CC has the facility already.

There should have been a Polk County HS years ago. It’s just delaying the inevitable.

I know it took a decade. That’s why schools in a communities need to continue to talk about merger plans for down the road. Do the studies, gauge the student interest (because that’s who it should matter to at the end of the day.) It’s crazy it takes 10 years but I get it.

Just like Osceola for example. Osceola should be friendly with Cross County over the next few years. Osceola high school to Cross County is 10 miles. They already co-op wrestling. They already play softball together. The kids are friends. Osceola’s enrollment has decreased quite a bit over the last decade. Their overall population in 1980 was 975, 2020 was 875. Just like many small towns from the 80’s to current. Why can’t the kids go to school together? CC has the facility already.

There should have been a Polk County HS years ago. It’s just delaying the inevitable.
Just doesn’t work that way, summerland and boyd county are examples of it only working once all the communities get to the point that theirs just nothing left in them. Verdigre-Niobrara graduated 12 total kids last year, verdigre dumped a ton of money into their school like ten years ago against a lot of people’s wishes. Niobrara will be flush with money forever it seems and probably has one of the nicest facilities in northeast Nebraska. Idk how many they will graduate this year but both of their elementary enrollments are not in good shape.

I agree with this 100%. Having the bigger and better facilities such as Summerland is not a direct correlation of 1-1 for better opportunities for kids. Coming from a small school if I had not had the opportunity to be a 3 sport athlete all 4 years there is no way I would have went on to be a college athlete. I think you said it perfectly that some of these parents in these small schools just want their kids to be able to do whatever activities they want. Its possible these small schools struggling to stay open may not have the resources to get these students to their fullest potential, but how are we as the "Keyboard Warrior Nation" going to be the judge of that if the local tax payers are the ones willing to sacrifice to keep these schools open. Co-ops are great when the work but its hard getting that many people to agree especially when it comes to the funding and their kids. I would also like to say this thread has been refreshing with how much insight everyone has given and all the different views without anyone getting too grouchy because someone may not agree.

I would say that a merger with Shelby makes a bit more sense…. 6 miles away, they co-op many youth sports together.

I think it does too, just not sure if Shelby would want it.

There should be two high schools in that area, not four.

Shelby-Rising City-Osceola
Cross County-High Plains
Idk it would be hard to not recreate one of the best team mascots maybe ever…… The Stormdogs. I mean they did win a state title 50 percent of the time lol. (They were only together for two years for those of you wondering.)

I agree with this 100%. Having the bigger and better facilities such as Summerland is not a direct correlation of 1-1 for better opportunities for kids. Coming from a small school if I had not had the opportunity to be a 3 sport athlete all 4 years there is no way I would have went on to be a college athlete. I think you said it perfectly that some of these parents in these small schools just want their kids to be able to do whatever activities they want. Its possible these small schools struggling to stay open may not have the resources to get these students to their fullest potential, but how are we as the "Keyboard Warrior Nation" going to be the judge of that if the local tax payers are the ones willing to sacrifice to keep these schools open. Co-ops are great when the work but its hard getting that many people to agree especially when it comes to the funding and their kids. I would also like to say this thread has been refreshing with how much insight everyone has given and all the different views without anyone getting too grouchy because someone may not agree.
Totally agree. We can agree to disagree on points without getting hot at each other.

Viewpoints are interesting. I went to a small school (D1, graduated with 21 kids) and looking back, wish I would have gone to a C1 school. Just for more/different opportunities.

So how will this move impact conference affiliation? Newman Grove will be alone after the 2023-2024 school year. Unless the form a co-op with St. Ed and Humphrey High. Does NG join the Goldenrod? That seems like their best option.

They still have a year left on at least their football co-op. This is a two year cycle, and they won't be alone for the 2023-2024 school year in football. Boone Central/Newman Grove will exist for at least next year's football season.

Reactions: TC53
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT