ADVERTISEMENT

Schools moving to 8 man or moving up to 11 man (List)

Here is a complied list gathered from the message board, coaches, or other officials. Some of these may be hear say, but anyway its a list of schools considering a move. Considering does not mean they are moving.

Moving into 11-man
NONE

Moving into 8-man
Arcadia-Loup City
Cross County
HTRS
Elmwood-Murdock
Madison
North Platte St. Pats
Omaha Brownell-Talbot
Riverside
Southern

Moving into 6-man
Crawford
Creek Valley
Dorchester
Eustis-Farnam
Exeter-Milligan
Franklin
High Plains
Leyton
McCool Junction
Mead
Meridian
OCA
Pawnee City
Paxton
SEM
Stapleton/McPherson County
Sterling
St. Mary's
Stuart
Wallace
Winside

Don't know where you got info in 6 man teams. But
Maybe in a few more years. Hershey needs to expand their High school. They get a lot of kids from NP and would get more if they had more room.
That is what Maxwell has done. I believe their new facilities are almost complete.

Don't know where you got info in 6 man teams. But

That is what Maxwell has done. I believe their new facilities are almost complete.
Maxwell had to do something. I'm really surprised they have a school still. They needed major upgrades.

About the only school out that way that had one gym besides smaller schools like Hayes Center/Mullen/etc.

OK, I get exactly what you are saying. I think the problem was the perception. If I remember right, the original idea was not to just split C three ways. The idea was the new C1 would hold the bottom end of B as well, solving THAT problem too. Ideally, I had hoped C1 would be the low B's, Big C1's. C2 would be most of C1 and the top few of C2. And C3 would have been enrollments in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Keeping teams in 11 man, and even coaxing some back. If you generally have22-30 kids out you can field an 11 man team IF you are playing others like you. We'll never know now. I think gender based classification is a great idea. I'd do it for all sports, though.

Agree. I don't know why gender based hasn't been the norm for years when it's been done in other states for a while.

Maxwell had to do something. I'm really surprised they have a school still. They needed major upgrades.

About the only school out that way that had one gym besides smaller schools like Hayes Center/Mullen/etc.
Northeast, one of my 1st thoughts when Maxwell joined the RPAC was how are they going to host the 1st round of the basketball tournament in that gym. Fortunately, they will be hosting this year in their new facility

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Northeast, one of my 1st thoughts when Maxwell joined the RPAC was how are they going to host the 1st round of the basketball tournament in that gym. Fortunately, they will be hosting this year in their new facility
I'd love to see photos of it. Is it attached to their old school?

I've made the assumption that "opting down" is always about 8 man vs. 11 man. But reading the manual, it says nothing about that. Any schools looking at just playing down a class? C1 to C2, A to B, etc? I remember a number of years ago a C1 (Conestoga?) played 8 man. The manual is very specific in mentioning ONE class down.

I've made the assumption that "opting down" is always about 8 man vs. 11 man. But reading the manual, it says nothing about that. Any schools looking at just playing down a class? C1 to C2, A to B, etc? I remember a number of years ago a C1 (Conestoga?) played 8 man. The manual is very specific in mentioning ONE class down.

The way I've always read it is that 8 vs 11 is different then opt up or opt down. You declare 6, 8, or 11. Opting up or down would happen after teams have declared. The playoff eligibility has always complicated how its viewed. Makes me wonder if (and correct me if I'm wrong about this), a team that initially would be in D2 would choose to opt up to take advantage of better playoff odds if a lot of ineligible teams were playing 8 man. I believe teams that opt up are playoff eligible.

From rumors that I have heard, if C1 Louisville, who is on that bubble between C1 and C2, ends up in C1, they want to opt down to C2

The way I've always read it is that 8 vs 11 is different then opt up or opt down. You declare 6, 8, or 11. Opting up or down would happen after teams have declared. The playoff eligibility has always complicated how its viewed. Makes me wonder if (and correct me if I'm wrong about this), a team that initially would be in D2 would choose to opt up to take advantage of better playoff odds if a lot of ineligible teams were playing 8 man. I believe teams that opt up are playoff eligible.
That's a really interesting take. Kind of a ballsy move. It had better work out . for the sake of the decision makers. LOL Do you read it that a really dreadful C1 would not be allowed to play 8 man? By the manual it would seem they could opt down to C2 but only one class.

Big difference in opting and declaring. In football you declare 11 or 8 period, then those teams are classified. So you can declare 11 have an C-1 enrollment and OPT to play down 1 classification and not be eligible. Same school could DECLARE to play 8 man and not be eligible and play in D-1. Saying they OPT to 8 man is NOT correct, they DECLARE first.

Big difference in opting and declaring. In football you declare 11 or 8 period, then those teams are classified. So you can declare 11 have an C-1 enrollment and OPT to play down 1 classification and not be eligible. Same school could DECLARE to play 8 man and not be eligible and play in D-1. Saying they OPT to 8 man is NOT correct, they DECLARE first.
Sure. Would a C1 (or larger) be allowed to DECLARE for 8 man then? Seems silly that you wouldn't let a B play C2, but would let them play D1.

Sure. Would a C1 (or larger) be allowed to DECLARE for 8 man then? Seems silly that you wouldn't let a B play C2, but would let them play D1.

In theory, an A team could declare for 8 man if they wanted from the way I read it. I'm sure they wouldn't, but as written it could happen.

As far as the ballsy-ness of opting up in 8 man for better playoff odds, I can only see it making sense at the top end where the difference is 1 or 2 students from being in D1. With co-op schools playing on their own in basketball in some cases you may be in a no harm situation were your relative class is the same as where you would be anyway. Its a tricky theory and would probably depend on the situation. At the beginning of the current cycle 12 of 53 teams were not eligible for playoffs so you only needed to be better than 9 teams to make it. D2 you needed to be better than about 21 teams to make it.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Yes EVERY school is allowed to DECLARE every 2 years 8 or 11 regardless of student population. They then would be classified.

Just a little bit of info on the upcoming classification cycle. For 8-man football, there will be an even split between the ELIGIBLE teams for Classes D1 and D2. The ineligible teams will be set aside prior to the classification. After splitting them evenly, the ineligible will then be dumped into the D1 classification, making D1 bigger than D2, but with the same number of eligible teams.

This was part of the new proposal that passed with the boy enrollment numbers.

Just a little bit of info on the upcoming classification cycle. For 8-man football, there will be an even split between the ELIGIBLE teams for Classes D1 and D2. The ineligible teams will be set aside prior to the classification. After splitting them evenly, the ineligible will then be dumped into the D1 classification, making D1 bigger than D2, but with the same number of eligible teams.

This was part of the new proposal that passed with the boy enrollment numbers.

Good to know! That blows up my scenario lol!

for the sake of arguing here I believe Madison which is C1 but only has about 15 boys out is going to play 8 man next year is what I am hearing, with that said I would suppose they are not eligible for playoffs because of enrollment and they are going down 2 classes

I've been told that Valentine even though their numbers are c1 (70), will opt down to c2 and be ineligible.

This one blows my mind. I don't understand it at all.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

I have heard that the following have C-2 numbers and will play 11-man:
Norfolk Catholic
David City
David City Aquinas
NPSP
Bridgeport
Hershey
Mitchell
Gibbon
Centura
Wood River
St Paul
GICC

I have heard the following dropping down to 8-man:
Bayard
Kimball

You have to figure all of these schools listed are close to the line of being C1 or C2 with 69 boys being C2
34 Kearney Catholic 146
35 Chase County 143
36 Louisville 142
37 Norfolk Catholic 139
38 North Bend Central 139
39 Hershey 137
40 Mitchell 137
41 David City 135
42 Aquinas Catholic 134
43 Madison 133
44 Tekamah-Herman 131
45 Ord 130
46 Gibbon 129
47 Grand Island Central Catholic 129
48 Lincoln Lutheran 129
49 Wilber-Clatonia 129
50 Winnebago 129

Sort of related question to this topic, but shifting gears a little:

Are private school enrollments dropping? In Omaha and Lincoln where the population is regularly increasing (Lincoln's population has increased by 22,000 since 2010) you see schools like Pius moving up to A and then some of the Omaha parochial schools are growing as well. But what about other places?

Are schools outside of these places growing, maintaining, dropping? I ask because in the last 10 years or so we've seen St. Cecilia drop from C1 to C2, then this next cycle we're looking at Norfolk Catholic and GICC dropping to C2 as well. NP St. Pat's seems to be dipping over the years. Am I imagining this? Any guesses on why this may be happening? Just a by product of people moving to Lincoln/Omaha and out of those communities? Are "good catholic families" no longer being good catholic families (if you know what I mean)? Are public school educational opportunities and facilities improving to draw kids away from those?

For the love of god, let's not make this about recruiting, or about how if they are shrinking, then why are they still winning championships. That's played out. Let it go, bro. This is a legitimate question and I am curious if other people are seeing it this way and if they are seeing it in the even smaller communities like O'Neil or Humphrey, etc.

Thoughts?

Reactions: nenebskers
I think shrinking rural communities and the rising costs of tuition are the major reasons. Elgin Public and Pope John are now in Year 7 or 8 (?) of co-oping activities. Lindsay Holy Family now has combined with Humphrey High (why not St. Francis?) for the past 4-5 years, too.

I have a son in Catholic school in NE Nebraska and that monthly tuition bill keeps getting steeper and steeper. It's just under $3,600 for the year this year. He's had a good experience and so have we, but if we had younger children, we'd have to look even harder and possibly go to public just due to the cost.

I saw in the Norfolk paper that Norfolk Catholic's enrollment is actually up 8 students from last year. But that's K-12 and maybe the increase is in the younger grades. I know the senior class at Catholic is 65+ students and the junior class is only around 38, so the 3-year number will drop considerably. Maybe that's why people are guessing that NC will be C-2 next year....that and the number of schools dropping to 8-man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT