ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts....

Just for information, Kansas is seriously looking at adding a multiplier for parochial schools, similar to what Missouri does. The model in place in Missouri multiplies parochial school enrollment by 1.35 when determining classifications.
Kansas might be the closest to us in terms of demographics with an urban east and rural west. Not just compared to Missouri, but compared to any state. Do those states have open enrollment? To me, Nebraska adopting that changed everything. Before that, I probably would have been arguing for...something. But the disappearance of district boundaries took away, imo, the biggest advantage private schools had.

Reactions: nenebskers
So

...is there some law forcing you to live among us simpletons? Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in a more forward thinking place? Maybe somewhere where success is parcelled out by a carefully proscribed formula? Where good intentions outweigh results? Some place where meanies who play better aren't allowed to just win without being punished, might be a happier place for you. On behalf of all of us who simply aren't enlightened enough to understand the need to punish success, i apologize. I hear California calling for you....
You really have not been out of the your 5 county area, let alone the State have you. By golly we not going to change one darn bit, those other staes are a bunch of tree huggin idiots, we know what were doing hear in Nebraska screw the rest of the USA, NOW go get ready for your date, your sister is already ready :):):):):):):):):)

I understand what you are saying about #3. I do counter that this rule, like the things you've mentioned spring from EXACTLY the same root. Everyone needs to be special. No one should lose. It isn't "Fair"...etc., etc., etc. To me, those are massive, perhaps eventually fatal, societal flaws. If they are politicized it's because of one or the other of the political parties pandering for votes. To me this STILL reeks of something cooked up in the name of "diversity" on a college campus or some cockeyed, over-complicated rule pushed by our federal government to address a probably that not everyone even agrees is a problem. I'm sorry if that's too political, but I'll bet anyone on here that's a farmer or small business owner, whether or not they agree with me, would recognize it for what it is. What you call "right wing" is the sort of logic I learned from my Grandparents. And they were rock-ribbed Democrats. ;-)
#2 Not really. At least I didn't think I was. Sorry. But, wouldn't a tournament of champions be a blast? Hard to do in football, track we have times, but in wrestling take the top 4 of each class put them in a 16 and let 'er rip. BB could be Champs, round robin 2 3 team pools and then play 1st, 3rd, 5th place games.

For class structure no, definitely against a single class. But for, say, an early season or holiday basketball tournament of 64 teams from classes C1-D2? Or a tournament of champions? Ya. I'm all for that!

You really have not been out of the your 5 county area, let alone the State have you. By golly we not going to change one darn bit, those other staes are a bunch of tree huggin idiots, we know what were doing hear in Nebraska screw the rest of the USA, NOW go get ready for your date, your sister is already ready :):):):):):):):):)
You are a child.

There is an old cliché, “it’s hard to compare apples to oranges”. It's relevant here for this discussion. I've lived in ten different states due to my profession and most of the parochial schools I've seen have been in urban areas until coming here to Nebraska. I haven't lived in Kansas but did a little research.

In Kansas there are 16 parochial schools listed on: http://www.parochial.com/kansas/list.html that educate through the 12th grade. I don't know what athletic class they are. Of those 16 only three are located in communities of less than 20,000. They are: Pittsburgh, Tipton, Atchison (>10K). Atchison has less than 20K but more than 10K. Or about 19% of the schools from small communities.

In Nebraska there are 25 parochial schools listed. Of those 25 11 are from communities of less than 20K. Lindsay, O’Neal, West Point, Humphry, Hartington, Elgin, Elkhorn, Wahoo, Nebraska City, Falls City, David City. I haven't lived in Nebraska long enough to know if they are suburbs of larger communities or not. The population numbers came from suburbanstats.org.

I feel the size of the community is significant because of the demographic differences in larger communities. In a small community there isn't significant differences in the race, social/economic class, or other factors that are seen in urban areas. In small towns the difference comes from parental involvement. I have a hard time penalizing kids because their parents are involved in their education.

In an urban area there is more of a chance for kids who are good athletes to feel pressure to attend the private school. Many of those pressures are good academics, safer environment, and other factors including I'm sure some that are athletic, but I feel that most are what we all want for our kids. For me penalizing kids in Urban areas because they have gone to a better environment is also not something I'm in favor of.

My background is retired military, earned a teaching certificate, taught full time in a public school in a small town, before going into administration.

Just my thoughts and I know that I only looked at Catholic Parochial Schools not all private schools and that could change the numbers. This is a complicated subject and one that raises passions. The same reason people get upset with officials, they want their kids to have a fair chance and the success of the private schools brings that into question.

Maybe the strangest case of internet tough guy I've ever encountered... You are making a lot of assumptions. Compensate much?

Again, if we are too backwards for you; feel free to move.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Maybe the strangest case of internet tough guy I've ever encountered... You are making a lot of assumptions. Compensate much?

Again, if we are too backwards for you; feel free to move.
LOL just find it funny how nebraskans think the State of Nebraska is some how different then other states and use that very logic to defend a position the rest of the united states seems to see differently, that is so narrow minded it is very difficult to reason with. Especially when you know no matter what you say, in the end that will be the only and final defense they hang to. Sorry but that my man is backwards way of thinking.

LOL just find it funny how nebraskans think the State of Nebraska is some how different then other states and use that very logic to defend a position the rest of the united states seems to see differently, that is so narrow minded it is very difficult to reason with. Especially when you know no matter what you say, in the end that will be the only and final defense they hang to. Sorry but that my man is backwards way of thinking.
It is different. The above post proves it. If it were like the "catholic" schools in florida or louisiana it would be different.
You are the narrow minded one, thinking one size fits all and taking that approach. Also very narrow minded of you to not use your brain or any evidence regarding what catholic schools do and dont so in this state, instead basing your decision on " oh other states do this therefore we should too.
And we are the narrow minded ones :rolleyes:....sorry we just care enough to form an opinion b cause we dont like seeing kids get punished for success.

It is different. The above post proves it. If it were like the "catholic" schools in florida or louisiana it would be different.
You are the narrow minded one, thinking one size fits all and taking that approach. Also very narrow minded of you to not use your brain or any evidence regarding what catholic schools do and dont so in this state, instead basing your decision on " oh other states do this therefore we should too.
And we are the narrow minded ones :rolleyes:....sorry we just care enough to form an opinion b cause we dont like seeing kids get punished for success.
Success directly related to the rules they do not have to follow when it comes to enrollment and location of schools are generally all above by two classes. What would the classification landscape look like if we used the same system that legion ball used, based on population of area that players come from ?

I could care less about your "way of ""thinking"", to be totally honest with you. The terminal act of narrow mindedness is self-delusion and the intentional ignoring of facts. Our state IS a different breed of cat. Geographically, demographically, etc. To imagine a one-size fits all approach is the answer is beyond simple. You do realize that if enough people think like you, your kids will STILL get their butts kicked by some public school full of dirt-poor, wheelchair bound, non-English speakers, and sped kids with better genetics, better coaching, better administration, right? Punishing folks for success never helps the incompetent, it just punishes the excellent. Which is what most of these types REALLY want.

Reactions: Hi Lo Joe
I could care less about your "way of ""thinking"", to be totally honest with you. The terminal act of narrow mindedness is self-delusion and the intentional ignoring of facts. Our state IS a different breed of cat. Geographically, demographically, etc. To imagine a one-size fits all approach is the answer is beyond simple. You do realize that if enough people think like you, your kids will STILL get their butts kicked by some public school full of dirt-poor, wheelchair bound, non-English speakers, and sped kids with better genetics, better coaching, better administration, right? Punishing folks for success never helps the incompetent, it just punishes the excellent. Which is what most of these types REALLY want.
Now that was most definitely the final answer I was expecting from you, I thank you for making my point. :):):):):):):):):):):)

Nutty always has to have the last say in matters. he should be in politics or on the NSAA board of directors, then we would not even be having these issues.

Reactions: Hi Lo Joe
Give us examples of schools that give only athletes scholarships to attend their schools. People that choose private schools over public schools are not only paying taxes for the public school to operate, but are also making donations and paying tuition for children to attend private schools.

Again, provide specific examples of schools that are giving scholarships to only athletes to attend their school for the sole purpose of performing on the field, court, wrestling mat, track or golf course.

Giving Specific examples and student names probably isn't in anyones best interest.

Reactions: Artfour3
I just hope this monstrosity dies the painful death it so richly deserves. And these educational "leaders" proposing this have their 15 minutes of fame, and have their submission authority stripped. :) My last (maybe) thoughts on the matter are twofold. First why punish success? We used to try to emulate it. Now we run from it? Secondly, don't pretend I'm stupid. If you are punishing success, punish success. Don't use this proposal as a way to attack private schools. With all of the extra garbage it has a LOT less to do about actual success, and a lot more to do with punishing Christian schools. Give it a rest, or admit what you are. It's that simple.

I just hope this monstrosity dies the painful death it so richly deserves. And these educational "leaders" proposing this have their 15 minutes of fame, and have their submission authority stripped. :) My last (maybe) thoughts on the matter are twofold. First why punish success? We used to try to emulate it. Now we run from it? Secondly, don't pretend I'm stupid. If you are punishing success, punish success. Don't use this proposal as a way to attack private schools. With all of the extra garbage it has a LOT less to do about actual success, and a lot more to do with punishing Christian schools. Give it a rest, or admit what you are. It's that simple.
i think the argument should end and they should just separate private and public state titles, four classes of public and two classes of private

My concerns are these:
1. Kids will get hurt. You move the school up a level and you will see freshman/sophomores having to play against bigger kids. Smaller schools just don't have the depth. Because of this, they have to play underclassmen. A small C1 school moving up to B would be a big issue in football.
2. You have a successful class that puts you into the higher division. They graduate. The kids that are remaining have to take the punishment.
3. You should not tweak the system to help under-achieving. Goes back to everyone gets a trophy and juice box issue. Instead the NSAA needs to help programs get better. That helps everyone and mostly the kids.
4. Lastly, do you really think kids want to win this way? If you tweak things, to help under-achieving schools, then the championships will be tainted.

i think the argument should end and they should just separate private and public state titles, four classes of public and two classes of private
Do that and your Private School Classes look like this:
A
Creighton Prep (1590)
Pius X
Skutt
Mt Michael
Roncalli
Gross
Concordia/Street
Scotus
Kearney Catholic
Wahoo Neumann
DC Aquinas
GICC
Lincoln Christian
Norfolk Catholic
Linc. Lutheran
Brownell-Talbot
St Cecelia
Hartington CC
Bergan
Lutheran High NE
North Platte St Patricks (78)

B (8 Man)
Nebraska Lutheran (75)
Lourdes Central
GACC
College View
Omaha Christian
St Francis
Sacred Heart
Heartland Lutheran *
St Mary's
Cornerstone
Parkview
Spalding Academy
Lindsay Holy Family * (17)
* Played 6 man maybe?

Last edited:
Divided equally - 60 and 61 teams Public A ranges from:
Millard West (1922) to Boys Town (200)
Public B
Fairbury (198) to Humbolt-Table Rock-Stein... (86)
Public 8 - 95 Schools
Winnebago (121) to Wynot (34)
Public 6 - 23 schools
Harvard (74) to Sioux County (20)

Divided equally - 60 and 61 teams Public A ranges from:
Millard West (1922) to Boys Town (200)
Public B
Fairbury (198) to Humbolt-Table Rock-Stein... (86)
Public 8 - 95 Schools
Winnebago (121) to Wynot (34)
Public 6 - 23 schools
Harvard (74) to Sioux County (20)
Quite the difference in enrollment.

Quite the difference in enrollment.
Instead of dividing school I would use enrollment cut off numbers
Class A 849 and up
Class B 280 to 848
class C 139 to 279
Class D 138 below 11-man
8-Man 1 94 to 60
8-man 2 59 and below
This would be for Public, I would let Private set there own classes and cut offs

Last edited:
Do that and your Private School Classes look like this:
A
Creighton Prep (1590)
Pius X
Skutt
Mt Michael
Roncalli
Gross
Concordia/Street
Scotus
Kearney Catholic
Wahoo Neumann
DC Aquinas
GICC
Lincoln Christian
Norfolk Catholic
Linc. Lutheran
Brownell-Talbot
St Cecelia
Hartington CC
Bergan
Lutheran High NE
North Platte St Patricks (78)

B (8 Man)
Nebraska Lutheran (75)
Lourdes Central
GACC
College View
Omaha Christian
St Francis
Sacred Heart
Heartland Lutheran *
St Mary's
Cornerstone
Parkview
Spalding Academy
Lindsay Holy Family * (17)
* Played 6 man maybe?

Lutheran High vs Creighton Prep would be a great football game. Lutheran High suits 30 kids grades 9-12 and Prep suits 100 plus.

What do you do with Elgin Public/Elgin Pope John and Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family? Do they play in the public league or the private league?

Reactions: nenebskers
You're going to have a school with an enrollment of 250 play against schools with enrollments of 848. Looks pretty crazy to me.
Looking at it Class A could start at 800 and Class B could go 799 to 299 Class C 298 to 150 and class D 149 and below 8-Man 1 could go 100 to 65 and 8-man 2 64 and below

ADVERTISEMENT